Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Meet, Trail Runs, Expeditions and Land Use > Meeting, Trail run and Expedition reporting

Unread 05-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #21
t4r4life
Driver

at first there were a lot of rescuing going on = andries running up and down the mountain trying to save people's arse lol after that it was just straight up fun
Unread 05-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #22
shuly
Senior Driver

Last edited by shuly; 05-17-2012 at 10:17 PM.
shuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #23
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuly View Post
You guys have balls of steel!!!!!
Titanium!!! It got gnarly:

titanium |tīˈtānēəm|
noun
the chemical element of atomic number 22, a hard silver-gray metal of the transition series, used in strong, light, corrosion-resistant alloys.

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #24
shuly
Senior Driver

Last edited by shuly; 05-17-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Unread 05-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #25
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
I'm a Chem Eng...

if you want to get technical....choose Alloy 1090 (it is a steel alloy)... not as light as titanium but stronger
Did not want to get that technical just wanted to describe the extreme, but appreciate the feed back... I could of searched

Unread 05-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #26
shuly
Senior Driver

Last edited by shuly; 05-17-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Unread 05-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #27
t4r4life
Driver

Quote:
Sorry geeked out for a minute there

That pic of Andries truck is SCARY!!! I want to see the rest of the trail pics
you mean masa's truck right? andries just got muddy
Unread 05-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #28
t4r4life
Driver

x2 on more pics
Unread 05-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #29
shuly
Senior Driver

Last edited by shuly; 05-17-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Unread 05-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #30
medic83
Solid Axle Beast

Quote:
I meant this pic....thought it was Andries truck...sorry if I mixed 'em up

My viar compressor set a bead on my buddys truck at Pismo last year.... its just a pain in the a$$. Sucks for Masa. Get some real beadlocks!! Lol.

Ive hit Frank Raines 3 or 4 times. Im not a big fan of mud and I got my share of the hill climbs and coming down the ones at FR is pretty shady.... that loose dirt will get you sliding if you are breaking. With a crawler, it will help you, but Im cool off that.

We spent 3 hours recovering this dude that was literally about to have an MI. He got stuck on one of the hardest trails there and it was so steep, we could barely walk it. Then the guy trying to recover him broke an axle and we all had to run as th guys cable began to fray and then snapped. Sherriff was there in his lifted jeep rubicon. It was the craziest recovery weve done. Everyone made it out ok, but I think the older guy sold his jeep. He had no clue what he was doing
Unread 05-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #31
t4r4life
Driver

props to masa tho i cant never do what he did if i was in 2wd like he was.
Unread 05-03-2011, 12:51 AM   #32
bulldog
Admin

I still need to look at the pix and get them sorted, but a quick write up.

We met and got a bit of a late start for long drive (time wise). The drive to FR was very scenic and well worth the extra time spend, especially through the green hills and views of the Bay Area.

At FR we met up with t4r4life and aired down. Quickly thereafter we had to clear up a trail to get through, by cutting some nasty branches. We then reached a very dodgy drop off suspiciously close to the mud pits, and turned around passing by the mud pits again. So we had to yield to temptation to drive through the little mud Both Pedram and I had a nice nice working our way out of the mud. I eventually made it through the small puddle, was too busy to see if Pedram worked his way back or through. I think the pictures (more to come) catch the outcome.

Vinh came to the rescue with his new water system, which worked wonders to clear mud. Mike decided to hit the side of the puddle and made it through fine, but with the mentioned branch piece poking into his tire. Jon jumped out and patched it in no time with 5 people telling him what to do

So off we went to hit Spider Trail to find a tree I remembered on top of the hills. Jon's pictures show this cool "Tree Gateway", which also required us to hold the low branch for Vinh's beast and a few others. Masa was the tail gunner, and made great progress till he saw the awesome gateway (or maybe my sexy legs ). At any rate this lead to 2 different long winch pulls by Masa to get the digging 2WD up the hill. Spotting and advise was challenging at times

Eventually we made it up and found another dead end, and Pedram was actually able to find the tree I was thinking about. Lunch was great and very casual, enjoying the great view & company. Vinh was demonstrating his RTT to our amusement or was it more verbal abuse??

