Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf

Unread 08-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Hovenator
Rookie

Default My Truck is possesed!

My truck did something very odd today that it's never done before. I put the rear window down using the key FOB. I then used the key to raise the window from the lift gate. The truck was locked at that point. I then turned the key all the way to the left and I heard the doors all unlock. So at this point the rear window was up and all the doors were unlocked. So I pulled open the rear left door to check if it was unlocked. At that point the alarm went off... which consists of flashing lights and honking horn. So I tried to cancell it using the key FOB buttons but they had no effect. Then the truck's engine started to turn over all by itself!!!, however it wouldn't start and it stopped turning over after about 5 seconds.

At htis point I was quite freaked out so I got in the drivers side and put the key in the ignition and turned it to on. At that point the horn stopped sounding. I then tried the key FOB again to see if it would do anything. No beeping or door locking however the truck tried to start itself again! So I put the key back in the ignition, and started the truck with it. The truck started right up. Then i turned the key off and pulled the key out but the truck kept running!!!! Great. So I put the key back in turned it to on then put the trans into drive, back into park and then turned the key off at which point the truck shut off. I quickly got out and locked the truck with the FOB which worked fine.

What the heck happened!!!!! Has anyone else had a similar experience?

2003 sr5 V6 4Runner, 140 000 Kms.
Unread 08-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
StormTrooper
Rookie

sounds like your electrical system is effed up or someone is pranking you by messing with the wiring... maybe ashton kutcher is hiding in a van across the street with a camera?? honestly i have no idea what's wrong. never heard of anything like that other than my friend could take the key out of his moms minivan while it was still running but he never had it try to start on its own. very strange.... maybe call toyota? idk good luck tho.
Unread 08-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
BlairB
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooper View Post
... maybe ashton kutcher is hiding in a van across the street with a camera??

2008 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD V6- Long Travel, Expo Rig
Build Thread

2016 Tundra 1794 TRD Off Road
BlairB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
bulldog
Admin

Do you have an aftermarket alarm and remote start system?

Most of these issues I have seen has been due to the aftermarket accessories, especially alarms and remote start systems.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #5
Larry77
Rookie

You gotta have remote start...maybe dealer installed? I used to do strange stuff like you described with my old aftermarket alarm system with remote start because I never took out the factory alarm.
Larry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
Hovenator
Rookie

I'm not sure what the truck has in it. I've only had it for 6 months. It uses the factory key FOB though. The dealer did tell me that he remote started it once while he was looking for it in the lot and pressing the FOB buttons. I've never been able to get it to do that. I drove it to and from work today with no issues.
I guess I'll just call it Christine!