Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 09-30-2009, 09:58 PM   #41
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

I covered everything below the window line including the tailgate and the floor. The pics pretty much cover it.
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
4mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 04:29 AM   #42
AlexJet
Old Timer

Chris,
An old thread, but may be you remember some details from your install.
I have tried to modify my trunk carpet past weekend and it didn't go as I planned. When you try to cut it, the wool like material in the middle of the carpet cuts very bad and shifts. So no I have carpet with mugles. I still missing a few spots I need to cover, so I decided to replace it with heavy-duty carpet overall. Because of that I'd need some sounddampening and was thinking of V-Comp. My question would be - how easy it is cutable and how clean are the cuts themselfs? From their description it's a foam with vynil, so should be better then stock wool-like material to work with.
Do you remember how was your experience with this and what did you use to cut it?
'09 Custom Expedition Trailer --- 35"
AlexJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #43
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Alex,
The V-Comp is easy to work with. I used some large scissors to cut it and it cut very cleanly. You can also use a utility knife like a box cutter with a blade and it should work.
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
4mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #44
AlexJet
Old Timer

Thanks. Ordered 3'x4.5' this afternoon.
Unread 11-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #45
riceandpho
Driver

does your seat have airbags in them? is it safe to discoonect all the plugs from the seat? i have airbags in my seat and wonder is it safe to disconnect all the plugs? i hear that the yellow plug is for the airbag and it might deploy if it got disconnected and reconnected.
Unread 11-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #46
AlexJet
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceandpho View Post
does your seat have airbags in them? is it safe to discoonect all the plugs from the seat? i have airbags in my seat and wonder is it safe to disconnect all the plugs? i hear that the yellow plug is for the airbag and it might deploy if it got disconnected and reconnected.
Yes its safe, but some precaution need to be done. Its highly recommended that you disconnect the battery before you start the project. This will insure you do not have passive current in the system. Airbags can deploy if a spark take an effect in the connector. Battery disconnection eliminates this issue.
My personal advice to ground the seat before disconnecting. When it bolted its grounded.
If you do this, you'll be safe.
Unread 11-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #47
Zaphod
Driver

I gotta do this someday.

I'd love to do the headliner, too. Damned wind noise is bad enough WITHOUT a rack.
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 01:36 AM   #48
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

I've been thinking about doing this for some time and I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy up some, probably like 130sq ft so what ever is left over I can use In my mini Cooper. Can anyone confirm the actual time it tales to remove and replace the headliner? I really need to sound proof up there with my big rack and light cage, the sound I get sucks!
the_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 01:48 AM   #49
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

Okay I placed my order, here's what I got- Order Details

Code Quantity Description Unit Price Subtotal
Prod1 2 B-Quiet Ultimate (50 sq. ft.) 119.99 239.98
Prod2 1 B-Quiet Roller 6.99 6.99
Prod3 2 B-Quiet Vcomp (13.5 sq. ft.) 64.99 129.98
Prod4 1 B-Quiet volume discount (5%) -18.85 -18.85
Prod4 1 Shipping Total 39.99 39.99
US Dollar Total 398.09

Can't wait to start!
Unread 02-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #50
mntbikr18
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_josh View Post
I've been thinking about doing this for some time and I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy up some, probably like 130sq ft so what ever is left over I can use In my mini Cooper. Can anyone confirm the actual time it tales to remove and replace the headliner? I really need to sound proof up there with my big rack and light cage, the sound I get sucks!
I didn't totally remove it. I removed a bunch of clips and what not front and back. It was still hanging on somehow around the sunroof that I didn't bother with. It sagged down enough that I could reach in and cover basically the whole thing.

Total time was like 2 hours maybe? Start to finish. It would be a bit less if you were doing it all at once since IIRC you need to remove the rear cargo panels and what not to get the headliner down. I did that area as well but did them at separate times.

