Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Suspension and Tires

Unread 08-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
icon_rep
Rookie

Default ICON Vehicle Dynamics Remote Reservoir Coil-over Shocks!

Hey Guys and Gals...

Everyone has been asking for them so we have decided to offer them. I have attached a photo of one of our prototypes on an FJ Cruiser. We will have the Remote Resi coil-overs for all of our Toyota Applications and possibily for the other lines we offer coil-over shocks for.

For those of you with either DR or ICON Coil-overs already we can retro fit your current coil-overs and put an external reservoir if you would like. As soon as we get all of the parts quoted out I will get a price posted up here for this service. Let me know what you think!!

We should have these in about 2 - 3 Weeks! I will keep everyone posted!

icon_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Crozhawk
PRO ROCK 60s

Those look great!! I'm sure a bunch of guys will be jumping on these.

Solid Axle Conversion
Crozhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Yep, looking forward to these coming out. Are these going to have adjusters for compression/rebound? If they are, it will be between these and the Foxes for me.
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
4mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Bala de Plata
Irregular Member

I dont see why it would have the adjusters.

Icon, just sell your flutter stacks. It is really not that hard to take a shock apart and adjust the stacks to your liking.

Thats "true" shock valving

Bala de Plata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
bulldog
Admin

Very cool, you guys are pulling all the stops out these days.

Please make sure to check the reservoir fitment on the 4RUnner passenger side. It has a the windshield washer bottle that can get in the way. Some folks who fitted King and Fox 2.5" resi had to fab up their own mounts.

I only see use for external adjustable shocks in the rear, due to variations in load, but the front is pretty static once set up. That is unless you really go all out and get bypass shocks, which is in a different class and setup than we are talking about here.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
icon_rep
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Very cool, you guys are pulling all the stops out these days.

Please make sure to check the reservoir fitment on the 4RUnner passenger side. It has a the windshield washer bottle that can get in the way. Some folks who fitted King and Fox 2.5" resi had to fab up their own mounts.

I only see use for external adjustable shocks in the rear, due to variations in load, but the front is pretty static once set up. That is unless you really go all out and get bypass shocks, which is in a different class and setup than we are talking about here.
Thanks for the heads up, we will take a look at it and see what we can do.
Unread 08-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
I only see use for external adjustable shocks in the rear, due to variations in load, but the front is pretty static once set up.
I have to partially disagree with you on this one. Adjustable shocks in the front make sense to me if I get them before the usual front end mods...(bumper and winch). That way I tune the compression and rebound to the stock front end and when I add the weight of the winch and bumper I have the option to adjust the settings for the added weight. (which is substantial)

True, once they are adjusted to the front end configuration, they will remain static and not require further adjustment. (generally). I personally do not want to remove the C/Os to change shim stacks any more than necessary and if I can click a dial then that's what I want.
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
Unread 08-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mudder View Post
I have to partially disagree with you on this one. Adjustable shocks in the front make sense to me if I get them before the usual front end mods...(bumper and winch). That way I tune the compression and rebound to the stock front end and when I add the weight of the winch and bumper I have the option to adjust the settings for the added weight. (which is substantial)

True, once they are adjusted to the front end configuration, they will remain static and not require further adjustment. (generally). I personally do not want to remove the C/Os to change shim stacks any more than necessary and if I can click a dial then that's what I want.
We are going off topic here, but let me just clarify.

Agreed that it is better to have it revalved if there a major shift in weight like addign a bumper and winch. It is also a PITA to pull them have the shims changed. However once it is done it is done. Most of these COs are valved pretty good and very few folks would need to have them revalved after adding a winch and bumper.

However it is also not as easy as just a click to have the valving changed. Normally shocks with external clicking adjustment only limits the flow to the remote resi. Thus it makes the compression stroke firmer or softer. It however does very little to nothing for the rebound. Rebound is just as important as compression though. With adjustable coilovers rebound adjustment is probably more important when you crank them down. To be honest I found that my rear adjustable Fox shocks seem to be more of a gimmick than actually doing what I need, I do need to pull them and have them revalved ( the adjustment on the resi will just be for some fine tuning with a load). Proper valving is far more important than adjusting the resi flow.

The only true way is to get bypass shocks where you can adjust rebound and compression externally. However that is a whole different kettle of fish.

We can discuss the merit of adjustable shocks in much more detail in a new thread if you like. It is an interesting topic and requires a lot of discussion for those who are interested. This thread is about Icon remote resi front COs.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 08-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Ok, thanks Andries for schooling me on the finer points of shock adjustability. I didn't realize the (clicking) adjustments were so minor. I agree on the concept of a new thread for this topic but I'm new to the CO game so someone else will have to start it. I am looking forward to learning some more...
Unread 08-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #10
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Nice, appreciate the upgrade route. Gotta start saving my pennies.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2008, 04:37 PM   #11
icon_rep
Rookie

Default RETROFIT Upgrade Pricing...

OK guys. I sat down with Dylan and we have all of our pricing pretty much nailed down. Everyone that we do will be a bit different. In some cases the shock body will need to be replaced because we could not unscrew the original top cap off of the shock body. In those cases the cost would be slightly higher.

Here is a list of what you would be getting in the retro fit:

New Slotted Upper Mount
New Top Cap w/ Reservoir Port
New Upper Mount Hardware/and Bearing
New 90 Degree Fittings
New Dash 8 20,000PSI Burst Strength Hose
New 7.5" Reservoir w/Billet Aluminum Machined Ends
New O-Rings and Seal for Reservoir
New Misc. Cir Clips and Snap Rings
New Reservoir Bracket w/ Anodized Billet Aluminum J Clamps
(NO CHEESY HOSE CLAMPS!)

Once I have the production run of these clamps and brackets in I will snap some pictures of these so you can see how awesome they look!

With all these parts and the labor, we figured the price to be 450.00 per SET to Retrofit. If your shocks look like they may need the main seals replaced we would cut our normal rebuild cost in half since the shock would already be apart, that would be another $30.00 per shock.
Unread 08-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #12
bulldog
Admin

Very cool!!! Looks like a good option when they get rebuild.

Any news on the fitment on 4Runners?

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 08-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #13
FJCcrawler
Crawler

Nice, thanks for the update on the resi!!

07 FJC
01 4runner
Chris
FJCcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2008, 12:16 AM   #14
icon_rep
Rookie

We are going to do our best make sure the bracket we fabricate works on all the newer Toyota applications.
Unread 08-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #15
zimm17
Driver

I might be in the market for a pair of coil-overs in the near the future- I was impressed with my F250 DR suspension. How much would the external res coil overs be vs. the non-res $995 ones?
zimm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2008, 12:30 PM   #16
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Dang I wish I had the cash for all this yummy Icon equipment. Wonder if they would sponsor me LOL...I'll donate my truck to big Icon stickers all over it if necessary.... drool drool drool
04 V8 SE, RST Twin stick conversion, RST Tacoma Front Axle conversion, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 remote resi coilovers and Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB and 2m/70cm Ham, Sat. Radio, CO2 system, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, Front Runner RTT.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #17
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Dang I wish I had the cash for all this yummy Icon equipment. Wonder if they would sponsor me LOL...I'll donate my truck to big Icon stickers all over it if necessary.... drool drool drool
Well it would be great if they can use your truck to dial in the Icon suspension for the heavier V8 4Runner, and also look at the front fitment issues for 4Runners. You are in SOCal so it will be easy to test. I had to drop my Icons for 2.5 FJC SAWs s the valving was off with the bumper, etc on the front. WOuld be great if it can be dialed in a bit more for the heavier truck.

I think there are a large number of 4Runner buyers out there, they are just not as vocal on forums as FJC and Taco guys.

Sorry didn't mean to get off topic, just thought I would jump on a good idea here

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 08-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #18
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

hehe

04 V8 SE, RST Twin stick conversion, RST Tacoma Front Axle conversion, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 remote resi coilovers and Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB and 2m/70cm Ham, Sat. Radio, CO2 system, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, Front Runner RTT.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2008, 05:53 PM   #19
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Do the letters always rotate as the vehicle moves......so the word remains straight??
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #20
icon_rep
Rookie

All of you have been amazingly patient!!!!! The R&D is DONE!!! The production on the parts will be done this week!!! We will be boxing them and shipping completed coil-over shocks my next week!!!

The only parts we have not done yet are the billet clamps for the reservoir. We have to work a bit more on designing a nice clamp to work with our new revised bracket. Other than that we are ready to go!

If you would like to get your shocks retro fitted we will start taking service requests now. Send me an email and I will get ( jjohnson@iconvehicledynamics.com ) everything lined up so we can get them done quick and back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks again everyone. Send me some feedback!

This bracket will not interfere with the Washer Bottle!

Last edited by icon_rep; 11-18-2008 at 11:24 AM.