Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Maintenance

Unread 11-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #21
t-rex grrr
Is that a scratch!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
It sounds like Jim is on the money with trying a bit of grease on the steerign stops.

Look on the inside of your front wheels and you will see a U shaped piece of metal on the front of the spindle, that actually can push against the lower a-arm (you will see additional metal stop on it). Dab some grease on both and see what happens.
would anyone happen to have a picture of the piece that needs to be greased? =)
t-rex grrr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 08:32 PM   #22
Cedarbarn
Rookie

I have experienced the exact same sound. It only happens when the 4Runner has been parked and I am reversing slowly out of the parking space with the wheels turned at full lock, with foot on the brake to control the automatic transmission from moving the vehicle too quickly in reverse.
Cedarbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #23
Teotwaki
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedarbarn View Post
I have experienced the exact same sound. It only happens when the 4Runner has been parked and I am reversing slowly out of the parking space with the wheels turned at full lock, with foot on the brake to control the automatic transmission from moving the vehicle too quickly in reverse.
Definitely grease the steering stops! When they are rusty and dry the metal on metal contact is sort of like a geological strike-slip zone. There is enough binding to hold in place until it is overcome and releases with a "clunk" sound.
HQ sliders, OW Suspension, LT265/75/R16C Duratracs, rear diff. breather, ScanGauge II, Garmin 276C, Engel 45 fridge, All-Pro LCAs, TC A-Arm Skids, dual batteries, Downey skid plate, Cyclone pre-filter, ARB Compressor & Rear Locker!! Offroad Trailer
Photos http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1237
Teotwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 02:14 PM   #24
Photog
Old Timer

Any solutions yet?
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #25
t-rex grrr
Is that a scratch!?

going to grease the steering bumps this weekend, so hopefully that'll solve the problem
Unread 01-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #26
sibanez
Driver

Any updates? I'm going crazy here, have lubed everything possible and it still comes and goes.
Photos + Videos
sibanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 08:00 PM   #27
Cedarbarn
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibanez View Post
Any updates? I'm going crazy here, have lubed everything possible and it still comes and goes.
Same here.
Unread 01-07-2008, 12:16 AM   #28
t-rex grrr
Is that a scratch!?

after i put on my new tires, wheels, and alignment, it only happened to me once, and it's been almost two months now. i haven't found the true cause, but im not too concerned about it at this point.
Unread 01-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #29
Zmtking
Rookie

I don't know if this is the same symptom as what started this thread, but I get a clicking or chattering sound when I'm at full turn with slight break pressure. Sounds like it could be coming from the breaks, wheel rub, or other I don't really know. It only happens when I make a full turn of the wheel (left turn when leaving the curb to go the other way) with my foot on the break to keep my speed down while doing the turn.

Any thoughts?
Zmtking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #30
Cedarbarn
Rookie

When the noise started, it was in the exact condition that you describe.

Now it is not related to forward or reverse motion, nor steering at all. But related to very low speed braking, or the release of braking to allow motion (I have an Auto V8). I suspect it is a suspension noise. I did not notice it until I installed the OME suspension. I suspect, but am no expert, that it is a rubber bushing somewhere compressing and releasing to cause the creaking noise.
Unread 12-04-2008, 11:51 PM   #31
SidVicious
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rex grrr View Post
hi guys,

it seems that whenever i make a fully locked right turn at a low parking lot speed, i hear this sound as if something is snapping into, or out of place. It sounds like a cluck that seems to be coming from underneath the from driver side. It also happens every now and when when i'm reversing with a full wheel lock with the steering wheel turned to the left.

has anyone ever experienced this before?

thanks,

aj

I am experiencing the same noise. A single clunk when moving at full lock. I have DR C/O's, stock UCA's, and upsized tires by 1".

I have a theory (which I'm not sure is entirely possible, but I'm hoping the experts will chime in... be gentle.) Is it possible the noise is coming from the UCA/ball joint? When at full lock, with a suspension lift and stock UCA's, the wheel/tire sits at a strange angle which could be putting stress on the uni ball causing some binding as well as the clunk. Possible? If so, I ask another question. Has anyone who has upgraded their front suspension including the UCA's experienced this noise?
Suspension: DR C/O ~ DR Shocks ~ IVD Coils ~ Medic Links Wheels/Tires: 1.25" Spidertrax Spacers ~ Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 275/65/18 More: DO Front Bumper ~ Shrockworks Sliders ~ Slee Brake Lines ~ Nav in Motion ~ National Luna Dual Battery Kit ~ DieHard Platinum PM-1/PM-2 ~ Blue Sea Fuse Block - ARB Fridge
SidVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #32
Photog
Old Timer

I am running the OME struts, and I know the DR's and SAW's are a little longer; but none of them are long enough to push the upper ball joint to its limits, even at full droop. I suspect the ball joint is not the clunking culprit. It is possible that the King struts are long enough; but I have never seen the specs on those.

There are a lot of moving parts in these front suspensions. Tie rods, tie rod ends, steering rack internals, steering rack bushings, sway bars, sway bar connections, springs, strut mounts, upper & lower control arm mounts and ball joints. The lower ball joint is bolted to the hub.

Has anyone tried tracking down the problem directly?

Remove the skid plate.

Have someone else turn the steering from lock to lock, while you are underneath, checking for noises, clearances, etc. (use radios to communicate, to prevent injury). Do this with the tires on ground, and with the front end lifted up on jack stands.

Try this with and without the sway bar.

Greasing everything will prevent squeeks; but is not likely to prevent clunks.
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Last edited by Photog; 12-05-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Unread 12-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #33
Photog
Old Timer

As a secondary point that may or may not be related to these steering noises:

If you have ever driven a vehicle without power steering, you know how difficult it is to turn the steering wheel, when the vehicle is not moving. If the vehicle is allowed to roll forward/backward a little, the steering is much less difficult.

Power steering makes it much easier to turn the steering wheel, when not moving. But; it does not reduce the strain on steering components. If you regularly turn your steering wheel, while not moving, you will wear out your steering components at a much higher rate.

Conciously drive, as if you were using manual steering, and all those little parts (rack bushings, rack gears, tie rod ends, power steering pump,.....) will last the life of the vehicle (with no clunks).

I try to save all of that type of wear and tear for the trail, where I may not have the option to be rolling, while steering.

Unread 12-05-2008, 03:24 PM   #34
SidVicious
Driver

Hey Brian... Thanks for the reply.

I have yet to make any attempt at pinpointing the exact location of the clunk. Up until now, I've always been in the driver's seat when hearing the noise. Maybe this weekend, I'll try to get someone to drive while I look/listen for the culprit.
Suspension: DR C/O ~ DR Shocks ~ IVD Coils ~ Medic Links Wheels/Tires: 1.25" Spidertrax Spacers ~ Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 275/65/18 More: DO Front Bumper ~ Shrockworks Sliders ~ Slee Brake Lines ~ Nav in Motion ~ National Luna Dual Battery Kit ~ DieHard Platinum PM-1/PM-2 ~ Blue Sea Fuse Block - ARB Fridge
Unread 12-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #35
t-rex grrr
Is that a scratch!?

when i'm turning into a driveway with a decent dip, my steering near locked, and with a little bit of speed, it'll clunk. the sound that i'm hearing might be the sway bar hitting something?
Unread 12-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #36
Photog
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rex grrr View Post
when i'm turning into a driveway with a decent dip, my steering near locked, and with a little bit of speed, it'll clunk. the sound that i'm hearing might be the sway bar hitting something?
That is a possibility. Some of the lift kits come with a pair of blocks that move the swaybar, down and forward.

If you can make the suspension clunk on command like that, you might try removing the swaybar, and see if you can still make it clunk. This would also give you a chance to see where the swaybar might be contacting some other suspension component (or maybe it is something else that you will find, once you are more intimate with the font suspension).

Unread 12-06-2008, 01:53 AM   #37
SidVicious
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
That is a possibility. Some of the lift kits come with a pair of blocks that move the swaybar, down and forward.

If you can make the suspension clunk on command like that, you might try removing the swaybar, and see if you can still make it clunk. This would also give you a chance to see where the swaybar might be contacting some other suspension component (or maybe it is something else that you will find, once you are more intimate with the font suspension).
I do have the sway bar relocation blocks installed and still have the clunk. I'm going to try and isolate the noise this weekend. If that means removing the sway bar, I'll give it a try.
Unread 09-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #38
nightshade000
Rookie

I have a similar sounding clunk, but stock suspension (105k miles) -- could it be same as described here? Everyone in the thread seems to have a lift -- I do not.
nightshade000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #39
Photog
Old Timer

With a stock suspension and 105k miles, you may have worn bushings in the struts. Tighten all the nuts/bolts (5 of them on each side). If any are loose, it may indicate which bushing is worn. It may solve the clunking problem too.

There are a pair of bushings at the top of the strut (shock), and a bushing in the lower part of the shock. Then there is a cushion between the spring and the upper spring bucket.

Refer to the Tech Write-ups, to see how these parts go together.

Last edited by Photog; 09-11-2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Unread 09-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #40
haseeb007
Rookie

I have a similar problem. The shriek continues as long as I hold it at full turn (left or right). Anybody have pictures of the steering stops that I can dab a little grease on?