Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf

Unread 12-21-2016, 07:21 PM   #1
4runherpow
Rookie

Default Please help.. Transmission and dealer bailing

Hi everyone,

Well it's been a rough last month. Finally got my runner back after a major accident and went to do a transmission flush today and got the truck back and when I left the deals lot the vehicle won't shift properly. Took it right back to the dealership and they said there's a solenoid messed up and they want to charge me over $2000 to drop the transmission and fix it. Transmission worked perfectly fine before the service. Has always worked fine since I bought her 8 years ago.

I flushed it once at 100K and now I have 145K and thought a second flush would be good. I told him this is ridiculous and the solenoid must of got gunked up from the flush. They're saying they don't want to pay for it and they're going to try and get BG who provides the fluid to pay for it.

Any help guys? This is ridiculous. My truck worked fine before I brought it to the dealership.

Thanks in advance
-Jon
4runherpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #2
java230
Old Timer

Thats the issue with power flushes, they can clog the tiny passage ways with gunk.

What does the fine print on the bottom of your work order say? Anything about that? Did you leave the dealer lot? Was it "power flushed" Or did they have a transfer machine that uses the TC's pressure to transfer the fluid?

Pan really needs to be dropped and the screen cleaned, otherwise there is a change of stirring things up and clogging passageways.
Unread 12-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
4runherpow
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by java230 View Post
Thats the issue with power flushes, they can clog the tiny passage ways with gunk.

What does the fine print on the bottom of your work order say? Anything about that? Did you leave the dealer lot? Was it "power flushed" Or did they have a transfer machine that uses the TC's pressure to transfer the fluid?

Pan really needs to be dropped and the screen cleaned, otherwise there is a change of stirring things up and clogging passageways.
Really good information. Thank you very much for posting that reply.

What I know is that it was not a power flush and they use the transmissions pressure. And I do not believe they drop the pan and clean it or change the filter which they should especially considering it's a $250 flush.

Anyone have thoughts on telling them to try flushing it again to see if It can move whatever got stuck on the sensor off of it. Just an idea.

I don't know what the FinePrint says but I left the dealership and immediately turn back around after five minutes called them and said I was coming back.
4runherpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2016, 08:16 PM   #4
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

You said BG? Sounds like their "Universal ATF" they were pushing at my old dealership. Never felt comfortable with the stuff, since there's no real alternative to WS ATF that's been verified/tested.
Unread 12-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #5
java230
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runherpow View Post
Really good information. Thank you very much for posting that reply.

What I know is that it was not a power flush and they use the transmissions pressure. And I do not believe they drop the pan and clean it or change the filter which they should especially considering it's a $250 flush.

Anyone have thoughts on telling them to try flushing it again to see if It can move whatever got stuck on the sensor off of it. Just an idea.

I don't know what the FinePrint says but I left the dealership and immediately turn back around after five minutes called them and said I was coming back.
Doubt you will get them to drop the pan for $250 as sad as that sounds. The WS fluid they should have used is not cheap. and you need 12 quarts IIRC.

There is no filter on these, just a screen. Its cleanable.

Not sure another flush will do anything.
Unread 12-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #6
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Realistically they will push the responsibility on BG saying it's possibly due to their product, BG will most likely shirk responsibility saying it can't be their fluid because it's as good as WS ATF (despite not having any real proof for that).