Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > GX470

Unread 04-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
BonnerBB
Driver

Default BonnerBB's Lifted GX470

I am starting my GX build from the ground up... Actually, I am buying the GX specifically to build it up. So does anyone know if any of the below guys are around for me to consult with?

B-

[b]**************UPDATE***************
I am built now and here is the my GX as it sits... I jacked up my photobucket account so there are alot of broken images on this build thread. To see all my images check out the album named BonnerBB over at www.TheLiftedLexus.com.

LEXWOODY

I have read Lexwoody's build.
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4266

LEXWOODY AGAIN...

NormlDan's rig.
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19793

Recent picture of NormlDan's rig.

Read about fdfs01's rig over at Club Lexus... His screen name over at IH8MUD is the Overachiever
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-f...lifted-gx.html

Dan Kunz over at Ih8tmud
http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-t...003-gx470.html

TxGX over at Overland
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/67034-The-Time-Has-Come-My-GX-buil

LTD GX over at Ih8mud
http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-t...ct-ltd-gx.html

Not sure who this is...Yet...

SouthernSS over at IH8mud.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-t...ld-thread.html

And of course the infamous Trailex
http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbu...ion/index.html

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120715_110824.jpg (487.3 KB, 1762 views)
File Type: jpg 20120729_181845.jpg (415.6 KB, 1747 views)
File Type: jpg 20120804_161307.jpg (487.6 KB, 1745 views)

Last edited by BonnerBB; 12-12-2013 at 09:13 AM.
BonnerBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
UnionJack
Old Timer

I am sure Woody would help Send him a PM to test the waters.

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
BonnerBB
Driver

Space Holder

Last edited by BonnerBB; 06-22-2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Changed to Reference
Unread 04-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
BonnerBB
Driver

So my official first question is, "Are there anymore people with lifted GX's?"
Unread 04-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
Lexwoody
Senior Driver

Welcome to the GX club.

1. Did you buy a GX yet? If not. A few things to consider.

A. Some late 2004's and up comes with the KDSS option. I pretty sure you can still lift it with KDSS. But if you want Long or Mid travel. KDSS will not work with Long or Mid travel front lower control arms.

B. BudBuilt complete skids for the 2003 and up 4Runner will fit the GX. The front skid will not fit with KDSS.

C. The Prado ARB Bumper fit with triming of the flender.

D. Try to talk with the guys over at Overland Warehouse for a full suspension kit. You might beat me with being to first GX with their suspension kit.

Note: Keep in mind that if you research, ask question and use the 03+ Prado, 4Runner and 07+ Fj. You should be fine.

PradoPoint is a good site too!

Last edited by Lexwoody; 04-20-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Lexwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
Photog
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnerBB View Post
So my official first question is, "Are there anymore people with lifted GX's?"
Welcome to Toyota120.

I don't know of anyone else around here.

PradoPoint forum will have the folks in OZ, that have modified their rigs for overland travel. The Prado and GX are almost the same vehicle.
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.

Last edited by Photog; 04-20-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
BonnerBB
Driver

Woody,

I have not purchased my GX yet... I have just started looking and there are ALOT of nice low mileage used ones out there. I just don't want to pull the trigger until I decide KDSS or not.

I was shooting for an 05' with more horses but there is sometimes like a $10k price difference between the 04 and 05 with the same miles and optioins... Surely not because of the extra ponies alone??? I was trying to stay around $18-20k so I don't feel too bad about wheeling it.

You mentioned lower control arms but not upper's. Can you change out the upper control arms with KDSS?

Who makes upper and/or lower control arms for this truck. I don't recall any of you guys doing this.

Why has nobody done the lift like they did on Trailex?? It seems simple!
http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbu.../photo_10.html

Thanks for the other resources.. I already knew about the ARB Prado bumper from your build.

I will contact the Overland guys as you suggested. I did not see the GX listed anywhere on their site but I assume this is similar to what you had in mind. http://stores.overlandwarehouse.com/...kit/Detail.bok

Thanks for your help!

B-

Last edited by BonnerBB; 04-20-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Unread 04-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
Lexwoody
Senior Driver

Quote:
Woody,

I have not purchased my GX yet... I have just started looking and there are ALOT of nice low mileage used ones out there. I just don't want to pull the trigger until I decide KDSS or not.

I was shooting for an 05' with more horses but there is sometimes like a $10 price difference between the 04 and 05 with the same miles and optioins... Surely not because of the extra ponies alone??? I was trying to stay around $18-20k so I don't feel too bad about wheeling it.

You mentioned lower control arms but not upper's. Can you change out the upper control arms with KDSS?

Who makes upper and/or lower control arms for this truck. I don't recall any of you guys doing this.

Why has nobody done the lift like they did on Trailex?? It seems simple!

Thanks for the other resources.. I already knew about the ARB Prado bumper from your build.

I will contact the Overland guys as you suggested. I did not see the GX listed anywhere on their site but I assume this is similar to what you had in mind. http://stores.overlandwarehouse.com/...kit/Detail.bok

Thanks for your help!

B-
Any upper control arms from the 4Runner or Fj will fit the GX. The three suspensions are the same execpt for the GX's rear axle because of the air bags. You can fit almost all front coilovers, rear springs (w/ brackets made), and shocks that the made for the 4Runner or Fj. Keep in mind that the GX is a little heavier than the other two. So get springs that can carry the weight of your rig, mods, and gear.

You can get a lot of information of different suspension setups in the suspension and tires section.

The Trail Lex was built when there wasn't any aftermaket support out there. There isn't alot of built up GX out there to go off of. So you have to go off the three 120 chassis: Prado, 4Runner, and Fj.

Last edited by Lexwoody; 04-20-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Unread 04-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
BonnerBB
Driver

I have a little experience under my belt in case you are wondering...