At any rate the drop off looked a bit dodgy for our large group and we had to back track down Spider Trail. This is where Masa lost the easier line and got in a tangle with a rut. Needless to say his tire bead 0 rut 1

Continued.........

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 01:18 AM   #33
bulldog
Admin

More than just a bead was the fact that the hill was plenty steep and Masa was toting towards the edge and teasing a rollover. Pedram raced back up the hill at great risk to use his truck and winch as an anchor point. A few other of us ran up the hill for our daily cardio.

Needless to say try to winch Masa up the hill just led to Pedram slipping downhill, well it was worth the try. Pedram then served as anchor with his winch for Masa's rear, Jon served as front anchor for Masa to winch himself out of the rut while Pedram slowly released tension on his side. Very interesting.

At one point Pedram started to run out of cable and his cable simply slipped on the drum. This could have been very bad. After some work we got it hooked back up again. Masa's winch clutch also had some issues engaging (maybe it was just me). Let's just say it was good exercise running between all the trucks

Eventually we got Masa back on the middle trail and a bit safer ground. Jon and Pedram got unhooked and I was walking back up to Pedram with his winchline to tighten it back up. Then an unwise choice to ask Pedram to come closer to me vs just walking back up with the line. AS Pedram' truck decided it wanted to be at the bottom of the hill. Initially I tried to avoid the winchline from going under his truck, but the speed of the truck quickly exceeded mine. So it was basically drop the line and get the hell out of the way, worried if my leg will get caught on the line and drag me under his truck. (Seems to be a common theme with trucks trying to run me over or kick huge boulders downhill at me )

After missing me Pedram's truck was hungry for blood (or metal) and went for Masa's truck. Needless to say Masa had to rush downhill with his blown tire. Close but no cigar in the end.

Then a quick exercise to pop the bead back with CO2 (ok sort of quick). Eric first was looking at setting Masa's truck on fire , but we decided to give CO2 a shot first. With the 3 of us pushing the tire and CO2 it popped back.

We then headed back to the entrance bathrooms after playing around a little more. Vinh took care of some urgent business

Mike and his bud had to head back, and we suspended Masa's offroad license for the rest of the day

We then took on a number of black diamonds, which more mostly very interesting climbs and drops. I think Jon already listed them all, so very few are left. Must say most of them were pretty badly rutted and in much worse shape than I saw some of them back in 2006. However lots of fun. We even made it up Matt's trail to the lunch tree that looked bad at lunch. But then again going up makes it easier to see and back out.

We finally got back to air up and head out. Deciding to take the easier drive back to the 5 and then heading up to 580 home. However our adventure was not over yet with cows blocking the road on a few places Then came up to a little chihuahua on the road, the car in front of us stopped for it, and then as soon as they drive off the little chihuahua chased the car at least 1/4 mile down the road. The owner and his other dog chasing down the little dog A perfect ending to a very exiting day, which was originally planned as a quite relaxed scenic drive

A lot of lessons learned, especially for me.

At any rate will post my pictures later this week.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 05-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #34
UnionJack
Old Timer

Default Odd shots

Could not find many good scenic shots, best I could come up with:

And looking back down to the entrance:

Unread 05-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #35
mikey
Tip Toe over the rock...

Short and Simple...

Unread 05-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #36
bulldog
Admin

Great pix Jon and sweet vid Mike

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 05-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #37
MysticZ
4wd Twin Stick Newbie

Awesome video montage..

Waiting to see Pedrams video..

RST www.rocksolidtoys.com IFS 4WD Conversion Done..
MysticZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #38
t4r4life
Driver

too bad mike didnt stick with us after the restroom break so much carnage went on !!!! it woulda made a awesome video, mike next time you are coming with us
Unread 05-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #39
Sprung17
Senior Driver

Awesomeness video.
Facebook: VC Cao

Build thread : http://tundrageeks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4048
Sprung17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #40
mikey
Tip Toe over the rock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4r4life View Post
too bad mike didnt stick with us after the restroom break so much carnage went on !!!! it woulda made a awesome video, mike next time you are coming with us
Yeah most definitely. I wont make dinner plans with the rents the same day.