Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Maintenance

Unread 12-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #41
tonedog
Rookie

Default humming..

crazydubman,

Thanks for you post, I was afraid of that. Wheel bearings sounded so much easier to fix!

The issue did start happening after the differential fluid was changed at the dealer. I did have the fluid levels checked again, and they were ok.

What else in the diff specifically should i be looking for or should be asking them to do to solve this issue?

Ton
tonedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #42
crazydubman
NorCal Prerunner

if the dealer is who changed out the diff fluid i would have them pull the diff and check things out on the bench. easy way to narrow down whether its the diff.
1979 VW rabbit 1.6D - low and slow weekend cruiser
Bay Area local born and raised
crazydubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #43
tonedog
Rookie

crazydubman,

Thanks again, but I don't think that highly of the dealers out there, basically all the stuff i've had them do, and its alot.. I had to practically solve the issue or point them in a specific direction for them to be able to fix anything.

Basically, its up to me to figure it out as they have no problem solving skills, just part changing skills!

Its workout'd out for me doing it this way, in the form of less visits, less time without vehicle while it sits in the shop and overall less disappointment.

I've been correct in my diagnosis so many times based on research, that when i come in and ask for something to be replaced they just do it and call it in under the warranty.

So, now I gotta try and get more info on this differential issue, like fonrt or rear diff ect...

ton
tonedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #44
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

Has anyone gone this route but just replaced the complete rotor bearing assembly? According to the service manual from Toyota it appears that they recommend just replacing it complete. Seems a lot easier.
the_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #45
03L4RUNNER
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_josh View Post
Has anyone gone this route but just replaced the complete rotor bearing assembly? According to the service manual from Toyota it appears that they recommend just replacing it complete. Seems a lot easier.
Easier yes, but cheaper no.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #46
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

How much are the ones from Toyota? Rather buy a OEM part that try to save a few bucks on a Chinese bearing. I think you get what you pay for on high stress parts like wheel bearings

Sent from my Nexus 4
Unread 02-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #47
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
How much are the ones from Toyota? Rather buy a OEM part that try to save a few bucks on a Chinese bearing. I think you get what you pay for on high stress parts like wheel bearings

Sent from my Nexus 4
$176.42 Bearing assy, front axle w/abs rotor rh part number 43570 60011.

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #48
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack View Post
$176.42 Bearing assy, front axle w/abs rotor rh part number 43570 60011.
Awesome thanks jon, are the parts numbers the same for both sides?
Unread 02-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #49
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Awesome thanks jon, are the parts numbers the same for both sides?
It appears so, do you have both off the truck and can compare them?

Unread 02-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #50
UnionJack
Old Timer

We are dealing with the front correct? They are two different part numbers for the rear and considerably more expensive $375.00

Unread 02-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #51
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

Yeah just for the front. I have new bearings from Currie for the rear

Sent from my Nexus 4
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #52
Offroader5
Driver

My drivers side is humming and in need of replacement. Interestingly enough, I called my local dealership today to get an estimate for replacement of both front bearings since I was going to have it in there shortly for the timing belt r&r anyway. They told me $725 PER SIDE. I laughed at him. He told me the bearing alone was $400, the rest was the labor and that it "is not a fun job".

I'm going to buy those pre-assembled ones on Ebay. I called the dealership in hopes that it would be at least somewhat close to the cost of buying the one's off Ebay. I figured it may be a TAD more and at that point may be willing to just have them do it. But, that's a big difference.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #53
Ruffian
Driver

Ruffian is in the shop this very moment getting her passenger side bearing replaced. That's why I'm here to read up more about it. I had a loud tinny pinging sound occur as I drove through Tahoe City about a month and a half ago. Sounded a lot like a rock slinging around inside of a rim or something metal broken loose and banging another metal part. Felt a little vibration in the steering column. I pulled over, looked around & under the vehicle, couldn't see anything amiss. So on I went and the sound had stopped. Last week it came back two different days and only for a couple of minutes. Then this past Tuesday it came back with a vengence. My commute from north shore to west shore is all of 12 minutes. It did it in the morning, lunch break and then finally on the way home during a easy snow fall. I could not figure it out! And scary enough now it was more than just a light vibration in the steering but I could feel it on the floor board. I drove to a local shop and it took him almost 2 hours to figure it out on Wed. It sort of sounded like to me a heat shield loose since I've done that before after deep water crossings at high speed. He thought it was something in the braking system that had broken loose. Finally found it when he pulled the tire to inspect further. He's charging me for the part and 3 hours of labor. I'm hoping he sticks to that but we'll find out when I go pick her up tonight.
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #54
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

