Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 02-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
A10MileHusker
Unlocked

Default GPS Units: What are you using?

So I'm currently getting some things ready for the summer trips and one of my thoughts that came to mind was my GPS unit.

I am using an old (8 years old) Garmin Nuvi 265W GPS unit and have been looking at upgrading that. Ive updated the maps but that is still only very basic on road mapping. When I look at Garmin's website I only see these DriveLuxe, DriveAssist, etc models.

I want to get something a little better with off road topo maps. I heard about the Delorme inReach which has now been acquired by Garmin.

What are you guys running for GPS? I would like to get the best of both with GPS on road and off road but I understand if that's not a possibility.

Appreciate the feedback in advance!

Doug
Kramer 2005 Sport, OW 2.5" CO's, 1.5" RB BL, 3.5" AllPro Rear Springs with Icon Long Travel 2.0, Camburg UCAs, Hanna Quality Sliders, 35x12.50/17 Toyo MT, K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44, Perkins Bumper, Baja Rack, Smittybilt XRC8, Yukon 4.88 Front and Rear, Custom Rear Bumper, Extended Rear End Links
Upcoming Mods:
A10MileHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #2
java230
Old Timer

I use google maps for on road, and back country navigator for off road.

IMO you really cant get both in one unit. I really like BCN, it takes a little getting used to the menu system and whatnot, but its really great.

Its not really navigation, but you download TOPO maps and it provides your gps position on them. It will record tracks, or you can upload GPX tracks into it to follow.
Unread 02-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
A10MileHusker
Unlocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by java230 View Post
I use google maps for on road, and back country navigator for off road.

IMO you really cant get both in one unit. I really like BCN, it takes a little getting used to the menu system and whatnot, but its really great.

Its not really navigation, but you download TOPO maps and it provides your gps position on them. It will record tracks, or you can upload GPX tracks into it to follow.
Thanks man! I ended up getting a Garmin 64ST. I have a friend who uses it and said it would do everything I was looking for. I will mainly use it for Topo with long drives and hiking and use the Nuvi for on road navigation but the 64st also provides road maps.

Thinking this will be a nice unit.

Kramer 2005 Sport, OW 2.5" CO's, 1.5" RB BL, 3.5" AllPro Rear Springs with Icon Long Travel 2.0, Camburg UCAs, Hanna Quality Sliders, 35x12.50/17 Toyo MT, K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44, Perkins Bumper, Baja Rack, Smittybilt XRC8, Yukon 4.88 Front and Rear, Custom Rear Bumper, Extended Rear End Links
Upcoming Mods:
A10MileHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2017, 07:52 AM   #4
matt16
Rookie

I'm using an Android tablet with Backroads Navigator. The integrated GPS is better than my Garmin eTrex and can typically tell which side of a two land road you're on.

The advantages to a tablet-based GPS are:
  • bigger screen
  • ease of use
  • variety of GPS apps to choose from
  • easy to choose good base maps and upload tracks
  • useful for other applications, its just a normal Samsung tablet
  • inexpensive compared to designated GPS units of similar capability

Disadvantages:
  • may be slightly less durable, but you could buy a case (durability is a non-issue for a vehicle-mounted GPS)
  • it could be argued that the GPS satellite acquisition isn't as quick, but in my experiences using it the last few months in mountainous coastal terrain, it does just fine and seldom is off by more than 3 m

I'm able to plot tracks on Google Earth, upload them to my tablet, and follow these track with the GPS app.

Last edited by matt16; 02-12-2017 at 07:54 AM.
matt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2017, 07:54 AM   #5
matt16
Rookie

double post
Unread 02-12-2017, 07:55 AM   #6
matt16
Rookie

I'm using an Android tablet with BackCountry Navigator. The integrated GPS is better than my Garmin eTrex and can typically tell which side of a two land road you're on.

The advantages to a tablet-based GPS are:
  • bigger screen
  • ease of use
  • variety of GPS apps to choose from
  • easy to choose good base maps and upload tracks
  • useful for other applications, its just a normal Samsung tablet
  • inexpensive compared to designated GPS units of similar capability

Disadvantages:
  • may be slightly less durable, but you could buy a case (durability is a non-issue for a vehicle-mounted GPS)
  • it could be argued that the GPS satellite acquisition isn't as quick, but in my experiences using it the last few months in mountainous coastal terrain, it does just fine and seldom is off by more than 3 m

I'm able to plot tracks on Google Earth, upload them to my tablet, and follow these track with the GPS app.