Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Maintenance

Unread 12-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Default Which Synthetic Differential Fluid to Use?

So before my trip up to Tahoe this January, I plan on doing the transmission and differential fluids on my '04 4Runner. I have always been partial to Red Line when it comes to synthetics and looking over their website made me confused...

They have some good synthetic replacement fluids and then they have some heavy duty stuff that caught my intrest. I just don't have any experience with some of their special "ShockProof" fluids and their more special stuff...

Any of you guys have any input/ experience?
BlackWorksInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

i have royal purple in my diffs and thats only because when toy connection did my lockers and gears thats what they used but with everything else i always stay with toyota fluids always. there is so much R&D involved in toyota fluids so i stick with the tried and true, i honestly wouldn't put anything else in my tranny besides that, but thats just me.

the shockproof kinda sounds like a Gimmick.
the_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
Synister
Rookie

I went with Mobil 1 in all three.
2009 4runner Trail Edition V6, Daystar 2.5/1.5, Cooper Disco AT3 285/70r17, 4Crawler 1.25 BL w/ radiator drop, ProComp 7098's, Carbon Filter eliminate mod, KurtFab diff bracket, Hayden transmission cooler, Shrockworks Rock Sliders, Dual-Batteries, Kenwood TS-480HX HF radio, Kenwood TM-D710 UHF/VHF radio w/ APRS, Husky floor mats throughout

KJ6QDJ
Synister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
MCL68
Super Moderator

Same here, I use Mobil 1 75W-90 for both diffs and T-case.
MCL68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

x3 for M1 75/90 in all 3 cases.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
Ludedude
Super Moderator

I use Redline exclusively. The 75/90 is fine for the diffs. I'd probably stay away from the Shockproof unless you mix it with some 75/90 to get the viscosity down. We used Shockproof heavy in the race car diffs but that's quite a different scenario than street driving.
Ludedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #7
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludedude View Post
I use Redline exclusively. The 75/90 is fine for the diffs. I'd probably stay away from the Shockproof unless you mix it with some 75/90 to get the viscosity down. We used Shockproof heavy in the race car diffs but that's quite a different scenario than street driving.
Yeah I wasn't sure how well the Shockproof or their heavier duty fluids would match the application. I plan on doing a good amount of off-roading and highway driving, was thinking of the heavier stuff to give some better quality for the gears.

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=8

"Acting like a liquid grease, these unique lubricants contain a suspension of solid microscopic particles as an extreme pressure agent, offering a "best of both worlds" balance of low drag and superior protection for gear teeth"

~Unique lubricant with solid microscopic particles offers low drag/high protection
~Relatively low viscosity, yet cushions gear teeth under extreme pressure
~Helps to prevent tooth breakage, resists throw-off
~Avoid use with pumps, coolers, and filters as unique medium and affinity for metal can cause clogging

If they really do flow like 75W90 with the a film thickness of 75W250, that sounds like a great application for differentials that see a lot of use, particularly the 4WD on my V8.

I'm using the WS Fluid in the Transmission, I would rather go with the Amsoil, but I have a really good extended warranty so I'm not gonna give them an excuse on that end and I can get it relatively cheap since I work at the dealership.

But the Transfer Case, Front & Rear Differentials deserve some quality stuff.
BlackWorksInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 12:26 AM   #8
Ludedude
Super Moderator

Shockproof Heavy doesn't flow anything like a 75/90 regardless of what marketing materials say
Unread 12-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #9
cruiserlarry
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludedude View Post
Shockproof Heavy doesn't flow anything like a 75/90 regardless of what marketing materials say
I respectfully disagree. It certainly doesn't look the same, but we have been using it in performance vehicles used on the street for 10 years, with no issues, and no performance difference.

Shockproof offers no advantage for strictly street use -but it does offer a big advantage off-road, if the wheels leave the ground at speed, and then make sudden contact - you have substantially more cushioning of the gear teeth, reducing the chance of damage to the pinion / ring gears...

