Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 02-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #61
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

I will be continuing my sound proofing project on my build thread

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showt...t=8421&page=22

i posted fresh pictures of it all stripped!

Last edited by the_josh; 02-18-2011 at 07:54 PM.
the_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #62
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

my truck is finally all back together, took me some time as i wanted to do it slow and steady and i was on vacation last weekend.

i took my truck on the freeway tonight and it is a night and day difference, the cabin is so quiet now and the sound from the roof rack is only a whisper now. conversations will be so much easier now and the stereo sounds 10 times better, the bass is very solid. another plus is when i auto start my truck and sometimes i would forget to turn down my radio it would be blasting, but now with all the soundproofing stuff the exterior sound is very very minimal

Last edited by the_josh; 03-07-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Unread 03-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #63
Photog
Old Timer

Nice job.!

Any idea how much weight you added, with all the soundproofing material?
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #64
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
Nice job.!

Any idea how much weight you added, with all the soundproofing material?
Thanks!

All said and done the material used was about 50lbs, I still have a good amount extra that I'll probably add to the doors in spots I might have only lightly covered. I have about 1.75 sq ft left of V-comp but no where to put it because the floor is completely covered and also the headliner in the front is quadruple layered.
Unread 04-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #65
Chrisx
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mudder View Post
I finished the cargo area yesterday.
Very nice Jon! Thank you!
Chrisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 06:58 AM   #66
Quint
Right coast Runner

I just performed this mod over the weekend. I used fatmat 80 mil "rattletrap" on all the floor panels front to back and all I can say is wow. I should have done this a long time ago, road noise is greatly reduced and it really quited down on the noise coming from my exhaust. It worked so well I am buying another roll to do the door panels.
2005 sport - OW 2.5 - Budbuilt skids- BFG MT km2 285/70/17- FJ wheels - Shrockworks sliders- T.C. LCA and rear link skids - wabfab rear swaybar links- all pro ultimate lower links - magnaflow exhaust- k&n intake- Total Chaos uca & panhard - dual batteries - Perkins bumper - Smitty XRC8 - ARB CKMA12 onboard air - 2.5 gal. viair tank - 4.56 gears and rear ARB
Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #67
Offroader5
Driver

I did the whole rear cargo area of mine several weeks ago also using Fatmat. I also went a couple steps further and added it to the backside of the rear quarter plastic facias and then on top of that threw a layer of 3/8" jute.

ALL THUMBS ARE CLICKABLE

Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #68
sandapanda
Driver

what is the biggest impact areas in terms of sound reduction? i want to break it down - do either floor or headliners first, and then doors, but want to start with what would make most difference.
Thinking floor, starting with the hatch area.
sandapanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #69
Josh220
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandapanda View Post
what is the biggest impact areas in terms of sound reduction? i want to break it down - do either floor or headliners first, and then doors, but want to start with what would make most difference.
Thinking floor, starting with the hatch area.
If you have a roof rack, then I would start with the headliner.

Without a roof rack, I would do the floor prior to doing the doors. I would recommend basically working your way back for the most reduction. Start with the floor under the front mats, then front seats, rear mats, rear seats, etc. You want to do the cargo area as well but unless you have a loud exhaust, working your way from the front, including the doors, will yield the best benefits.
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #70
Offroader5
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh220 View Post
If you have a roof rack, then I would start with the headliner.

Without a roof rack, I would do the floor prior to doing the doors. I would recommend basically working your way back for the most reduction. Start with the floor under the front mats, then front seats, rear mats, rear seats, etc. You want to do the cargo area as well but unless you have a loud exhaust, working your way from the front, including the doors, will yield the best benefits.
I plan on covering much more...but I noticed a big difference in interior noise after doing only the rear cargo area. IMO, the rear cargo area being that it is a wide open space, tends to bring in more road noise than the front. In the seating areas, the seats act as a noise absorber of sorts of any sound coming in beneath them. The rear wheel wells being completely open to the interior allows the tire noise through to the interior...whereas the fronts are not lending to the interior noise since the tires/wells are further out and not inside the cabin.

Interesting thing is, after the rear cargo area was deadened, I noticed more noise coming from the doors. Doesn't seem to be coming through the door itself, but rather around the edge. Either I need to replace the door seals...or the rubber seal is the path of least resistance for the sound to come through.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote