Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Gallery > Gallery

Unread 12-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Default Zombie Truck 2.0 MPAV Build!

I am surprised I didn't make a thread for my build project on this forum yet, I made one on the T4R.org website, must have slipped my mind. Anyways, here's a quick composite of my updates on the T4R.org main thread; http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...pav-build.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its about time I make a thread to chronicle the most likely slow, but eventual build up of my recently acquired '04 4Runner! So a little backstory on the title of the thread and subsequently the nickname of the truck.

My previous vehicle was a 1993 Chevrolet S10 Blazer 4WD, long story short I ended up putting a self-made metal bumper and some other stuff. My good friends nick named it the "Zombie Truck" in case of a Zombie Apocalypse the vehicle could be used as a flotation device I guess?

Zombie Truck 1.0:

BUT! I finally saved up enough of my paltry income to purchase a 2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition V8 4WD! I plan on taking this thing mostly trail blazing and such, here's a picture of Zombie Truck 2.0 AKA MPAV:

First things first, I dropped a RS3200+ in it and a full set of WeatherTech mats. Next on the list is going to be the ShrockWorks Bumper. After that I haven't figured out which thing to go next. LoL One thing at a time eh?

And what the hell... Here's the other drain on my car building budget since it will become my excuse for dragging my feet:

1984 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE with a '86 13B Rotary Engine NA

Not that anyone really cares, but if you are also interested in watching the build up of the RX7:
Rising from the Ashes... (Pics be warned!) - RX7Club.com

Stay Tuned!

PS- Internet Cookie if you guess what MPAV stands for.

Last edited by BlackWorksInc; 12-03-2011 at 06:41 PM.
BlackWorksInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

And here's a little somethin' something for those of you watching this thread.

Check it out! Adds 15HP!!!

Cost me about $20-ish from the Dealership, you can probably get it cheaper online if you want. Its just the emblem on the back of the 2000-2005 Tundra's with the 4.7L.

If you're interested the part number is:

PN 75443-34010

Last edited by BlackWorksInc; 12-03-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Unread 12-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

So the ShrockWorks bumper came in this afternoon while I was at work. My parts guy was like, "Hey Paul I got this bumper on my forklift I just got off the truck, you know what this is all about?" I was like a kid on christmas!

So I spent an hour or so after work installing the bumper, well most of it. I ended up being late for a CTI Course I had today, almost forgot about it with how excited I was!

Anyways, Some pictures and some notes on what I did to install it.

So here's the rough looking crate with the wonderful present inside:

So first things first, I threw mine on the lift and pulled the tires off to get at the bolts easier, but in reality you just need to turn the wheels. Look in the fender well, and under the bumper and you will see about a dozen or so 10mm hex screws with phillips heads. After you get all those pulled out you'll need to discconnect the fog and signal lights, and while you're under there look up from under the vehicle straight up, at the bottom edge of trim between the headlights. You need to take a pair of needle nose and squeeze all the small square clips and push them up, this will help disconnect the bumper skin from the trim so you can reach under the trim to pop the three plastic clips under that trim. They'll be at the end of the three metal supports that stick out, not that hard to miss. After all that is done, just pull the skin off and it should come off without any issues.

Should look something like this:

There are plastic brackets held on with 10mm bolts on the corner of the fenders, they are designed to hold the plastic skin on the bumper to the body, unbolt them and toss them, they will get in the way of the bumper. Now you'll need to take a 14mm socket and remove the 4 nuts that secure the crossbar for the bumper. After you pull off the cross bar you can now get easy access to the 4 bolts that hold each bumper support. After you do that you'll take the two brackets that are provided with the bumper and install them in place of the original supports, there are additional bolts provided that bolt the side of the bracket to existing threaded holes as well.

I removed the attached skid plate because it made installation easier for me as I didn't feel like dropping the gravel shield at the moment. I would reccomend you install them loosely before you put the bumper on. Then get the bumper lined up (may need another person) and line up the bumper with the brackets. The bottom edge of the bumper should rest on the little ledge cut-out on the brackets, slip some bolts through the holes to hold the bumper in place and secure them. Now tighten up all the 14mm nuts and set the main bumper to the spacing you want and snug up the 19mm nuts & bolts.

Once its all tightened up the bumper should be solid as a rock and look something like this:

(I realize that the picture is somewhat blurry, it was already dark and I was in a rush to get to the class. I'll post a better picture when I am completely done with it.)
Now as I said before, I didn't get it all the way installed, I had completely forgotten about a class I had and ended up being late so I stopped after I got the main body of the bumper installed.

