Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Outfitting

Unread 03-18-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
bulldog
Admin

Default 4Runner in for gears and lockers

Dropped of my 4Runner yesterday at River City Diff to get my gears and lockers done. It should be done by the end of the week, and I'll report back as I have more info.

I went to River City Diff just outside Sacramento as he was highly recommended by the Land Cruiser and Rubicon crowd. He seems to be a favorite with NorCal guys building trucks and buggies to do serious rock crawling.

I got the 4.56 gears and ARB lockers. I have to thank Jason for his help and patience. He shipped his broken rear 3rd and the spare front diff to Sean. This way Sean could break it down and understand what is required to do the work. This was done quite some time back. In the end he sourced the front R&P from All Pro, the rear he got the rear R&P and flange from his own sources since he is very familiar with the mini truck crowd.

He will be using solid pinion spacer and ARB lockers on both ends. With a good install (he has a very good reputation for it) the axles will be as strong as we can get them at this point. So I guess time will tell how well it holds up (I planning on running 35s).

Since the 4Runner was at 4x4labs and will go back again after the diff install, I didn't have time to install anything (compressor , switches, air lines, etc) and asked Sean to do everything.

Sean will drive the 4Runner back and forth for few days from his house, to break in the gears for me. Then at 4x4labs they will install a drain plug protector, which requires them to drain the rear diff, I will just ask them to drain and refill the front at the same time. SO at least it should be broken in when it gets home. I will swap oil again at 70K miles (currently 67k).

It is pretty expensive, but I hope it holds up really well.
  • Front gears $500
  • Rear gears $225
  • Rear flange $85
  • Solid pinions spacers both ends $50
  • Install kits and seals $250
  • Lockers both ends $1500
  • ARB mini compressor $200
  • Install $1250

Will see how the final price tallies up. You can save quite a bit of money on the install if you install the rear 3rd, front diff yourself. Also do the compressor and wiring yourself, with the air lines. This will save quite a bit on labor. I will see about little odds and ends add up and the final prices, but I think the above estimate is more or less were it is at.

Hopefully sometime in the future there will be cheaper front gears (not AP import) and a rear solution that does not require the flange and extra work on it. Doing that and some of the labor yourself should bring down the price quite a bit.

I did request the new stainless steel airlines (VERY IMPORTANT) from ARB instead of the blue plastic lines. This should definitely improve the reliability of the system a lot.

So now I just hope everything turns out really well, and I don't run into the air leaks, gear whine, etc problems that can arise from such an install. I went to the best shop I could find and requested the best components that are available, but you never know. The fun and joy of these mods.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Congrats, can't wait to see the finished project in action.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
Congrats, can't wait to see the finished project in action.
Thx. neither can I. WIll still be a while before I get it back form 4x4labs.

Then there is a whole laundry list fo toher things I need to go reveist. Cargo system, rear suspension, etc. At least I will be able to wheel again, while fixing those. Never ending list.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 03-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
Dealmaker
Senior Driver

Please be sure that the River City and 4X4Labs people carefully document everything for future 4th gen 4Runner customers who request The Bulldog Upgrades .
Unread 03-18-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealmaker View Post
Please be sure that the River City and 4X4Labs people carefully document everything for future 4th gen 4Runner customers who request The Bulldog Upgrades .
Yep, it is being done.

I think the major items of the gears and lockers have already been discussed in the who makes gears for the 4th Gen thread. If there is anything else that is interesting popping up it will be discussed.

Main items:
- Frotn gears are only available at All pro and only 4.56 currently, also $$$$
- Front locker ARB RD111 (4.56 gears) rear is ARB RD23
- Rear gears are std V6 8" rear on mini truck, 3rd gen, etc.
- Need Fine spline flange/yoke for rear pinion on 4th Gen. (TOY60010). WIll confirm drilling with Sean later.
- Fitted solid pinion spacers rear and front for extra strength. The front is the same as rear, just shorter. This with the ARB locker will substantially increase R&P strength due to decrease in deflection under stress. Also the lockers will help decrease wheelspin/stress on driveline during serious rock work.
- Good install is a must for these things, so find a shop with a great reputation.
- Stainless steel air lines will substantially decrease line failure in the long run. Less likely to burn or break.

