Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Off Topic Area > Forum Suggestions & Announcements

Unread 07-16-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
bulldog
Admin

Exclamation Time to move on??

It seems that the site has very low usage lately and most regulars have moved on. Toyota120 was originally created for more tech and offroad content for the new 120 platform back in 2005, when no regular forum sites had a specific section for the new platform. Since then it seems it is now well served on regular sites like IH8MUD, TTORA, etc.

Similarly it seems most trips planning and gatherings are also hosted by other sites (including Robert's favorite Facebook ).

What do you guys think? Time to archive the site and move to another place?
If so what do you suggest??

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

I still visit daily, and I am one of the few to have never had a facebook account. I also don't wheel just for the sake of wheeling anymore, but I use 4WD to get me where I want to go almost every weekend.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #3
chayos00
Desert SW Roamer

Nooooo........ I'm also a regular checker of the site for new things, and am always sad that this place doesn't have the traffic it once did! I've never been on the sites you mentioned. T4R.org became too bloated with newbs who wouldn't search for their answers first. FB is all about, what tire size can I fit with my spacer lift? But I do understand the lack of traffic to this site and how it's probably costing more to maintain a ghost town.
"I'm an AMERICAN by birth and a VETERAN by choice!"
chayos00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #4
05sport4x4
Driver

I check in at least 5 days a week and as Mike says do not have Facebook or the other social media accounts. It has been a while since there has been much activity on here and I understand there is a cost to keeping the site up. I would really hate to see the tech info here disappear. Also much of the earlier trip reports are worth going back to from time to time.

05 4Runner Sport V6 - Goodyear SA 275/70/17, Donahoe Adj C/O', Custom rear colis, Radflo rear shocks, Hanna sliders
89 Extra Cab 4x4 Pickup, 22re, 31x10.5 w/4.56's & ARB in rear
05sport4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2018, 11:53 PM   #5
drewm
Driver

The low site turnout might just be because the entire forum is set to "Private" when you aren't logged in. With no results in search engines no wonder there's a lack of new members and posts
Unread 07-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #6
bulldog
Admin

drewm, need to check that again. Set a few things a while back due to spam.
Edit: Changed the settings again so not logged in users can see threads and posts again.

FYI for everyone, the site specifically doesn't have any ads and as such was never aimed as a revenue generation effort. It does cost some hosting fees, which is not too much, but also time to admin and deal with occasional spam, etc. Since traffic seem to have been extremely low I was wondering if it was worthwhile to keep things going, and thus trying to sense the use (if any).

03 pavement princess
06 toaster

Last edited by bulldog; 07-17-2018 at 12:45 PM.
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2018, 08:06 AM   #7
chayos00
Desert SW Roamer

Well, due to you talking about shutting this site down. I ran a program that attempts to clone a website. Well about 6-7GB later I have a copy of this site. I've had other forums shut down that had TONS of good info and the internet archives can't quite get it right after I try to recover some of that data. This time I'm not getting blindsided! LOL
Unread 07-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #8
Darklight
Old Timer

Andries, get a 5th gen and keep the site alive!!@!

Such is life always subject to change. We have a decent group still supported on this forum and a plethora of info that has been extermely useful to all that visit. None the less keep the air alive guys! Plenty more builds to come and tech talk too!
So everyone get out, adventure and report back.

Bobby
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Total Chaos Race series 2" plus kit, King 700 lbs LT coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #9
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

A short discussion then a vote from me...

There is now a proliferation of social media sites. I belong to about six of them ranging from SoCalHamOffroaders, TacomaBeast, SoCal4Runners, 4RunnersForLife blah blah blah.

The sad part about most of these sites is they are not searchable so people new dont know about forums and ask really lame questions like what is the compartment (here) for and "Hey, I found a secret compartment (in the glovebox) (GOOD GRIEF)!

I think in time the offerings of the 120 forum can become relevant again as people new discover they can learn more technical stuff, much quicker, om 120, than T4R. That notwithstanding, I now spend the majority of my browsing time on T4R.com because there are some good product reviews and lots of retailers selling all sorts of stuff that never use to be available for our trucks way back when we first started out with new 4th gens. As an example - how many bumper manufacturers are there nowadays???? Many!

I would still vote to keep this forum up. I think there's a few of us with some exciting stuff around the corner (shhhh) which will generate interest and stimulate more travel planning as well.

It just needs a new ingestion of enthusiasm by a small grp to start the ball rolling again...I hope!
04 V8 SE, RST Twin sticks, RST Taco Front Axle, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 resi coilovers, Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT. OFFROAD PARKS BLOW!
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Don't you Dare take this site down mate!!!!!!!! I only have this, and TTORA, but this is always my #1 place to go!!

If you need some $$$ from us to keep it going, I'm sure we can all pitch in!!! I also do Not have anything to do with FB, have never been on there and have no reason to be. There is too much info here, and where else would we post up our trips! Maybe we need to get another big trip planned out where many can and will attend.
It's almost time for the Mojave Road again, as I miss being out there. Because we went to Death Valley for Easter this year (First time in over 20 + years I haven't been in the Mojave for Easer).
Need to market better I'm guessing, maybe change to 150 so more 5th gen and 3rd gen Tacoma owners will come aboard. And, those who do use the whole FB thing, can actually post up about our little part of the Internet and educate people about what we do and have done here. Half the shlt that is available for the 5th gens......would have never been possible without this site, and us guinea pigs!!

Plus, we've all made a lot of friends here, we have very low bad or misbehaved people on here compared to some of the other sites. This site is superior to all of the other Toyota 4x4 forums out there for our vehicles.

And our leader needs to man up and get himself another proper Toyota/Lexus 4x4 and get back into the flow.......married life shouldn't stop you from doing what you love to do!! Just slow you down a little.

So, My vote is to keep this going and figure it out!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and I'll hopefully see some or in a perfect world, All of you blokes for our 12th or 13th Toy120 Mojave Road trip...........coming soon!!!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2018, 04:26 PM   #11
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Off topic a bit...

Robert - the one reason for the social media apps - there’s tons of trips every month to attend. I think you’ll find you don’t get much response to your trips because social media is where all the group trips are being planned. I started a thread on T4R.com about making a group local to me (Ventura County). We got a dozen guys after a few weeks to our first meetup. Not because of my post per se, but someone created a social media group that drew the attention of people in this area. Forums aren’t working the same way they used too.

Off topic more....

I went to a Toyota event recently. I went to support Wyatt at Rock Solid Toys. It was hosted by a dude from the East coast calling himself TacomaBeast. It’s a social media money making adventure for him. He travels the country going to OFFROAD trails and events selling....T-shirts, stickers, lanyards etc.! The event was held at Eibach and they provided a tour of the facilities every hour ALL DAY to I’m guessing a 1000 or so people in attendance. And guess what, of the 30-40 vendors there more than half were selling non parts example patches to stick on your headliner, t-shirts blah blah. It was sad to see. Almost nothing in the way of suspension, tires, hilifts, recovery gear... it was weird. It was quite the event tho I must say. Lots of rigs! Like 100’s! Many with just bolt on **** but never off-roader - just look at the undercarriage for proof or not, of OFFROAD adventure lol.
04 V8 SE, RST Twin sticks, RST Taco Front Axle, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 resi coilovers, Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT. OFFROAD PARKS BLOW!

Last edited by expat; 07-24-2018 at 04:37 PM.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #12
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Robert - the one reason for the social media apps - thereís tons of trips every month to attend. I think youíll find you donít get much response to your trips because social media is where all the group trips are being planned. I started a thread on T4R.com about making a group local to me (Ventura County). We got a dozen guys after a few weeks to our first meetup. Not because of my post per se, but someone created a social media group that drew the attention of people in this area. Forums arenít working the same way they used too.
I'm fine with others using their FB to spread the word! I just haven't seen the need for it, but there is still a need for a forum like this with the wealth of info and very cool people. I feel the whole FB brings about the wrong element, and seeing all of the BS going on with FB and whatnot..........still no need to take what we've built down!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
Unread 07-29-2018, 01:03 PM   #13
Trik444
Driver

More than anything, I would just like to say thank you for the wealth of knowledge this site has provided since I joined back in 2005. And even though I now have a 5th gen, I always find myself logging back onto Toyota120 rather than one of the other many sites because I feel like there has always been a lot more interesting threads packed full of experience.....and not as many "what color should I plastidip my wheel" type of questions.

But I guess everything evolves. Whatever decision is made, thank you for everything.
Current: 2017 TRD Off-Road Premium - Magnetic Grey: 295/70/17 Toyo Open Country MT's - Radflo 2.5 front coilovers and rear shocks - 17" SCS F5 wheels - Light Racing UCA's, Metal Tech adjustable rear lower arms - Body Mount Chop - Spidertrax

Totaled (RIP): 2005 Sport Edition 4x4
Trik444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #14
chayos00
Desert SW Roamer

It seems like there's been a bit more lift in the last week or so since the site doesn't force you to log in to see everything. Fingers crossed for more activity!
Unread 07-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #15
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trik444 View Post
More than anything, I would just like to say thank you for the wealth of knowledge this site has provided since I joined back in 2005. And even though I now have a 5th gen, I always find myself logging back onto Toyota120 rather than one of the other many sites because I feel like there has always been a lot more interesting threads packed full of experience.....and not as many "what color should I plastidip my wheel" type of questions.

But I guess everything evolves. Whatever decision is made, thank you for everything.
Even as the name refers to the original 120 platform, there is plenty info here on the almost identical 150.........so refer all of your friends with 150 platforms to come play with us, we don't care at all about plastic drip whatever.......

We went wheeling down to the river yesterday, All Toyota's of different generations and platforms......First, second and third gen Tacoma's 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th gen 4Runner's........they all know about this site. I even told someone in another Toyota not with us (bobbed 1st gen Tacoma) about Toy120!!

It takes a Village people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!