Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Suspension and Tires

Unread 01-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
FJFJFJ
Driver

Default Ready for lift, any advice between king system OR Icon system.

Hello everybody, i'm prety much new in here and not an expert so most of the time in here i spend for reading, and after saving for a long time i'm ready for a lift . i have been reseach for few weeks now and end up with either King system or Icon full system, i never own any of their products so any advice , i will place an order in the end of this month.
1st choice. ( King system )
Front : King shocks w/Remote Reservoir, Total Chaos UCA.
Rear : King shocks w/Remote Reservoir, All Pro adj Lower/ Upper links, Icon Track bar.
2nd choice. ( ICON System )
Attachment 1727
Please any advice.
Ken.

Last edited by FJFJFJ; 02-18-2010 at 09:19 AM.
FJFJFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
bulldog
Admin

What do plan to do with your truck? What type of terrain/wheeling do you do?

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
Joel
Admin

I'd go with the brand that was specifically formulated for our trucks by owners of our trucks.
Overland Warehouse..
http://stores.overlandwarehouse.com/...Categories.bok

2004 Limited 4WD V8
Mods.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
I'd go with the brand that was specifically formulated for our trucks by owners of our trucks.
Overland Warehouse..
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
Ludedude
Super Moderator

Quote:
Overland Warehouse..
That's what I chose after doing my research. Now I'm just waiting for the parts to come in

But that wasn't his question
Ludedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Teotwaki
Adventurer

Thumbs up

When I bought some parts today at T&J's in Orange (Calif) I saw the RadFlo components in person and was very impressed with the build quality. I think that if you are watching for how many $$$ you are spending you'll get more suspension bang for the buck through Overland Warehouse
HQ sliders, OW Suspension, LT265/75/R16C Duratracs, rear diff. breather, ScanGauge II, Garmin 276C, Engel 45 fridge, All-Pro LCAs, TC A-Arm Skids, dual batteries, Downey skid plate, Cyclone pre-filter, ARB Compressor & Rear Locker!! Offroad Trailer
Photos http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1237
Teotwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
Teampez
Banned

Id go with www.toyteclifts.com, proven, fast shipping, customer serivce, and killer prices
$1825 vs. $1180 thats $640 for armor, tires or beer, lol

Last edited by Teampez; 01-06-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Teampez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #8
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teampez View Post
Id go with www.toyteclifts.com, proven, fast shipping, customer serivce, and killer prices
$1825 vs. $1180 thats $640 for armor, tires or beer, lol
With that argument Rough Country spacers will be an even better deal, but I doubt a wheeler looking at King and Icon setups are interested in that line of thought.

So back to my original questions for the OP, what are your plans for the truck and what type of terrain and wheeling does he plan? There are many good choices out there, but really depends on the persons plans and needs.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 01-07-2010, 06:12 AM   #9
Crozhawk
PRO ROCK 60s

I would recommend icon because it will bolt right up. You'll have to do some slight modification in the front for the kings. If you go with king, you'll want to pay close attention to which coils you choose for the front depending on whether you have or will have a bumper/winch up front. Also matching the rears to the right springs is a little more involved. Icon seems to have a nicely matched setup all around. Both are really nice... and rebuildable

Solid Axle Conversion
Crozhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 06:33 AM   #10
Teampez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
With that argument Rough Country spacers will be an even better deal, but I doubt a wheeler looking at King and Icon setups are interested in that line of thought.
woow sorry if I offended ya or pissed ya off, but now, lets compair "apples to apples"

Overland- $1825

ICON- (not a complete kit) $1399

Toytec Lifts- $1180

Im sure the OP will be doing more research, asking on other forums, asking shops that install lifts etc.
Teampez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #11
FJFJFJ
Driver

Quote:
What do plan to do with your truck? What type of terrain/wheeling do you do?
1st, thanks everybody for advices. my 4runner will be all terrain vehicle but more desert speed, like easy trail for family fun, camping, easy rock ok but NOT extreme rock crawler. i'm not the guy with $$ but i have patience and when it goes to modify i like to go w/ the good parts because i know i will not satisfy and end up replace them anyway . here is few pics of my boy .
I also plan to go in the future with ( ARB bumper, shrockworks slider, CBI rear bumper w/ tire carier ) so with all that weight what do you think ?
Attachment 1728
Attachment 1729
Attachment 1730
Kenny.