I believe Sean will be fine with folks shipping 3rds, front diffs to him and him doing the install of the gears and lockers. Then you can just pop it in at home. JP4Crawler might explore this route. Details later on this.

The big thing will be to see how it turns out in the longer run 6-12 months, with a few people wheeling this and some big tires. Issues/if any will pop up then.

As to 4x4labs, most of the work re rear bumper/skids are beign designed as a bolt on. Luke will be interested in making these products without requiring frame hacking, however he might require some additional test fitting on different models. The body mount trimming, bracket reinforcement, diff plug, etc is weld work which is pretty much custom. I will cover that in the future, when there is more to show/discuss.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 03-18-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
Canyon.4R
Driver

Very exciting bulldog!

Also exciting is the possibility of shipping out diffs for the install of gears and lockers to a shop that is competent and has actually done the install before. It's hard to find shops that do quality work and care about other people's stuff.

Hope everything works out real nice for you, since you are going out on a limb for all the 4Runner guys!
Canyon.4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
Tucson T4R
Driver

Thumbs up

Ok, now you have me major jeleous!

You have put together a really sweet set up. I probably won't push mine that far but you have done outstanding research and will end up with a rig that that will be bullet proof.

With this set up, I better hear about you organizing a Dusy Ershim trail run!

2004 V8 Sport
OME Suspension Lift
Springs: OME 886/895
Shocks: OME N140S/N142S
1/2" 4Crawler Body Lift
265/70/17 BF Goodrich AT/KO
Dual batteries
Shrockworks Bumper and Sliders
Ramsey 9500 Synthetic Wireless Winch
Tucson T4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Congrats and very exciting Andries!

Apparently another company is bringing out 4.56 gears made in the USA around May. They will be much cheaper than the gears coming from Iceland (Toyota).

That's all I know at this stage.

Its awesome that the 4th gens are moving ahead...wish my wallet was too.

When do you anticipate to have the truck back home Andries, or did I miss that somewhere in the post?

Cheers
Mark
04 V8 SE, RST Twin sticks, RST Taco Front Axle, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 resi coilovers, Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT. OFFROAD PARKS BLOW!
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #9
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson T4R View Post
Ok, now you have me major jeleous!

You have put together a really sweet set up. I probably won't push mine that far but you have done outstanding research and will end up with a rig that that will be bullet proof.

With this set up, I better hear about you organizing a Dusy Ershim trail run!
Thx, we shall see how it holds up in the long run. That way it will be useful for other guys in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Congrats and very exciting Andries!

Apparently another company is bringing out 4.56 gears made in the USA around May. They will be much cheaper than the gears coming from Iceland (Toyota).

That's all I know at this stage.

Its awesome that the 4th gens are moving ahead...wish my wallet was too.

When do you anticipate to have the truck back home Andries, or did I miss that somewhere in the post?

Cheers
Mark

Yeah it will be good to get another supplier, they also need to make a proper rear pinion. That will save some $$$, but will still be expensive.

Not sure when my truck will be home though, as it needs to go back to 4x4labs again. So many things still to do, so little time and $$$.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 03-18-2007, 09:33 PM   #10
Bala de Plata
Irregular Member

Way to one up me buddy!!

Your rig will be super freakin sweet. Cant wait to hear how you enjoy it in the trails. Gotta meet up with guys and hit the dirt.

Last edited by Bala de Plata; 03-18-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Bala de Plata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #11
Vegas Runner
Super Moderator

Andries,

Great work you are doing Andries. You know everyone is watching and waiting. I hope eveything turns out great. Once again you are leading the way!

Thanks,

Ed
Donahoes, OME 895/N142S, Conferr Rack, Hanna Sliders, Cobra 75WX CB, ARB Air, Dual Batts (24v/12v), Shrockworks Bumper, PIAA 510s & 520s, Rear Floodlights, Oil Filter Relo & Fumoto Valve, BumBuilt Skids, ATG620 Laptop & Docking Station, Kenwood D710A w/ APRS, GPS60, MM 12,000lb Hydraulic Winch, Capstan Winch, Power Steering Cooler & Filter, 1/2" RogerBrown Bodylift
Ed-KE7MWY
Vegas Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #12
bulldog
Admin

Yeah I dunno when I get my truck back. Still many things that need to be completed on it. I might just go on a short run, even with the 32s on it. It will probably start looking silly with those tires on.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 03-18-2007, 09:45 PM   #13
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Runner View Post
Andries,

Great work you are doing Andries. You know everyone is watching and waiting. I hope eveything turns out great. Once again you are leading the way!