Either way, you won't go wrong - Redline 75W-90 is among the finest gear oils available...

cruiserlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 01:04 AM   #10
bulldog
Admin

On the transmission I would stick to the Toyota fluid, as the o4 uses the WS fluid.

In the diffs and transfer case, M1, Redline, Royal Purple & Amsoil all make very good fluids for our type of vehicles. I really doubt any of them will show any true difference on these vehicles over the life time.

I normally use M1 as it is easy to get, and looking at Mike rear diff we pulled after 100k miles it still looked pretty much new (he used M1 for the most part). I have also uses Amsoil Extreme (yada yada).

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 01:25 AM   #11
Ludedude
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserlarry View Post
I respectfully disagree. It certainly doesn't look the same, but we have been using it in performance vehicles used on the street for 10 years, with no issues, and no performance difference.

Shockproof offers no advantage for strictly street use -but it does offer a big advantage off-road, if the wheels leave the ground at speed, and then make sudden contact - you have substantially more cushioning of the gear teeth, reducing the chance of damage to the pinion / ring gears...

Either way, you won't go wrong - Redline 75W-90 is among the finest gear oils available...
What I said was that it doesn't flow like a 75W-90. I too have used it on the street and in race cars for the better part of 20 years but that still doesn't make it right for a mostly street driven truck.

Off road when a drive wheel leaves the ground, ATRAC isn't going to let that spin happen to the extent that you damage a diff anyway but that's besides the point. It's not the right fluid for this application. Ask Redline, they'll tell you the same thing.
Unread 05-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #12
PAULUNM
Driver

After noticing that Mobil 1 gear oil doesn't seem to hold up very well in the rear diff (30k miles and it was very black and smelled terrible), I started using Delvac 1 synthetic gear oil 75w90.

I recently swapped fluid out again, and the Delvac I had run for about 30k miles in the rear diff was very clean looking, and did not have that bad gear oil smell.

Highly recommended.

You can either buy the stuff online, or stop by your local T/A truck stop- the repair shop usually stocks it.
Scion 1809 head unit
PAULUNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #13
aha2988
Driver

what little bit of research i've done on my truck, toyota originaly put a non synthetic 80w/90 diff fluid with an added friction modifier(even with my open center rear diff?). I've been informed toyota has approved switching this over to a synthetic 75w/90 with no friction modifier needed. My understanding though is the two gear oils dont mix well and if you have the 80w/90 you need to flush your diff case's before switching to the synthetic fluid. My father switched out his own diff fluid in his 05 tacoma 4wd and used a multipurpose none toyota, synthetic, and it locked his rear end up took it to toyota they drained the fluid and put theres in an it freed up the rear end for him they were prepared though to switch out the whole axel because his truck has one of those lifetime drivetrain waranty's. I def. agree with the above post use only toyota fluid in the transmission. and i hope for your sake it doesnt have a sealed system (hope it still has the dip stick). As well to my knowledge Most of the new synthetic diff fluids are running up to 90-100,000 miles with minamal break down. ex. on the new ford mustangs they run a fully synthetic fluid in the rear diff garanteed for 100,000. just my .02 cents

Last edited by aha2988; 05-09-2012 at 09:12 AM.
aha2988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
bulldog
Admin

Did the Taco have a limited slip diff in it? AS those will require the right friction modifier to work properly.

Diff oil typical smell bad, and the rear gets black pretty quick. The only way to see how it holds up is to have it analyzed. Black and smell is not a good indicator on how well the fluid is doing.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
aha2988
Driver

yeah the taco has the LS which is why it caused the lock up. i was just throwing my experiences with using none toyota approved fluids in the drive cases
Unread 05-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #16
michaelreed
Driver

Do we have limited slip diffs in the 4runners?
michaelreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #17
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelreed View Post
IIRC, specifically the 4Runner, two wheel drive has a limited slip diff the 4X4 does not.

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2016, 06:11 AM   #18
tobenisstinky
Rookie

Default The diff should have a label see attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelreed View Post
Your diff should be labeled if it requires LSD additive.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DL003-07.pdf (32.4 KB, 5 views)
tobenisstinky is offline   Reply With Quote