I'm going to try and finish installing the lights, additional plates, and skid plate all tomorrow after work so keep an eye out for further details!

Post Note-

I decided to wait on the 700lbs springs to come in for my OverLand Warehouse 2.5" Suspension Lift Kit + UCAs, so I wll be getting them closer to the end of the month.

Last edited by BlackWorksInc; 12-03-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Unread 12-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

So I got the lift kit installed today. I have to admit it looks nice!

I'm not going to do a whole walk through on installing it because the guys at OLW did a great job with their instructions. BUT, this was my first time dealing with the XREAS System so I will detail how I removed that.

First off, the XREAS is a HIGH-PRESSURE system. You do no want to crack lines willy nilly, otherwise you'll get a huge pray of stuff and possibly injure yourself.
There are junction points where you can safely disconnect the components, they look like this:

There are two of them per paired shocks, one junction point is located at the center dampner located on the frame rail, the secon is located on the frame near rear wheel well. The reason Toyota wants you to disconnect the system at these points is because they have check valves in them:

I ended up just disconnecting them at the union bolts, since it was easier to get to. NOTE- Put a dense rag over the union bolt when you loosen them, there will be a large pressurized spray of fluid. The two union bolts I chose were these:

The only things did differently from OLW's instructions was that I did not remove the tie rods. I found that if you remove the UCA (which I was anyways since I was installing the Light Racing UCAs) and disconnect the sway bar links and sway bar mount (again you're going to have to anyways), I was able to just pry the lower control arm enough to get the struts in and out with out any issues. One more thing to note, if you're really lazy like me (I mean like Flat Rating stuff... Cough cough) then just take the battery hold-down off, lift the battery and slide the plastic tray out, then remove the bracket that holds down the hose near the battery to get the UCA bolt to slide out. I just didn't feel like reprogramming my radio and all the windows and crap that goes with disconnecting the battery

On the rear suspension I undid the panhard bar at the axle to get more movement out of the axle to slip the springs in.

Here's the finished product installed on the vehicle:
Unread 12-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

285/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers Vs. Stock 265/65R17 Dunlop AT20 Grandtreks:

Pre-Tire Upgrade:

Now Rockin' 33's:

Quote:Originally Posted by Dawg4Runner
Looks great Paul! What a transformation from the last Hollister trip. Are you running wheel spacers? Any rubbing issues at full stuff or turning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doozi
NICE! The tires made a huge difference! OW is at the top of my list... how's the ride?

Thanks, it really has changed a lot from just a few weeks ago! I am excited to take the rig up to the mountains this Winter. As for rubbing issues; the only rubbing I am having right now is at about 3/4 turn of the wheels, the outter edge of the Nitto's nips at the inside edge of the front mudflaps. I'll get around to trimming it but otherwise I am not getting any rubbing. I think the way the LR UCA sit straighter and slightly in from the stock control arms allows me to have about 2-3cm of clearance between tire sidewall and UCA balljoint end.

I have a feeling that I will see some rubbing issues next time I flex the 4Runner on the trail; the tires barely fit the wheel wells so I expect some slight rubbing under compression, but we'll see next trail run we do!

As for the ride? Honestly... so far in terms of street driving, it feels similar to the XREAS on the road and the Terra Grapplers are not that much noiser than my Dunlops were at highway speeds; though there is a small but noticible change in the pitch of the tire noise.

Anyone know where to get a stock front gravel shield for cheap? I do not feel like dishing $250+ on a new one and I can't afford BuddBuilts yet (I wanna buy them as a set, and honestly sliders are next on the list)

Another thing that has already been pointed out to me is that the front sits lower than the rear, I will play with it this weekend and adjust the coilovers as I didn't do much more than level it out on the driver's side. But I still want a slight rake for two reasons;
-I think the 4Runner looks great with that slight nose down look as it matches the fender lines well.
-when I load heavier stuff in the back, the rear will sag and I don't want a "Cali Lean"
Unread 12-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

And I think that should cover it for now, I will try to update this thread as much as I do the T4R.org one, but I tend to float around there more than I usually do here.

Next on the list when I can scrounge some cash together is going to be:
Windshield,Sliders, BuddBuilt Skid Plates, ect.

I am looking at buying some CBI Sliders since they have a sale going on, I just haven't decided if I wanna dish the money out now or wait till next year.

Also, I have a question to throw at you guys, when you did your 3" lifts did you disconnect the rear swaybar? I hooked mine back up as I wanted some stability, but the bar looks fairly stretched out.
Unread 12-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWorksInc View Post
And I think that should cover it for now, I will try to update this thread as much as I do the T4R.org one, but I tend to float around there more than I usually do here.