Current Tow Rig
2006 QX56 - PRG 2.5" lift - 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers

Current Trail Rig
1992 Pathfinder - 3" BL - 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers - HooHaa Centerlink - Idler Arm Brace - Sliders

This is my first trail rig may she RIP...
1997 4runner - Camberg UCA - SAWs in front - OEM in the rear

Last edited by BonnerBB; 04-20-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Unread 04-20-2010, 10:38 PM   #10
BonnerBB
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexwoody View Post
Any upper control arms from the 4Runner or Fj will fit the GX. The three suspensions are the same execpt for the GX's rear axle because of the air bags. You can fit almost all front coilovers, rear springs (w/ brackets made), and shocks that the made for the 4Runner or Fj. Keep in mind that the GX is a little heavier than the other two. So get springs that can carry the weight of your rig, mods, and gear.
Awesome info! Thanks!!

So you missed this one question of mine.
Quote:
Why has nobody done the lift like they did on Trailex??
Unread 04-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #11
Lexwoody
Senior Driver

There is no need to do a lift like the Trail Lex when suspension upgrades are available. You can do a 1.25 preload spacer lift and adjust the rear height, but you going to end up wanting more.
Unread 04-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
BonnerBB
Driver

I guess it wouldn't be a good idea for the Lexus sponsored TrailLex to be gutted of it's suspension now would it. A aftermarket suspension isn't what got it 4 wheel drive of the year now did it.

The commentary on the picture linked below says, "Here is our 3-inch front lift kit. The stock Lexus front coilover shocks feature adjustable damping and are easily up to controlling 33-inch tires. Stock tires measure 30.5. The bottom mounting eye is part of a 2-inch-long, 5/8-inch-diameter shaft that extends to the shock body. We simply cut the shaft in two, did some careful measuring, and then machined a 21/4-inch spacer which press fit into the two stubs. We then welded the assembly into a solid piece and voila!, 3 inches of lift at the axle hub. The rear lift is already built in with the GX470's air-ride rear suspension, which, on its "high" setting, lifts the vehicle 3 inches. With our 3-inch front lift, the rig sits level and fits 33s with no problem."

Commentary came from this picture.

I would think 3 inches like they did is ample. Woody, how much lift do you think you have after putting in OME's Coils?

FYI - I left a message for Overland warehouse so I will let you know what they say.

Last edited by BonnerBB; 04-21-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Unread 04-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
Photog
Old Timer

The front shocks control the total droop of the front suspension, and that controls the CV angles.

With the stock shocks, the droop reaches very close to maximum CV angles. With the tire in contact and under power, the CV will hold up to most situations.

If the suspension is allowed to droop another 2" at the shock, the CV's will easily pass their safe working angles. The shock stroke has not changed, just the initial and extended lengths of the shock has changed.

On top of all that, the factory shock and springs were provided by the lowest bidder. The aftermarket springs/shocks easily surpass the factory equipment.
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Unread 04-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #14
BonnerBB
Driver

Regardless of whether I try to modify like Trailex or do a coil over swap it would be in the best interest of the rig to change out the Upper control arms.

This is what I had in mind given that what Woody says is true and that any 07+ FJ parts will work on the front suspension.
http://www.camburg.com/?p=474

What upper control arm are you running Woody? If any?
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #15
Lexwoody
Senior Driver

I have the stock upper on. I want the light racing.
Unread 04-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #16
BonnerBB
Driver

Woodie - do you get any rubbing of your UCA and the inner side of your tire?

That is why I changed the UCA on my 97 4runner.
Unread 04-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #17
Photog
Old Timer

The 255's don't rub the UCA.

But there is a better reason to get UCA's. As the suspension is lifted, the caster is reduced far enough to make the steering unstable. Even after alignment, the caster ans camber are at their very minimum setings (if they can even be brought in that far). The aftermarket UCA's have more caster built in to the geometry, allowing for proper alignment settings, and a stable steering vehicle.

A secondary benefit is more clearance for wider tires. I use Spidertrax spacers with stock wheels, and had no trouble with 275's & 285's rubbing the stock UCA's. The stock wheel and Spidertrax provides an offset cloase to zero. An aftermarket wheel with a zero offset will do the same thing.

Woody,
Your rig is getting better and better. Nice ride.

Unread 04-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #18
BonnerBB
Driver

Quote:
Woodie - do you get any rubbing of your UCA and the inner side of your tire?

That is why I changed the UCA on my 97 4runner.
It's not the only reason..
Unread 04-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #19
medic83
Solid Axle Beast

Just get an FJ or 4th gen 4runner.... more rugged and for the fj, wayyy more options for aftermarket products. Just something to think about. The GX just seems too pretty to get dirty with all that wood grain and leather. If I had to do it again, I would have started with the FJ because there is so much stuff for em. I am very happy with my truck now, but I still love the FJ's.... thats why the is getting one. Im just really curious why you would choose the GX to purchase as a build. It seems that like most people that bought a 2wd vehicle, they bought the gx and then got the offroad bug and were stuck with what they got. My is that the GX is a much too pretty vehicle to buy as a purpose trail rig and begining build.... You already tow a trail rig... I would rather ride in the lex as THE TOW vehicle. Just too pretty and not very capable IMO... Yes, it is the 120 platform, but again... my
Unread 04-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #20
Lexwoody
Senior Driver

Thanks Photog.

Medic, The GX is nice, but not too nice to show the 4Runner and Fj that their rich little brother get dirty too. . How is that 2wd working out.

BonnerBB, If you want a GX. Get one. There is nothing you do to the 4Runner that you can't do to the GX.

Last edited by Lexwoody; 04-22-2010 at 12:32 PM.