Last edited by FJFJFJ; 02-18-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
FJFJFJ
Driver

Quote:
Overland Warehouse..
BTW, i love your 4runner Joe, i saw it on " Toyota Owner" magazine and that is how i joined the forum.
Kenny.
BFG 265/70-17 AT KO, All-Pro HD Adj rear uper/lower links kit, OW 2.5 Full kit, medic link, spider trax, K&N intake kit. Kurt Diff bracket. Demello Hybrid bolt on slider. Shockworks Bumper. Bud full bottom + SS diff cover.Warn 9.5 XP with Master Pull XD rope. Front sway off, 2 ARB High Intensity LED.Flowmaster SS exhaut kit.
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
bulldog
Admin

Here is an option you might want to consider as well
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11816

As said above the Icon kit will bolt in, while you will have some work to do with the King setup. King seems to have a slightly better reputation than Icon for quality though, mostly due to some issues with coilover seals in the past and rear shocks on their lower end end on the Icon side. If you pick the Icon, make sure to get the 2.5" rear shocks, there has been way too many failures of their 2" shocks over the last few years.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #14
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
woow sorry if I offended ya or pissed ya off, but now, lets compair "apples to apples"

Overland- $1825

Toytec Lifts- $1180

Im sure the OP will be doing more research, asking on other forums, asking shops that install lifts etc.
Do you work for Toytec or something? Not offended at all, but your continues pimping of Toytec is tiresome to be honest.

Secondly you added no value to the OP question nor the thread, but simply pimped a product of a vendor you list in your sig line. May I ask which Mod or Admin you got permission from to do so as well? Also which mod or admin Toytec got permission from to advertise? Yes, I am affiliated with OW and actually responsible for working with Radflo to design their systems for the 4RUnner over a long period of time. However I do not go out and pimp it to everyone looking at a suspension, but rather try to understand their requirements and suggest the most appropriate setup for their specific needs.

Thirdly there is no apples to apples comparison of the 3 setups you listed. The Icon setup you list get closer, but the rear shocks are sorely lacking in this discussion. The Bilstein setup is not even in the same league. If you like to continue to discuss the comparisons in detail, feel free to start a new thread.

Similarly if you feel the need to discuss point 2 or 1 in detail, start anew thread or PM me. However please keep this thread on topic as much as possible, thx.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #15
Photog
Old Timer

I purchased my OME suspension from Toytech, and I must say that they provided good customer service.

I don't know what components Toytech uses for their front suspension, but the coils (red) look like they would have coil-bind problems.

The rear shocks are Bilstein (nothing special for the price). The front diff-drop does not help our rigs.

I have not heard any reports about this system; so I don't know how it compares to other coilover systems, or even OME. But; you would be paying for things you don't need (Diff drop), and not getting anything special (Bilstein street shocks), for the price.

If or when I switch to coil-overs, I will be getting the Radflo system, now that it is fully developed for our vehicles. I will keep my OME system, to install temporarily, when the Radflo needs rebuilt.
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.

Last edited by Photog; 01-07-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #16
BajaRnnr
Rock magnet

Quote:
Do you work for Toytec or something? Not offended at all, but your continues pimping of Toytec is tiresome to be honest.

Secondly you added no value to the OP question nor the thread, but simply pimped a product of a vendor you list in your sig line. May I ask which Mod or Admin you got permission from to do so as well? Also which mod or admin Toytec got permission from to advertise? Yes, I am affiliated with OW and actually responsible for working with Radflo to design their systems for the 4RUnner over a long period of time. However I do not go out and pimp it to everyone looking at a suspension, but rather try to understand their requirements and suggest the most appropriate setup for their specific needs.