Thanks,

Ed
Jason helped a lot by supplying a set of diffs for Sean to work on. One advantage of breaking something. At the rate we are going, we might have a lot of spares in the "family" soon.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 03-18-2007, 09:47 PM   #14
Vegas Runner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Yeah I dunno when I get my truck back. Still many things that need to be completed on it. I might just go on a short run, even with the 32s on it. It will probably start looking silly with those tires on.
Is your suspension lift and body lift enough to run 35's? Or is there some other modification you made also?
Donahoes, OME 895/N142S, Conferr Rack, Hanna Sliders, Cobra 75WX CB, ARB Air, Dual Batts (24v/12v), Shrockworks Bumper, PIAA 510s & 520s, Rear Floodlights, Oil Filter Relo & Fumoto Valve, BumBuilt Skids, ATG620 Laptop & Docking Station, Kenwood D710A w/ APRS, GPS60, MM 12,000lb Hydraulic Winch, Capstan Winch, Power Steering Cooler & Filter, 1/2" RogerBrown Bodylift
Ed-KE7MWY
Unread 03-18-2007, 10:05 PM   #15
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Runner View Post
Is your suspension lift and body lift enough to run 35's? Or is there some other modification you made also?
One day when I have 35s fitted I will start a thread on it. But it requires the body mount to be trimmed, and probably some other pieces of the inner fender well. Dunno till I have run them, but should work. BS of the wheels will also be important, but I believe the body lift and suspension lift will do it. More the body lift as the suspension is supposed to cycle anyway off road. I will have to wait a while till I will know. The rear stock bumper might also be an issue.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 03-18-2007, 10:51 PM   #16
Vegas Runner
Super Moderator

Thats what I thought just wanted to make sure I understood previous discussions
Ed-KE7MWY
Unread 03-18-2007, 11:02 PM   #17
Cruiserhead
Super Moderator

Andries you are making me jealous! dammit, hehe

the ss ARB lines are bling-bling the blue lines are not bad, people run into problems when they do bad routing and get chafing or melt from exhaust.

The only thing you have to worry about is the compressor and the square valve thingie that screws onto it(forget what it's called). Get a couple extra so if one goes bad, it's a simple fix.

man, your truck is going to be really awesome! exciting once the photos start flowing, congrats on starting the "heavy lifting"!
Cruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2007, 11:15 PM   #18
Tucson T4R
Driver

I'd probably go for the SS bling on the ARB air lines.

I agree though, its not a requirement. My son is still driving my 1990 4Runner that had an ARB air locker installed around 1994. It now has over 250,000 miles on the truck and the ARB locker and lines are still working fine. Don't ya just love quality!

2004 V8 Sport
OME Suspension Lift
Springs: OME 886/895
Shocks: OME N140S/N142S
1/2" 4Crawler Body Lift
265/70/17 BF Goodrich AT/KO
Dual batteries
Shrockworks Bumper and Sliders
Ramsey 9500 Synthetic Wireless Winch
Tucson T4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2007, 07:36 AM   #19
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Great job Andries. Look forward to hearing and seeing more.
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2007, 08:27 AM   #20
JP4Crawler
Driver

It's great to hear this thing is moving along. Congrats! I'm next in line.
I will call Sean today & start discussing what he can do for me. I can't wait to see what these things can do once they're locked up. I have high hopes.

2004 SR5 4R V8: DR CO up front, 7100 Bilstein & 30% Deaver springs rear, 1.25" 4C BL, Demello sliders, BB Skids, SW Bumper w/Ramsey winch, MagnaFlow muffler, 285/75/R16 MT MTZ's on AR Chambers, 4.56 Cryo'd gears, locked F/R ARB, AP square lower links w/custom 4XDR hangers, Herc'd lower panels. Trail tested Hammers approved.
JP4Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote