Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Maintenance

Unread 09-24-2009, 09:20 AM   #41
Photog
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseeb007 View Post
I have a similar problem. The shriek continues as long as I hold it at full turn (left or right). Anybody have pictures of the steering stops that I can dab a little grease on?
If it is "shrieking" at full lock, it is more likely you power steering system making hydraulic noises. The only time the steering stops will cause noise, is at full lock, and the suspension cycling up/down. This drags the two parts of the steering stop across each other (like fingernails on a chalk board).

Also, power steering noise can come from a slipping belt. As you turn the wheel, the rack is asking for hydraulic pressure from the pump, causing a bit more drag on the belt. If the belt is worn, needs adjusted, dirty, etc., it can begin to slip and start squeeling.
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #42
UnionJack
Old Timer

Whoops, my bad old post.

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #43
mikey
Tip Toe over the rock...

It's funny that you brought this thread back to life because this clunk that is described in the thread is what I am experiencing. Have to look at some bolts in the AM.
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #44
Trik444
Driver

I've been having the same "clunk" sound. It sounds like something is slipping either into or out of place like you're dislocating your shoulder (sorry but that's the best way I can think to describe it). It only happens after my 4runner has been parked and I am pulling out of a parking spot on a cold engine with the steering wheel turned hard left...

Overland Warehouse 2.5" Coilovers, 275/70/18 Cooper STT's, 18x9 ProComp 7089, Magnaflow exhaust, JDM Headlights.
Trik444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #45
Carl44
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedarbarn View Post
When the noise started, it was in the exact condition that you describe.

Now it is not related to forward or reverse motion, nor steering at all. But related to very low speed braking, or the release of braking to allow motion (I have an Auto V8). I suspect it is a suspension noise. I did not notice it until I installed the OME suspension. I suspect, but am no expert, that it is a rubber bushing somewhere compressing and releasing to cause the creaking noise.
Exact same problem here. I have my second set of LR UCAs on and a short OME lift, which is several years old. My rig has been parked in very high humidity outside all summer (WHICH SUCKS), completely rusting the exhaust system and I thought maybe the environmental factors had something to do with this odd sound.

Mine is like Cedarbarns, with some differences. Seems mostly but not always in reverse while turning but doesn't need to be full lock. Sometimes it's not there at all. Kind of a click like metal to metal tension is releasing, usually in reverse while turning after being parked.

Anyway, after much searching, looking at the bumpstops, etc., it seems the bushings on the lower OME shock eyes (Both L & R) are coming apart. This is all I can find.

I've never done this but I assume replacing these bushings can't be too hard. It might be my issue, I'm not sure.

Last edited by Carl44; 09-23-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Carl44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #46
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trik444 View Post
I've been having the same "clunk" sound. It sounds like something is slipping either into or out of place like you're dislocating your shoulder (sorry but that's the best way I can think to describe it). It only happens after my 4runner has been parked and I am pulling out of a parking spot on a cold engine with the steering wheel turned hard left...
Mine does this also!
WillRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #47
Carl44
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillRunner05 View Post
Mine does this also!
It definitely seems to happen on hard lefts for me, too - in reverse.
Unread 09-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #48
Carl44
Driver

I looked under the front end while my girlfriend reversed/turned the car and sure enough heard that damn "Pop!" mettalic sound but could not pinpoint it.

Any opinions on this maybe being lower-front shock bushings failing?
Unread 09-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #49
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl44 View Post
I looked under the front end while my girlfriend reversed/turned the car and sure enough heard that damn "Pop!" mettalic sound but could not pinpoint it.

Any opinions on this maybe being lower-front shock bushings failing?
One thing I have noticed on the passenger side is that if I go from reverse to forward and then apply the brake I get a "bell" like ring. Upon inspection I think one of the pins for the caliper spring is shifting and causing the dust shield to "ring" out.

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #50
Carl44
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack View Post
One thing I have noticed on the passenger side is that if I go from reverse to forward and then apply the brake I get a "bell" like ring. Upon inspection I think one of the pins for the caliper spring is shifting and causing the dust shield to "ring" out.
Interesting, I'll have to take a look at this. Thanks.
Unread 09-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #51
WillRunner05
Old Timer

This is weird, I don't have any issues in reverse at full lock, only that initial left turn at about 20-30 mph. I get a small pop like something is slipping either into or out of place like you're dislocating your shoulder as Trik444 mentioned earlier...
WillRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #52
Carl44
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillRunner05 View Post
This is weird, I don't have any issues in reverse at full lock, only that initial left turn at about 20-30 mph. I get a small pop like something is slipping either into or out of place like you're dislocating your shoulder as Trik444 mentioned earlier...

I've really got to track this down before the winter!
Unread 09-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #53
Carl44
Driver

Checked and re-checked the different ideas. Still can't figure this one out.

The "pop" on reverse is now happening mostly while wheel is turned semi-hard Left and definitely getting LOUDER.

Unread 09-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #54
Carl44
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
I am experiencing the same noise. A single clunk when moving at full lock. I have DR C/O's, stock UCA's, and upsized tires by 1".

I have a theory (which I'm not sure is entirely possible, but I'm hoping the experts will chime in... be gentle.) Is it possible the noise is coming from the UCA/ball joint? When at full lock, with a suspension lift and stock UCA's, the wheel/tire sits at a strange angle which could be putting stress on the uni ball causing some binding as well as the clunk. Possible? If so, I ask another question. Has anyone who has upgraded their front suspension including the UCA's experienced this noise?
YES, this is my situation.
Unread 10-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #55
Carl44
Driver

UPDATE: have isolated this to definitely the front drivers side disk brakes.

It looks like there may be a gap between the piston face(s) and the pads and what I'm hearing is the piston face slapping into the back of the pad under the right conditions. Bad clips? Springs? Haven't cured it yet.
Unread 10-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #56
t-rex grrr
Is that a scratch!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl44 View Post
UPDATE: have isolated this to definitely the front drivers side disk brakes.

It looks like there may be a gap between the piston face(s) and the pads and what I'm hearing is the piston face slapping into the back of the pad under the right conditions. Bad clips? Springs? Haven't cured it yet.
Nice! Looking forward to hearing what your solution is.
t-rex grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #57
4runner4me
Rookie

Carl44, My truck is doing exactly what yours is doing. Please keep us all updated on this one....I'll take a close look at the front brakes when I can soon.
4runner4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #58
Carl44
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runner4me View Post
Carl44, My truck is doing exactly what yours is doing. Please keep us all updated on this one....I'll take a close look at the front brakes when I can soon.
I'm waiting on a break in the weather to get the wheels off, etc. Should get to it in the next few days.

People over at the FJ Cruiser forum have this exact issue with their FJ's. SOme people think it is the PARKING BRAKE out of adjustment, interestingly enough.

I am also interested in anyone's ideas, etc. Much appreciated.
Unread 10-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #59
Photog
Old Timer

I am getting the same noise; but only when the steering is all the way to the stops. Then the suspension needs to move (e.g. coming out of driveway onto street).

Since the steering is against the stops (metal to metal), I think this is the most likely culprit. I will try to get a picture of what I am trying to describe.
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #60
Carl44
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
I am getting the same noise; but only when the steering is all the way to the stops. Then the suspension needs to move (e.g. coming out of driveway onto street).

Since the steering is against the stops (metal to metal), I think this is the most likely culprit. I will try to get a picture of what I am trying to describe.
Unfortunately, my steering definitely does not have to be at the stops. It seems like what is required is:

1) Moving in reverse from a stop
2) Touching the brake
3) Wheel anything but straight but not necessarily to the stops at all

God help me.