Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf

Unread 09-12-2021, 02:04 PM   #1
Dealmaker
Senior Driver

Default The slippery road of front end repairs

I’m considering replacing my LCAs (bushings worn out) and front axles (torn boot), and I need new front pads. At this point, pretty much the entirety of my front end will be disassembled. My UCA’s and COs are newer (2019) Icon so nothing needed there. (Yes, I know I can replace the LCA bushings and reboot the axles and save some $ but not really interested in that at this time as IMO I'd rather spend the extra $ up front and hopefully not have to touch the front suspension again for years).

It's a 2004 with 114k mostly soft miles on it. I'm thinking with the measly mileage I'm putting on it, if I do all the above then I likely would not have to touch anything on the front end (don't jinx me re steering rack please) for maybe 4-5 years (new front pads). Sure, the calipers could go out, but that's pretty easy to replace.

So at this point, what else should I consider covering if pretty much my entire front end will be taken apart? Axle seals at diff and hub? Wheel bearings? Anything else I missed?

TIA
'06 4Runner 2WD SE V8, for the boy

Last edited by Dealmaker; 09-12-2021 at 02:10 PM.
Dealmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2021, 09:34 AM   #2
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Any time the axles come off I replace the seals. For sure do wheel bearings, this was the guy but seems like he's overloaded at the moment: https://store10082095.ecwid.com/?own...yRedirect=true.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 BFG ATs on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2021, 09:32 AM   #3
bulldog
Admin

Check all bushings and boots while you are there. Outer tie rod boots, swaybar bushings. It has 17 years of service. I second Mike's suggestion to replace seals and bearings as well - seals on both diff and hub side.

And yes it is a good idea to replace the complete part - LCA as the lower ball joint is a key element of the front suspension. Same with tie rods, CV axles, etc. I would normally vote for OEM parts unless you can find a known good quality aftermarket part.

That is if you plan to keep it for another 10 years.

Easiest is always to take the license plates and replace the part in between

2019 Low Rider
2021 Poser
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2021, 05:20 PM   #4
Dealmaker
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
Any time the axles come off I replace the seals. For sure do wheel bearings, this was the guy but seems like he's overloaded at the moment: https://store10082095.ecwid.com/?own...yRedirect=true.
Yup, looks like he's closed up shop for now. I'll probably go with this guy, who has OEM options https://bluepitbearings.com/products...aring-assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Check all bushings and boots while you are there. Outer tie rod boots, swaybar bushings. It has 17 years of service. I second Mike's suggestion to replace seals and bearings as well - seals on both diff and hub side.

And yes it is a good idea to replace the complete part - LCA as the lower ball joint is a key element of the front suspension. Same with tie rods, CV axles, etc. I would normally vote for OEM parts unless you can find a known good quality aftermarket part.

That is if you plan to keep it for another 10 years.

Easiest is always to take the license plates and replace the part in between
I didn't think about the tierods but I did swap out the front sway bar links a year or two ago. Now that I'm looking at close to $2.5k in parts alone, from McGeorge Toyota, who's usually one of the lowest online part places, I'm liking the "replace everything between the plates" idea more. I'm hoping to DIY all this with occasional help from a neighbor. At least I won't have to rush it and can do it in the garage over the course of several days.
'06 4Runner 2WD SE V8, for the boy
Dealmaker is offline   Reply With Quote