Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Meet, Trail Runs, Expeditions and Land Use > Meeting, Trail run and Expedition reporting

Unread 07-12-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
HOJeepster
Driver

Default CO: Saint John > North Fork Swan River > Georgia Pass Trip Report

I wanted to take advantage of this nice Colorado weather and head back up to the Swan river valley. From Montezuma, I headed up FS 275 which follows a creek and some old homesteads. This trail quickly climbs to the ridge which reaches above 12,000 feet. The views are 360 at this point and it gives you great perspective of the surrounding area. Temperature dropped to 45 degrees.

Following the ridge, there are a handful of steep climbs and descents. One or two of the downgrades were more than entertaining.

From here, I descending down the North Fork Swan River Valley. The trail follows a few switchbacks down, leading to a 50 yard section of whoop-de-whoops that tested the traction control and articulation to my comfort zone. At one spot your car is fully leading inches from a large tree branch, but luckily the truck performed as desired and came out unscathed. There are numerous camping spots along the river as it heads towards Breckenridge.

From the junction, I headed up FS 55 up towards Georgia Pass. I always liked this climb as it provides a handful of off killtered sections and steep ascents over various small boulders. The view from the top looking east into the South Park valley are awesome.

I decided to keep trekking since the day was going well and headed up FS 121 up towards Webster Pass. Unfortunately, the pass was still closed due to snow, so I wasn't able to take it up and over to Deer Creek and back home. I decided to just post up camp, also foregoing Red Cone for another day, and went back home.

Definitely recommend this loop, as a day trip or a nice overnighter.

Last edited by HOJeepster; 07-12-2015 at 03:43 PM.
HOJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #2
A10MileHusker
Unlocked

Very awesome report! Jeez I miss CO. Hopefully one of my trips back to CO for work I'll be able to drive down and take a few days to run some old trails.

Looked like a great couple of days!
Kramer 2005 Sport, OW 2.5" CO's, 1.5" RB BL, 3.5" AllPro Rear Springs with Icon Long Travel 2.0, Camburg UCAs, Hanna Quality Sliders, 35x12.50/17 Toyo MT, K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44, Perkins Bumper, Baja Rack, Smittybilt XRC8, Yukon 4.88 Front and Rear, Custom Rear Bumper, Extended Rear End Links
Upcoming Mods:
A10MileHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2015, 06:23 AM   #3
Darklight
Old Timer

Looks like a lot of fun. Man it is beautiful out there!

Bobby
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Clazzio black Leather, LR UCA's ,OW Radflo 2.5"coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 285/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, TJM 10K winch, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, A-ha diff bracket 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #4
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Nice bud. Any good "surprises" in that hut at the top of St Johns again?

I think I might go Red Cone>St Johns>Georgia this weekend.

Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2015, 08:02 PM   #5
daPitbull
Senior Driver

Cool pics. Awesome scenery. I see you have a pair of wolf packs on the roof. Pretty cool bins but the lids on mine warped a bit from super hot weather.
daPitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2015, 07:54 AM   #6
HOJeepster
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPitbull View Post
Cool pics. Awesome scenery. I see you have a pair of wolf packs on the roof. Pretty cool bins but the lids on mine warped a bit from super hot weather.
Yeah, I have to say I really like the Wolf Packs. They seem to be the perfect size for both the roof rack dimensions and rear cargo area - and they seem weather resistant.
Unread 07-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #7
LiveFree
Rookie

Great pictures! Looks like a blast for a day trip. Wish I close to scenery like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LiveFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2016, 10:11 PM   #8
nhlpat
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOJeepster View Post
Definitely recommend this loop, as a day trip or a nice overnighter.
I'm looking to do a loop in this area (in August) and I had a few questions. How did you plan on going from Georgia pass to Webster Pass? Were you going to go down to take 285 for little bit? Or maybe SOB hill? I know you said FS 121 but I can't find that on a map. Nor FS 55 for that matter but I think I figured that part out.

Thanks

These are the tracks I'm looking at from trail damage. One last thing: this is doable for a stock vehicle, 4runner or otherwise, right?

Black '04 LTD V8 4WD (UZN215L) - HCF delete, Hunter push bar, Continental LX20s, Fog light mod, Map light mod, diff breather, rear window hack, energy swaybar bushings

Last edited by nhlpat; 04-17-2016 at 10:30 PM.
nhlpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2016, 07:36 AM   #9
HOJeepster
Driver

Correct. If heading south on Georgia Pass, head to the town of Jefferson along Highway 285, go up and over Kenosha Pass, then take a left north up Webster Pass (Hall Valley Road 60). This is a great loop.

Webster Pass should be doable in a stock 4runner, Redcone no. SOB Hill is also too challenging for a stock 4runner
Unread 04-18-2016, 03:04 PM   #10
nhlpat
Rookie

Ok cool. I wasn't going to try SOB hill that's for sure, but good to know about Red Cone. I knew it was very dangerous (and i hate ledges) but I didn't know its was technically difficult.

Black '04 LTD V8 4WD (UZN215L) - HCF delete, Hunter push bar, Continental LX20s, Fog light mod, Map light mod, diff breather, rear window hack, energy swaybar bushings
nhlpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2016, 03:14 PM   #11
norseman
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPitbull View Post
Time for some AluBoxes. Love these reports and pics. I recently spent time on the trails in AL and FL. Seems like a waste of time when compared to CO. Keep them coming. These mini adventures are great.
'08 ltd v6 4x4|mica gray|1.25" spidertrax|285/65r18 toyo at II | fuel trophy wheels|1.5" 4crawler bl|body mount chop|icon billet uca|2.5 radflo front coilovers + rear shocks|all pro 3.5 rear coils|mt rear links|ss brake lines|dual odyssey w/ ibs|led in/exterior lights|hella supertones|demello front bumper|viair oba|weathertech liners. Das bauen
norseman is offline   Reply With Quote