No matter how much time it takes its worth it, huge diff.
mntbikr18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #51
mntbikr18
Senior Driver

Also

The roller sucks hardcore. I stopped using it very shortly after and just ran knuckles over it to press in place.
mntbikr18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #52
UnionJack
Old Timer

Quote:
Removing the headliner is time consuming but not difficult 2 ~ 3 hours, there are a lot of panels you have to remove on either the driver side or pas side and just loosen the upper panels on the other side. There is Velcro holding the liner up by the sunroof, be careful sliding your fingers in and around the sunroof there are some sharp edges, ask me how I know. Once you have it loose drop it down at a 45 degree angle and pull it out the tail gate.

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #53
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

The ups guy just dropped off all my soundproofing stuff, time to strt stripping the runner!
Unread 02-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #54
Blowout
Senior Driver

Quote:
The ups guy just dropped off all my soundproofing stuff, time to strt stripping the runner!
Hope it's in the garage... suppose to rain all weekend here.
2006 SR5 V8, DR front and rear, Camburg UCA, 17x9 ProComp 8107, 285/70/17 Procomp Xtreme M/T, SW sliders, Curt front trailer hitch, front/rear removable Smitty 8k winch, dual batteries, Baja rack, Airlift 1000, HID - high, low, fog, DIY front (disconnect) and rear (fixed) end links, LED backup, pin striped by manzanita and buck brush...
Blowout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #55
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

Got alot done today, I stripped all the panels except for the door panels and removed the headliner, it took about 2 hours total going along at a steady pace and trying to stay dry while it rained heavy. I can't fit my truck in the garage so I backed it up as close as I could. Tomorrow I'm going to clean up to prep all the metal from all the dirt and dust that managed to get behind everything. I will also clean up all the wiring. When I ran wiring for lights and such I pretty much just stuffed it all behind panels now I have the change to clean it all up and run some wire loom. Saturday I will do the soundproofing.

I'm really suprised at the lack of any stock sound deadening material there is. Literally none! The genius Toyota design made stripping all the panels very easy!
Unread 02-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #56
Bartfriend
Rookie

I did a similar project to my tundra a few years back. It was a bit easier being half the space but still a lot of work.

I used Fatmat that i bought off of ebay. Here is their website

My advice:

1. try to install on a warm day. It allows the material to be much more flexible and it is easier to push it in to all of the contours of the floor/wheel wells.

2.have a good razor knife with a few extra blades.

3. get a case of beer

-b
Bartfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 10:13 PM   #57
mikey
Tip Toe over the rock...

This is on my list of to dos but is far down the road, probably about the time I start doing stereo mods.

Josh can we get some photo documentation? I know my runner is different but will give me an idea of the complexity. I think I will do my headliner too.
Unread 02-18-2011, 01:52 AM   #58
SPS4runner
Rookie

Josh, I recommend cleaning everything well before applying it. I used denatured alcohol (not for the drinking part though!).

Mikey, If he can't get pictures, I have several from my install (showing the areas I did) if that would help.
Unread 02-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #59
the_josh
East Bay Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS4runner View Post
Josh, I recommend cleaning everything well before applying it. I used denatured alcohol (not for the drinking part though!).

Mikey, If he can't get pictures, I have several from my install (showing the areas I did) if that would help.
Thanks for the tip!

And for sure I will get some pics
Unread 02-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #60
Blowout
Senior Driver

Gotta do this as well at some point... so I ordered the sampler from B-quiet to see what the different materials are like. only $2.

2006 SR5 V8, DR front and rear, Camburg UCA, 17x9 ProComp 8107, 285/70/17 Procomp Xtreme M/T, SW sliders, Curt front trailer hitch, front/rear removable Smitty 8k winch, dual batteries, Baja rack, Airlift 1000, HID - high, low, fog, DIY front (disconnect) and rear (fixed) end links, LED backup, pin striped by manzanita and buck brush...
Blowout is offline   Reply With Quote