Admin

Default 4x4labs rear bumper

Some pics here
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=35
and here
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=36

Write up and lots more pics
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showt...3626#post23626

Dropped the 4Runner off at 4x4labs today again. They are doing quite a bit of work on it, but the most significant piece will be the rear bumper.

I initially requested to have a bolt on till today. Luke pulled of the rear plastic and showed me what was going on. See the pics. Obviosuly the bodylift did not help matters in regards to how far that rear crossmember is sticking out.

From this

To this

03 pavement princess
06 toaster

Last edited by bulldog; 07-26-2007 at 06:03 PM.
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2007, 11:37 PM   #2
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Hard to tell but it looks like it would be well worth welding in a new crossmember directly opposite the body mounts and then cut off the old crossmember.

That would probably give a good two to three inches off to improve dep. angle.

Do they intend to make their bumper marketable or will this be a one-off special?
04 V8 SE, RST Twin sticks, RST Taco Front Axle, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 resi coilovers, Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT. OFFROAD PARKS BLOW!
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2007, 11:48 PM   #3
Cruiserhead
Super Moderator

The nice thing is the short rear overhang (of the body). Once you cut that crossmember + 35's = great departure angle.

I think all of Luke's bumpers cut the rear crossmember so he has alot of experience with it. The rear bumper basically becomes the last crossmember.
Cruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2007, 11:53 PM   #4
bulldog
Admin

I had a long post and it got nailed.

Short version. Tehy do not weld in another corss member. Teh rear bumper bolts in adn becomes the rear crossmember. Saves wieght and improves approach angle.

The rear crossmemebr can be welded back in the future. if needs be. If you have a rear crash Toyota even sells the crossmembers seperately adn the bodyshop welds them in.

He has been doing it for sometime for the 80 series LC and some 100 series now as well.

He plans to make it available as a product, but it will be more involved than a simple bolt on. Will have to cut crossmemebr and might be required to drill a few holes. There are 4 threaded holes on each frame rail, but more might be required for strength. However he only has 1.5" bodylift dimensions and might require a non BL for non-bl folks.

Bumper will have integrated hitch, but tow capability will drop significantly. I only want to be able to tow 3k max (offroad trailer).

Also on feature list will be recovery hoops by frame rails. Dual swing out carriers for spare and 2-3 gas/water cans, hi-lift to mount be spare and diagonal for lower height. Tuck up electrical connector out of way, but accesible.

Teh stock black palstic trim below the hatch might be reused if needs be to cover some of the gap without heavy metal.

I will post up pics when they are available for release. Around end of April is the expected due date, but we shall see.

Anyhow some of his LC and 4Runenr (3d Gen work)
http://www.4x4labs.com/images/80/4x4Labs_bumper_022.jpg
http://www.4x4labs.com/images/bj70/BJ70Rbumper.jpg
http://www.4x4labs.com/images/4Runne...arRight-LG.jpg

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 04-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Cool! Will be a long month waiting to see how it all comes together.
04 V8 SE, RST Twin sticks, RST Taco Front Axle, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 resi coilovers, Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT. OFFROAD PARKS BLOW!
Unread 04-01-2007, 12:48 AM   #6
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Cool! Will be a long month waiting to see how it all comes together.
Yes it will be as I want my truck back. It has been gone since mid Feb.

Just to clarify for those reading. This bumper is probably not for the faint of heart. It will require more than just a simple bolt on, removal of the rear crossmember will probably be required. The more I think about it, the less I'm concerned, but this is not everybodies thinking.

I was thinking of a rear winch mount as well, but that would kill the hitch mount.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 04-01-2007, 01:39 AM   #7
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Your truck is going to be sick!!!

Those of us without the bank account aren't worthy!!

You suck!

No, really, you suck. But, that's a really bumper, is yours going to look similar?
And they're doing your full belly pan there too, what else?

Do you know what the breakdown on the cost of just the bumper?
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2007, 08:18 AM   #8
Dealmaker
Senior Driver

Cut that bad boy off! This will be the 2nd best 4th gen mod done yet, the first being the SW bumper.

Will you lose the factory spare location? Kinda looks like it, but no problem if you get the rear tire carrier.

Will they also do the cut & box on the front body mounts?

I'd like to get in line for the rear bumper. Keep us updated!
Unread 04-01-2007, 09:24 AM   #9
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealmaker View Post

x2 what the hell!
Unread 04-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #10
Cruiserhead
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Teh stock black palstic trim below the hatch might be reused if needs be to cover some of the gap without heavy metal.
skip that and use some alum. fireman's diamondplate. That would look great.

That uber-fragile plastic is curved both ways to match the hatch so it would look wrong anyway-imo.
Stock sucks.

Looking at your pics again, the swingout pins can actually sit recessed, just under the taillights the arm could have a slight bend in it to clear the rear hatch.
This would make the corners very short and tucked in and use all that empty space.
It would make a very clean look!

