Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > GX470

Unread 12-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
RCsGX
Rookie

Default Icon coilovers

My goal was to keep the factory plush ride but also lift the GX. Most will tell you that's hard to do but not with the CDC option that Icon offers. You can order their coilovers w/ their CDC valve, which is a remote reservoir that holds fluid and has adjustable sport / comfort setting knob just like our factory shocks have, only there's 10 settings on the Icons not 4 like our stock shocks have. The knob ranges from S (softest setting), 2, 3, 4 (stock Icon coilover settings w/o the CDC valve), 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, H (firmest setting):

The ride, all I can say is WOW, the Icons soak up bumps like they're not even there. I rode around town and on the beltway and they performed great at lower and at higher speeds. Being 2 1/2" higher it feels weird not seeing the hood slope down from the drivers seat anymore. I pulled over numerous times to change the CDC setting and here's my opinion;

S is the softest setting. It's VERY plush and literally feels like you're riding on air. I've never rode on new GX shocks but I can bet they're not as plush as this! You can't feel any bumps they just soak them right up yet you don't get that squishy / squirmy / floaty feeling what so ever. I then tried H and it was way too firm and really unpleasant. I didn't even drive 1/2 mile before I switched it to a lower setting. I'd personally never use the H setting. I then tried 6 and while it was much better than H it was still a little too firm. I took it down to 4, which if you order standard Icon coilovers without the CDC valve that's what they feel like. It was nice and firm, not too firm though and was very drivable but I want the Lexus plush ride, so I tried 2 and perfection!! It soaks up bumps just like S but it's not as soft but still VERY plush, it's like the road is made of marshmallows. The compression is nice and soft and the rebound is quick so there's no floating feeling at all.

I need to test them offroad but onroad I couldn't be happier so offorad should be even better. They exceeded my expectations! I'd recommend these to any GX owner. Even If you don't want to lift your GX you can still use coilovers and adjust them lower to the factory ride height. If you don't mind a little firm ride of a ride I'd get the standard Icon coilovers but if you want that Lexus / Cadillac plush ride the CDC option is a no brainer. If you don't want to pay the upcharge of the CDC valve you can always have Icon valve the standard coilovers to be softer but I like the fact that I can change them within seconds if want a firmer ride.

To lift the rear I added 8mm washers to the bolts on the ride height sensor brackets. Before I installed the coilovers I added 4 washers (2 on each bracket bolt) and it lifted the rear 1/2". I need to swing by Ace and pick up some more washers. In total I need to lift the rear another 1" to be level with the front now.

Here are my before and after measurements. Without adjusting the coilovers I got approximately 2 1/2" of lift up front.

BEFORE

Front Drivers Side
- center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare: 19 3/16"
- ground to the bottom of the fender flare: 34 1/4"

Front Passengers Side
- center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare: 19 1/4"
- ground to the bottom of the fender flare: 34 5/16"

AFTER
Front Drivers Side
- center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare: 22"
- ground to the bottom of the fender flare: 36 11/16"

Front Passengers Side
- center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare: 22"
- ground to the bottom of the fender flare: 36 7/8"

BEFORE

AFTER

WASHERS ADDED TO THE RIDE HEIGHT SENSOR BRACKETS

Front Icon Coilovers w/ CDC Valve & IVD Coating - Rear Bilstein 5100s ❚ 18" BFD Wheels - 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers ❚ HID Retro *SC430 Projectors* - Interior & Exterior LEDs ❚ VaisTech - Coastal Lockpick ❚ Sport Taillights - Chrome Stealth Bulbs ❚ 5% Llumar CTX Tint All Around

Last edited by RCsGX; 12-20-2013 at 09:44 PM.
RCsGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
t-rex grrr
Is that a scratch!?

*Thumbs up!* They're even more amazing when you're hitting bumps at higher speeds.

Did you try removing your front sway bar? That usually adds additional softness to the front as well as some extra articulation.
t-rex grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

I've always been impressed with Icon's ride quality. I would not recommend removing the front sway bar for on-road, it's good to have for abrupt emergency maneuvers at speed.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
RCsGX
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rex grrr View Post
*Thumbs up!* They're even more amazing when you're hitting bumps at higher speeds.

Did you try removing your front sway bar? That usually adds additional softness to the front as well as some extra articulation.
I haven't. I'm scurrrrred to remove it for onroad driving plus I don't want it any softer, it's perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
I've always been impressed with Icon's ride quality. I would not recommend removing the front sway bar for on-road, it's good to have for abrupt emergency maneuvers at speed.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
I'm definitely impressed so far. Yeah I read it's not a good idea to remove it for onroad driving.

I ended up getting a few 1/2" spacers and now the rear is 37" high, slightly higher than the front, so that's it for me. Time to enjoy it now!

Front Icon Coilovers w/ CDC Valve & IVD Coating - Rear Bilstein 5100s ❚ 18" BFD Wheels - 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers ❚ HID Retro *SC430 Projectors* - Interior & Exterior LEDs ❚ VaisTech - Coastal Lockpick ❚ Sport Taillights - Chrome Stealth Bulbs ❚ 5% Llumar CTX Tint All Around
Unread 12-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Jessepower
Rookie

The truck looks great. How would you say the standard icon (setting 4) feels compared to stock set all the way over to sport mode? Mine is always set to sport so I'm not too concerned with losing the adjustability but I'd like to keep that smooth lexus ride.
Jessepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
RCsGX
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessepower View Post
The truck looks great. How would you say the standard icon (setting 4) feels compared to stock set all the way over to sport mode? Mine is always set to sport so I'm not too concerned with losing the adjustability but I'd like to keep that smooth lexus ride.
I wish I could give you an answer but I can't. My stock shocks had 122K miles on them and while they passed the bounce test and I didn't see any signs of past or present leaks they were definitely tired, so it's not really an easy comparison since my stock shocks were pretty harsh riding to being with.