Next on the list when I can scrounge some cash together is going to be:
Windshield,Sliders, BuddBuilt Skid Plates, ect.

I am looking at buying some CBI Sliders since they have a sale going on, I just haven't decided if I wanna dish the money out now or wait till next year.

Also, I have a question to throw at you guys, when you did your 3" lifts did you disconnect the rear swaybar? I hooked mine back up as I wanted some stability, but the bar looks fairly stretched out.
If you spent more time here than there you would know the answer to the rear sway bar problem j/k, there are extended links availbale from a couple of sources: Medic83 and Wabfab jump to mind.

Looking good Paul, need to revisit HH to test it all out.

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Oh yeah, I can't wait for another Trail Ride to test the new rig out.

Will have to look into extended links, the thought never crossed my mind until I was updating this thread and was like, "oh... I remember those links being rather tough to hook back up."
Unread 12-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #9
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionjack View Post
If you spent more time here than there you would know the answer to the rear sway bar problem j/k, there are extended links availbale from a couple of sources: Medic83 and Wabfab jump to mind.

Looking good Paul, need to revisit HH to test it all out.
Yeah I recommend longer rear swaybar links because I snapped my rear swaybar flexing the truck out!

Very nice build BTW!!!
WillRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
DawgRunner
Senior Driver

Quote:
Paul, I went with WabFab links. But that was the only game in town at the time. It took 3 months to get and the price was pretty steep. Get a hold of Phil (Medic83) for the medlinks. http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11373
Unread 12-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
medic83
Solid Axle Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgRunner View Post
Paul, I went with WabFab links. But that was the only game in town at the time. It took 3 months to get and the price was pretty steep. Get a hold of Phil (Medic83) for the medlinks. http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11373
I actually have some sitting in my garage if you want them. Ur only 15 min from me. We can meet up if u want.
Unread 12-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic83 View Post
I actually have some sitting in my garage if you want them. Ur only 15 min from me. We can meet up if u want.
Oh cool, I may take you up on that offer! Shoot me a PM.
Unread 12-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #13
MCL68
Super Moderator

Paul, the rigs looking good. But I think somethings missing....

MCL68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #14
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCL_68 View Post
Paul, the rigs looking good. But I think somethings missing....

That's not a Zombi Survival Kit!

THIS is a Zombie Survival Kit:

They're supposed to come out the first quarter of '12.
Unread 12-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
MCL68
Super Moderator

Hahaha.....nice, don't forget about a machete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 12-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #16
java230
Old Timer

Mmmm KSG. Yummy.
Unread 12-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #17
MCL68
Super Moderator

I vote for a AA12 or a Saiga12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 12-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #18
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Small update on the project.

I went and ordered some CBI Sliders (that end of the year sale is just too tempting!) hopefully they will be here before the snow trip this January 5th.

I also had the windshield replaced, that dragonfly crack was worrying me. Got a good deal on it, and its amazing! Its so damned clear I sometimes wonder if they put glass there! LoL

Also went to shopping for some Redline gear oil for my Differentials and Transfer Case, unfortunetly they only had 1 bottle of it left. But they had a couple gallon bottles of Amsoil 75W90 Synthetic Gear Oil! Amsoil makes great synthetics so I nabbed 2 gallons and now the 4Runner is running nice clean gear oil!
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #19
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

Quote:
Small update on the project.

I went and ordered some CBI Sliders (that end of the year sale is just too tempting!) hopefully they will be here before the snow trip this January 5th.

I also had the windshield replaced, that dragonfly crack was worrying me. Got a good deal on it, and its amazing! Its so damned clear I sometimes wonder if they put glass there! LoL

Also went to shopping for some Redline gear oil for my Differentials and Transfer Case, unfortunetly they only had 1 bottle of it left. But they had a couple gallon bottles of Amsoil 75W90 Synthetic Gear Oil! Amsoil makes great synthetics so I nabbed 2 gallons and now the 4Runner is running nice clean gear oil!

nice goodies!

look forward to seeing the sliders on

where did you get your windshield done at? i really need a new one
the_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #20
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_josh View Post
nice goodies!

look forward to seeing the sliders on

where did you get your windshield done at? i really need a new one
Just called the company we work with at the dealership. Some guys called Lizard AutoGlass. They only charged me for the windshield and no labor since I work at the dealership and we contract a lot with them. Was something like $150 total and they did it in the parking lot for me while I was working.