I just finished installing my new rotor assemblies in the front tonight. I would rate the whole job at a 2 outta 10. It was very easy I guess the hard part was maybe removing the axle but but then again I have a 800ft lb impact wrench so it was actually easy. I decided to go the OEM route and order the complete rotor assembly versus just changing out the bearings with cheap Chinese bearings. For all the parts for both side including the rotor assemblies, hub spacers and o rings it cost me $300 (thanks to my best friend and his wholesale Toyota discount) and then $70 to have a machine shop press out my old bearings and press in the new ones onto the hub assemblies. When I picked up my parts today the machine shop said the old bearings appears the have some water damage on one side and after reassembling them all I kinda think the weak link is between the 4 hub bolts and the spindle. Eventhough there is a o ring if you ever have a shop work on your rig and they don't torque the bolts down enough water can seep thru and on one side the bolts appeared to only be finger tight so that's how the water got in. (Had a local shop replace one side CV and that's the side that had water damage) so anyway when I reinstated the hubs I put a bead of rtv around the flange to prevent water intrusion.

Sent from my Nexus 4
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #55
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Way to go Josh. Good info.
04 V8 SE, Twin stick conversion, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 35"s, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 remote resi coilovers and Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB and 2m/70cm Ham, Sat. Radio, CO2 system, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, Front Runner RTT.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #56
Mr BC
Rookie

So Josh,
You're saying you've got new rotors now? I've begun to have a humming/roar and I believe an associated vibration in the steering. So far as I've seen and have been told, my rotors are fine. Had the shop inspect the tires, brakes, steering undercarriage, etc. They said a bad front wheel bearing but they couldn't say which side yet. I'm gonna take it to another shop for a second opinion, but just for comparison/confirmation. I don't think the initial shop is wrong. They've always done great for me. I've got to change my diff fluids so I'm going to pull the front wheels and see if I can tell anything myself.

Question on the pressing... Is it the pressing the whole thing back on the axle? Otherwise I thought the pre-assebmbled unit was just that and a bolt-on fix. The "pressing the old and new bearings" has me a bit confused.

Bob
Unread 04-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #57
HokieRunner
Rookie

I just went through the same issue and ended up replacing the bearings and re-used the orig hubs. Problem solved! No more vibration. Thanks for the great writeup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BC View Post

Question on the pressing... Is it the pressing the whole thing back on the axle? Otherwise I thought the pre-assebmbled unit was just that and a bolt-on fix. The "pressing the old and new bearings" has me a bit confused.

Bob
If you get the pre-assembled unit it should just bolt on with the 4 bolts; no pressing involved. Sounds like Josh was referencing pressing the bearings into the hubs. That should be the only pressing needed for the bearing replacement.
HokieRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #58
4RunnerSeth
Rookie

I just did mine a couple weeks ago. WHen i pressed the hub out of the bearing assembly one of the inner races stayed on the hub. With no way to get it off I bought a new hub assembly and just pressed it into the new bearing assembly. Very easy job. The guys at the dealership told me they just cut into those inner races with a dremel them crack them with a screw driver and hammer. I will be doing that with mine in the future so I have a spare hub.
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #59
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BC View Post
So Josh,
You're saying you've got new rotors now? I've begun to have a humming/roar and I believe an associated vibration in the steering. So far as I've seen and have been told, my rotors are fine. Had the shop inspect the tires, brakes, steering undercarriage, etc. They said a bad front wheel bearing but they couldn't say which side yet. I'm gonna take it to another shop for a second opinion, but just for comparison/confirmation. I don't think the initial shop is wrong. They've always done great for me. I've got to change my diff fluids so I'm going to pull the front wheels and see if I can tell anything myself.

Bob
Sorry if it was confusing if you buy the rotor assembly from Toyota it will come as one complete bearing assembly. You just have to have the hub flange pressed onto the rotor assembly. Then you just bolt it on. So yes it is much simpler but you will still have to get some press work down but it was cheap for that part

Sent from my Nexus 4
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #60
Mr BC
Rookie

Default Found the website for the hub/bearing assy.

I know there is a seller on ebay who sells these, but there is the direct website. The prices look the same. maybe it's the same guy.

http://bluepitbearings.com/

and a YT vid on the install if anyone is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVuM8iVO6u8

On another note, I found that Harbor Freight sells a 20 ton press for right at $200 on sale I think. I thought about going that route and just getting a new bearing and seals I guess, and do the pressing myself. Looks like the cost will almost be equal with a hub/bearing assy. replacement, and I'll have a press to do it to the next one that goes, or for my wifes car, or a friend, etc. (or crushing stuff into oblivion...). That HF press has very good reviews (esp. vs. the 12 ton press). Not sure how much I'd use a press, but I love to DIY stuff so who knows how useful it could become. Either way, compared to the cost of a trip to the dealer or even an independent shop, it seems like a win with either route.

I'm actually suspicious that my suspected bearing issue could be a tire issue as it only came up after my last rotation. I figure I'll rotate again and see what happens. As they say, try the easy/simple/cheap fixes first...

Anyhow, just wanted to share what I found.

Cheers.
Bob