Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Maintenance

Unread 04-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #61
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

Any updates on this?

When I had my bearings pressed out at a shop they told me it took about 25 tons of pressure to press out. I'm not really sure if the HF press is up to that task.

I tried it before with the 12ton press and literally bent up the press
the_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #62
Mr BC
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_josh View Post
Any updates on this?

When I had my bearings pressed out at a shop they told me it took about 25 tons of pressure to press out. I'm not really sure if the HF press is up to that task.

I tried it before with the 12ton press and literally bent up the press
I went with the hub/bearing assembly from Bluepit. I haven't had time to install them yet. When I got to looking at the doing the whole process myself, another look at the service manual shows the old bearing being removed with a puller, and it looks to be a pretty good sized one. I asked around all the parts houses and no one had a puller big enough I could rent. The OTC "Hub grappler" is the closest I could find that looks like the Toyota SST, but those are pretty expensive. All the auto/machine shops who said they could do the press work said they have to look at the parts first before they could confirm they could do it. That surprised me a bit, and I don't have the time to be running (borrowing a car) all over town on "maybe's." Mine are sounding worse and I know the hub can get damages by running on bad bearings for too long. I went with the whole assembly because I didn't want to get the old bearings off and find I did have damage to the hubs and no new hubs. And , then I realized I might have trouble getting the old stuff off to begin with.

After I install the new assemblies, I'll have the old ones to figure out a solution. The two pieces are so close together that I wonder how it would be done on a press for the removal, which explains why the Svc. manual shows the puller. I thought I might try a big 3-jaw puller which I may rent to pull the whole thing off the knuckle. I'd like to avoid pounding on the hub with a hammer, etc. Autozone has a 5 ton puller, but I'm not sure my impact drill/wrench has enough muscle. Maybe I can get some PB Blaster in there to help. Looks like pressing on a new bearing is really straight forward.
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #63
kylebacc
Driver

It's not as tough as it seems. Any reasonable shop will be able to press what needs to be pressed, even if it's not a big hydraulic press. I used a hub bearing press kit with an impact wrench. Just be careful with the new seals, because they are easy to mess up when installing right before you press the hub on the new bearing. For some reason that escapes me now, I remember having to tap out the studs from the hub. YMMV.

2006 GX470 Sport | KDSS | Bone Stock...for now
2003 Sport V8 4WD | TRD Supercharged | Ute Back - Sold
2006 SR5 V6 2WD | 3/2" Suspension | 1.25" Body - Sold
kylebacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:13 AM   #64
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

I think it really depends on the area, I live in the highly populated bay area and I called around to about 8 shops before I could find someone to press out the bearings and that included the Toyota dealership
the_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #65
kylebacc
Driver

Wow, that's crazy! I guess you're right about it depending on the area. My issue was more about who was going to try to rip me off, but I supposed I'd take that rather than not finding a way at all.

2006 GX470 Sport | KDSS | Bone Stock...for now
2003 Sport V8 4WD | TRD Supercharged | Ute Back - Sold
2006 SR5 V6 2WD | 3/2" Suspension | 1.25" Body - Sold
kylebacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #66
Mr BC
Rookie

Got the new bearings and hubs on, roaring noise is gone... yipee!

If I still lived in Raleigh, I might have been better able to find someone who could press out the bearings. The few shops (3) who said they had a press wanted to see the parts first. With the wife at work and having the kids with me, I wasn't able to traipse back and forth across town for some yahoos to DECIDE if they could do the work. I tried to explain to them that if I brought in my hub assemblies, then my car wouldn't have any front wheels... kinda hard to travel that way...

It's all done now, one side didn't want to come out so easily. Incidentally, I'll post a pic of a "jig" that I made so I could re-tighten my axle nuts. I didn't want to bear down against a metal prybar (nor did I have one long enough to reach anyway) and potentially mar the stud treads. I was losing daylight so I had to whip this up fast, so the center hole was big enough to allow the axle top pass through and allow for any slop in my very rough estimates of the positions of the stud holes. The overall height was alright, I just needed something to brace against the driveway. Worked like a charm even if it is ugly. Already have a better design in mind for the next time if I need it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axle nut jig 2.jpg (440.3 KB, 55 views)
Unread 07-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #67
phishtaco
Driver

Would wheel bearing noise go away as you brake? I've got what sound almost like brake grinding going on from worn out pads. I've replaced front rotors and calipers withing the past 18 months and did the rears about 6 months ago.
Unread 07-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #68
Mr BC
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishtaco View Post
Would wheel bearing noise go away as you brake? I've got what sound almost like brake grinding going on from worn out pads. I've replaced front rotors and calipers withing the past 18 months and did the rears about 6 months ago.
No. If you have wheel bearing issues they won't go away with braking. I guess there might be a change in the sound slightly, but I wouldn't think much. If it's just one side that's becoming a problem, you'll hear a difference when you turn. If your hear a noise ( sounded like a humming to me, but many describe it also as a roaring) when you turn left (for example), the right bearing has an issue, etc. I had both my fronts go bad so I couldn't hear any changes with turning, so at first I though it was brakes. You have new pads with the rotors and calipers?

Get a mechanics stethoscope and listen to the bearings (with the front wheels off the ground). You ought to be able to hear them that way, however, the sound is slight. When I changed mine I listened to the old ones and the new ones. The newbies were dead silent, the oldies had a sort of scratching noise (to my ears), and I listened to them when they were both off the truck (with the steth and just the naked ears turning them in my hand). To hear the bad ones turning in my hand, it wasn't what I'd call a terrible racket, esp. compared to how loud they were while driving on them.
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #69
phishtaco
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BC View Post
No. If you have wheel bearing issues they won't go away with braking. I guess there might be a change in the sound slightly, but I wouldn't think much. If it's just one side that's becoming a problem, you'll hear a difference when you turn. If your hear a noise ( sounded like a humming to me, but many describe it also as a roaring) when you turn left (for example), the right bearing has an issue, etc. I had both my fronts go bad so I couldn't hear any changes with turning, so at first I though it was brakes. You have new pads with the rotors and calipers?

Get a mechanics stethoscope and listen to the bearings (with the front wheels off the ground). You ought to be able to hear them that way, however, the sound is slight. When I changed mine I listened to the old ones and the new ones. The newbies were dead silent, the oldies had a sort of scratching noise (to my ears), and I listened to them when they were both off the truck (with the steth and just the naked ears turning them in my hand). To hear the bad ones turning in my hand, it wasn't what I'd call a terrible racket, esp. compared to how loud they were while driving on them.
Yes, new front and rear rotors, calipers, pads. It seems to go away when I hit the brakes and when I turn(like a eased turn on a hwy).

Thanks for the reply
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #70
leo98
Rookie

I've also been noticing a humming ("flying saucer") sound from the front-driver wheel - sounds almost like loud nobby tires... I too thought it was my tire nearing its end-of-life; although, I've consistently rotated the tires and all four appear to be in the same condition. I'm not experiencing any abnormal vibrations in the front end. The sound is constant and louder with speed; no change when braking.
Since moving to a hilly area, I noticed that the humming sound temporarily (very temporarily) goes away when making an abrupt right turn at a higher speed; the sound is still present when taking a gradual right turn (curvy road) but goes away when I take the turn a little sharper/abrupt. The moment I begin to straighten out, the sound comes right back. Gonna let the dealer check it out....and if it's confirmed that the wheel bearings are out I'll probably try the Blue Bit Bearings....
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #71
Wishbone
Senior Driver

I am starting to get a hum like you are describing, going to rotate and then call it the bearing if there is no change, truck is @ 145k.

Last edited by Wishbone; 09-05-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #72
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Also, here is a good option for replacement.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ave-money.html

Unread 09-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #73
leo98
Rookie

Ended up being driver's side bearings. Unfortunately, since I'm not near my 4Runner (wife), I paid the dealer $538 to fix. Oh well, problem fixed.
Unread 09-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #74
Wishbone
Senior Driver

Ouch.