-Red is the tire carrier arm
-no ideas on the big gap yet
-swingpin tucked under taillight (dimensions are off tho)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bulldog-r.jpg (25.1 KB, 232 views)

Last edited by Cruiserhead; 04-01-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Unread 04-01-2007, 10:02 AM   #11
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Cut that bad boy off! This will be the 2nd best 4th gen mod done yet, the first being the SW bumper.

Will you lose the factory spare location? Kinda looks like it, but no problem if you get the rear tire carrier.

Will they also do the cut & box on the front body mounts?

Yes, the lower spare location will only be good for a Prius size tire once they cut it.

Yep, they are going to go to town on the front bodymounts as well, cut and box up again. I want to fit 35s, so some body trimming might be required as well. Will see how it ends up.

Lets see what the final product looks like, as I suspect it might not be to everybodies taste. OK, OK, just don't want it to get hyped up too much till we have the actual thing out. But at least there seems to be a couple of options that will be available for folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserhead View Post
skip that and use some alum. fireman's diamondplate. That would look great.

That uber-fragile plastic is curved both ways to match the hatch so it would look wrong anyway-imo.
Stock sucks.

Looking at your pics again, the swingout pins can actually sit recessed, just under the taillights the arm could have a slight bend in it to clear the rear hatch.
This would make the corners very short and tucked in and use all that empty space.
It would make a very clean look!
Good points, willl let Luke know. You should go into design with these guys man.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 04-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #12
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by my034runner View Post
Your truck is going to be sick!!!

Those of us without the bank account aren't worthy!!

You suck!

No, really, you suck. But, that's a really bumper, is yours going to look similar?
And they're doing your full belly pan there too, what else?

Do you know what the breakdown on the cost of just the bumper?

I paid off the 4Runner sometime ago, and instead of spending the money I payed on it every month, I just saved it. So the 4Runner has a little mod nest egg, that is quickly disappearing.

Yeah the rear bumper will have similar lines to the pics, however the big sides will look a bit different due to the size.

Yes it is getting full belly skids as well.

Not sure on the cost breakdown, but I expect the first one to be expensive due to all the design work going into it, future ones might be less expensive. I will discuss that with Luke once it is closer to completion. I don't think he can give an accurate estimate till much later.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 04-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #13
Cruiserhead
Super Moderator

This angle is better- if the hingepoint is tucked under the taillight, you cut off a HUGE amount of bumper usually sticking out at the corner.

Remember, when you open the hatch, there will still be some bumper under there (could be the diamondplate alloy)

I did not draw the swingarm- just the pin- for clarity. but look how TINY the rear clearance can be! Both from the rear and also the side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bulldog-rr2.jpg (28.0 KB, 238 views)
Unread 04-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #14
bulldog
Admin

I think that is the general idea, but I like the tucking. I will send to Luke to see what he says, as it needs to work out on the bottom as well for the spindle mount.

Thanks.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 04-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #15
Dealmaker
Senior Driver

would be nice in that it would break up the "humongous" look of the side portion of the bumper as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserhead View Post
This angle is better- if the hingepoint is tucked under the taillight, you cut off a HUGE amount of bumper usually sticking out at the corner.

Remember, when you open the hatch, there will still be some bumper under there (could be the diamondplate alloy)

I did not draw the swingarm- just the pin- for clarity. but look how TINY the rear clearance can be! Both from the rear and also the side.
Unread 04-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #16
jbs11
Driver

Quote:
Ditto. I'm not afraid to do some cutting. It seems shame to waste such a great chance to improve departure angle when getting a custom bumper anyway. I'd volunteer my truck for non-BL measurements, but I'm about 2 days drive away.

broc
jbs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #17
Roams001
No IFS

I can't wait! The front and rear stock bumpers are the only thing I dislike about the 4th gen 4Runner. Shrockworks front and now either CBI or 4x4labs rear...awesome!

I'd prefer not to cut, but if the bolt-on rear bumper is so big that it makes my truck look like it is wearing diapers...then I'll cut...no biggie.
Unread 04-01-2007, 02:46 PM   #18
Redline
Driver

Wow this is good news! CBI and 4x4Labs both looking to make a rear bumper for the 4th Gen. Before you know it we might have more than two choices for the front too :-)

Great news, thanks for being the first!
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #19
AlexJet
Old Timer

Andries,
Thanks for posting pictures and some info.
Pls, keep us updated on the progress.
'09 Custom Expedition Trailer --- 35"
AlexJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2007, 07:33 PM   #20
97kurt
Administrator

Wow... Toyota did not make anything easy for you 4th gen guys...

Looking forward to see how they get everything to fit. Hopefully they can fit a hinge under each lamp and still have enough of a gap for body/frame flex.

97kurt is offline   Reply With Quote