Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 08-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #21
07 Elephant
Elephant Trainer

I didn't think about hiding the plug for loss of the keys. Might be a nice measure. For the most part folks put the plug where it's not too much of a hassle to get at so you can start the rig. I'll remove the plug when I leave it in the parking garage at work - even though there are security cams and car and foot patrols - and when I leave the rig in high traffic areas like a movie theater or the grocery store etc.

I might yet install a fancy viper or something like that for remote engine starting and some window magic and a paging system. But I was attracted to the simplicity and at the same time complexity of the ravelco bypass plug.

Here's to going first on something
Rob's Elephant: 2007 4Runner V8 limited 4x4 w/navi, Shrockworks sliders, ARB bull bar, Gobi stealth roof rack, Budbuilt skids, Icon UCAs, Icon coilovers, Icon rear, custom coils, Airlift 1000, Wabfab end links, Slee lines, Nitto dune grapplers 285/60/18, 1/2" BL, spider trax 1.25, Warn xp9.5, 10 IPF lights, dual battery, aux fuse box, custom alum drawer, Engel 45, Maggiolina Grand Tour Gallery
07 Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #22
T4RUSAF
Driver

I've had one installed in a previous car and they are quite simple in design and work very well. In fact, I purchased a few from a dealer that was going to no longer sell them in which I planned to install it in my vehicles when I got a chance. I can take pics of it in bare form if anyone is interested and explain how it works. There is no circuitry so essentially you can't fry anything. Also, the plug itself is 'keyed' so you can't put it on upside down either. Its pretty good and I'll eventually install it in mine at some point.
T4RUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #23
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Interesting choice for an install spot. You must have a different entry/exit technique than I do because that spot on my truck is full of scuff marks, I kick it all the time getting in and out.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #24
07 Elephant
Elephant Trainer

Mike I don't have any scuff marks from my feet kicking that part of the interior. I can see your point though. I don't have any issues with the location personally. This winter if my big boots get in the way I might have to reconsider.

And to report back after a few weeks of having the ravelco...I'm happy with it. I haven't lost the plug yet so no problems there. I have tried to start the rig a couple times without having the ravelco plugged in. Sux when it's hot as h$ll in Texas and the a/c doesn't kick in right away and I have to fumble a bit to get the plug fitted and then try again. I have a bit more piece of mind when I leave the rig behind. I also try to park in parking garages when avail since most tow trucks can't get into them.

No security solution is 100% and the more secure you are the more of a hassle it can be for the operator to gain legitimate access. This little plug thing seems to me to be just the right balance.
Rob's Elephant: 2007 4Runner V8 limited 4x4 w/navi, Shrockworks sliders, ARB bull bar, Gobi stealth roof rack, Budbuilt skids, Icon UCAs, Icon coilovers, Icon rear, custom coils, Airlift 1000, Wabfab end links, Slee lines, Nitto dune grapplers 285/60/18, 1/2" BL, spider trax 1.25, Warn xp9.5, 10 IPF lights, dual battery, aux fuse box, custom alum drawer, Engel 45, Maggiolina Grand Tour Gallery
Unread 08-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #25
AlexJet
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Elephant View Post
... I also try to park in parking garages when avail since most tow trucks can't get into them...
Lucky you that you can get in. I measured my truck and I need 7' clearance to get it in.
'09 Custom Expedition Trailer --- 35"
AlexJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #26
07 Elephant
Elephant Trainer

Quick update. No problems to report. The location of the plug is working out fine. I don't seem to kick it or feel I need to avoid it. So all in all for the 350$ or so and added piece of mind I'm very pleased.

Who's next?
Unread 01-08-2011, 01:20 AM   #27
MysticZ
4wd Twin Stick Newbie

You paid $300? I was quoted for install $469.95 plus tax.

Is really worth it?

RST www.rocksolidtoys.com IFS 4WD Conversion Done..
MysticZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #28
07 Elephant
Elephant Trainer

I'm happy with it. It's simple and has never left me stranded like some of the fancy alarms I've had in the past.