Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 08-04-2015, 12:34 AM   #1
retco
Driver

Default Which replacement head unit?

To replace my jbl synthesis head unit ....I've got both a PIONEER FH-X720BT witch is a direct fit being a double unit....or a SONY MEX-N4000BT...?? I basically want voice activated....blutooth...I know the Sony has NFC....I USE AN ANDROID S5...LOOKS like Sony has a bit more power 55 x 4...pioneer 50 x 4...pioneer does offer 200,000 color changes...don't really care...will be replacing few other things as far as speakers and what not.
SO WHICH HEAD UNIT....
THANKS GUYS
retco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

I would go with the Pioneer, mostly because it's a double DIN. I've never liked moving down to a single DIN from a double, I think it looks funky. Also, I just personally like Pioneer better than Sony, I feel like they're a more reputable brand. Other than that, they have very similar features.

As far as voice activated... I don't know of many head units that offer that. The pioneer should work with your phone's bluetooth just fine though. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by this.

You have the factory upgraded JBL system, correct? (The 10-speaker setup with subwoofer in the back). If you do, you'll want to either put in an entire new amp and speakers, or just use an adapter to tap into the existing amp (you can also upgrade the speakers with this option). The existing amp doesn't send a ton of power out so you can't get too crazy upgrading the speakers, but you CAN do a simple upgrade on them that will sound much better, and will be a lot simpler than upgrading to a new amp. Once you start going the way of a new amp, it gets very confusing and pricey very fast. Unless you want to go all out, I recommend just using the adapter and getting simple replacement speakers, you'll still be very happy with that.

TLDR: Use the Pioneer with an adapter to tap into your existing JBL amp. You can either leave the stock speakers or upgrade them later

I forgot to add that if you have steering wheel controls, you'll need a separate adapter to keep those working. I think mine was about 35 bucks

Last edited by Jeffy; 08-04-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2015, 02:49 AM   #3
retco
Driver

Thanks Jeffy,
Don't guess their is any way to make the 4" kickers fit in the way back....I believe they are 3 1/2 factory.....the driver side is making a popping sound....
So ultimately replace head unit with the pioneer , what else...sub. ...door speakers...
Witch u may have already mentioned
..thanks for your help
Unread 08-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by retco View Post
Thanks Jeffy,
Don't guess their is any way to make the 4" kickers fit in the way back....I believe they are 3 1/2 factory.....the driver side is making a popping sound....
So ultimately replace head unit with the pioneer , what else...sub. ...door speakers...
Witch u may have already mentioned
..thanks for your help
There's always a way!
I fit 3.5" rockford fosgate tweeters in there. There isn't much to the bracket holding them in back there, and you have quite a bit of room to work with. With any speaker other than stock, you're probably gonna have to spend some time with a grinder or even cut the bracket in half (you'll see what I mean, it's a half-moon shape that doesn't fit much until you modify it) I had to grind mine away in the middle to almost nothing to get my speakers to fit, but it's a pretty heavy-duty bracket and plenty strong enough for a little speaker. Just take some measurements of the mounting holes on your speaker, and see how they'll fit on the brackets. Most speakers actually have a downloadable pdf file or such that shows the exact fitment diagram you can cut out and test before you even buy them. They're definitely worth replacing, here's what mine looked like after 12 years:

Whatever else you want to replace is up to you! Here's a link to a simple sub replacement:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...subwoofer.html
Here's what I did with my sub, but I went all out and it's much more complicated this way:

Here's a motivational picture of my stereo install for you to enjoy. Yours should be much simpler
Unread 08-06-2015, 11:02 PM   #5
Sledgehammer
Wanderer

Jeffy, when you told me you took all of your interior out to do your stereo install I guess you really meant it!! How many plastic clips did you break? How many "spare parts" did you have left over? Probably didn't need all those bolts anyway...
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
Jeffy, when you told me you took all of your interior out to do your stereo install I guess you really meant it!! How many plastic clips did you break? How many "spare parts" did you have left over? Probably didn't need all those bolts anyway...
I only broke a handful of clips (maybe 5 or 6). I never replaced them, everything still holds together just fine with no squeaking or such, so I'm happy. I had a few odds and ends left but nothing I was concerned about, it was mostly from all the stuff I had torn out (and left out).
If you take your time and go slow, you should be fine!
Unread 08-09-2015, 01:16 AM   #7
retco
Driver

holy $h!t Jeffy
Unread 08-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
Darklight
Old Timer

I am stuck in a bit of a pandoras box at the moment. Wife surprised me with a new headunit that was awesome. Only problem was it only had a 2volt preamp outputs. I used a crux wire harness to connect to existing factory everything, steering wheel and amp. Install was easy but the sound was not as loud as stock. Not even close. I found out I needed at least a 3-4 volt preamp output to get good sound. I ended up getting a different headunit with 5 volt preamp output Kenwood dnx692. Everything is much better now aside from a loud pop I am getting from the factory amp signal. I tried trouble shooting everything from relocating ground to testing power. If I wire a separate speaker directly to the headunit it does not pop. In short the factory amp is going bad or on it's way out or just does not like the new headunit or me. I think it is all of the above

Now i am looking at replacing the factory amp and door speakers with all JL audio speakers. TR600 CXI and TR650 CXI. Just on the fence about the 5 factory tweets.

Looking at swapping the front tweeters and rear pillar ones with JL C2-350 a 3.5" 2 way speaker. I plan on running the rear pillar ones directly off the head as well as the front door tweeters. Wired directly off the head unit.

Using the factory wire diagram I plan on tapping into the factory amp wiring at the amp and running them into the new amp for the door speakers. Looking at using an alpine powerpak universal with 45 rms to handle the doors.

In the end I think everything will sound great but it has been a pandoras box for sure.

Bobby
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Total Chaos Race series 2" plus kit, King 700 lbs LT coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build

Last edited by Darklight; 08-17-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2015, 04:15 AM   #9
LuisaChang
Rookie

What did you do?))
Poor baby
LuisaChang is offline   Reply With Quote