Thirdly there is no apples to apples comparison of the 3 setups you listed. The Icon setup you list get closer, but the rear shocks are sorely lacking in this discussion. The Bilstein setup is not even in the same league. If you like to continue to discuss the comparisons in detail, feel free to start a new thread.

Similarly if you feel the need to discuss point 2 or 1 in detail, start anew thread or PM me. However please keep this thread on topic as much as possible, thx.

For the OP i can speak from experience here. My truck is setup for desert prerunning. I would stay away from King's unless you're doing a long travel setup. The OEM replacement coilovers utilize "prerunner" shocks which are less in quality and materials than their raceline "pro series shocks."

Icon is good, popular, been tested and proven as well as the less favorable Sway Away "Race Runner" line.

I have used a variety of shocks over the years on my past desert prerunners and my favorite for a daily driver with the best quality and materials is now Fox. All of Fox's shocks utilize top quality seals and materials, such as stainless steel shock shafts and high alloy non corrosive shock bodies. Fox do cost a pretty penny, but IMO well worth the value in performance and quality.

I have never experienced the performance of Radflo's, but i trust and value Andries opinion and knowledge of our platform. He has done a lot of trial and error as well as invested in perfecting the capabilities and limitations of our platform.

Bilsteins......... stay away from them!! I have blown and burned up so many sets of bilsteins in the past. They are too soft for prerunning and fade out quick. enough said......

hope i have shed some light in helping you decided, if not disregard this post
BajaRnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #17
Josh220
Old Timer

King > Icon but you will also have to factor in the cost of rear coils in addition to what you listed. As others have mentioned, I would consider OW's kit... There are many satisfied members and you won't find a suspension that is better tuned specifically for our trucks.
Unread 01-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #18
sandapanda
Driver

Ken, I was making a very similar decision to yours last couple of weeks. http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12613

My needs are similar to yours, desert, family camping vehicle to remote areas, very little or no rock, slightly larger and a lot heavier tires. I don't plan to get a front bumper, but may get sliders and skids if I see the need.

What I ended up doing was ordering OW/Radflo suspension that Andries specified with custom softer valving for my specific needs. When I get it installed in the next several weeks I will post impressions.

Last edited by sandapanda; 01-07-2010 at 01:50 PM.
sandapanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #19
prjeff46
Buckeye Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJFJFJ View Post
1st, thanks everybody for advices. my 4runner will be all terrain vehicle but more desert speed, like easy trail for family fun, camping, easy rock ok but NOT extreme rock crawler. i'm not the guy with $$ but i have patience and when it goes to modify i like to go w/ the good parts because i know i will not satisfy and end up replace them anyway . here is few pics of my boy .
I also plan to go in the future with ( ARB bumper, shrockworks slider, CBI rear bumper w/ tire carier ) so with all that weight what do you think ?
Attachment 1728
Attachment 1729
Attachment 1730
Kenny.
Desert speed?? Hope you plan on going out west because there isn't too much desert in Lancaster
2004 v8 SE- Duratrac 33's-OW 2.5 front/OME rear-SW front bumper-Budbuilt-Engo 10K w/synthetic line- Lightforce 170's- LR UCA's-Spidertrax- Kurtfab Diff Bracket-4xInnovations sliders-1/2" body lift-JAMFab dual swingout bumper
prjeff46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #20
Teotwaki
Adventurer

Quote:

Overland- $1825

Toytec Lifts- $1180

I have the ICON 2" rear shocks in the picture and they are $200 shocks; capable but still lower tier shocks. They do not compare to 2.5" shocks at all, especially those with remote reservoirs.
HQ sliders, OW Suspension, LT265/75/R16C Duratracs, rear diff. breather, ScanGauge II, Garmin 276C, Engel 45 fridge, All-Pro LCAs, TC A-Arm Skids, dual batteries, Downey skid plate, Cyclone pre-filter, ARB Compressor & Rear Locker!! Offroad Trailer
Photos http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1237
Teotwaki is offline   Reply With Quote