Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 01-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #21
riceandpho
Driver

i use regular led for the screen and hp on all the buttons, maybe u can give the led shaft a small file to make it fit, if you are using the hp leds in the screen, its not going to work unless you change the resistor out. if the pins on the plug is making no contact, bnd it a lil with a flat head and plug it back in. if u can take everything apart and show me some pics of how the led it sitting on the board i can help u a lil.
Unread 01-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #22
SeanCeltiad
Driver

Ok, I'll have to get to it on Sunday and will take pics. The pins all feel solid if I gently move them and I thought maybe I should take the back off too so I can confirm that, I'm also wondering about if the leds are making contact or not, the bulbs leads were pretty set down into the grooves and it did occur to me that I might have to file down the lock section on leds for a better fit. But before I do any of that 1st I'm gonna try just touching the base of led, not put it in just hold it with the base bottom touching,led tip facing me not into the hole to make sure if the connection stays lit, then if that doesn't work will just have to take it apart w pics for you and anybody else. What I'm need to know is when you say change the resistor out-where is the resistor located ? That's the one thing that gets me is they do light up and will stay lit until I push the harness connector all the way in or if I keep real still and just touch the connector to the pins on the back, if it were a resistor problem wouldn't it just go out right away ? Anyway that's just me, so R&P, I Thank you for all you help and info and will get back to you asap-have to shop tomorrow but will try on Sunday. Sean
SeanCeltiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 03:55 AM   #23
riceandpho
Driver

on the neo4 leds, if you are using the hp ones, the resistor is built inside the shaft of those leds, im telling you to just use the regular leds till you get it working, i have tried the hp leds in the lcd screen and it was fail until i found that you must change the resistor to work, i just use the regular on on the lcd screen, i think u should do that for now. i know that if its only one hp in the screen it would come on a lil, but with two it wont, regular led neo 4 on the screen for now, but the rest you can use the neo3 hp ones.
Unread 01-28-2012, 04:05 AM   #24
riceandpho
Driver

ok, heres the led list, 3mm size for the indicators on the hvac arrows, get like 20 incase u mess up, must desolder and resolder for swap, get like 6-8 neo3 hp for the back ground lighting, get like 4 neo4 regular leds, unless you know how to change the resistors in the hp version, glove box and gear shifter uses a 74 led , you can get the ones with 3 hp smd leds on it, its the same size leds for the cluster if you want to make your own with resistors and such, cluster uses about 20 or so leds, but i just get twice incase you mess up and have spares. for the cluster work i suggest finding someone with good solder skills, on the tailgate window switch it uses neo3 like the haz, on the haz just use a white hp led so it be a lil brighter, on the window switch, its going to light up the window but not the arrows, must use something brighter or leave it stock if it bothers you. rest of the switches uses neo3, but all the leds i have tried, they are too long and wont let you press the button, leave it stock tho.
Unread 01-31-2012, 05:21 AM   #25
riceandpho
Driver

Unread 01-31-2012, 05:23 AM   #26
riceandpho
Driver

Unread 02-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #27
SeanCeltiad
Driver

Default Display LEDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceandpho View Post
on the neo4 leds, if you are using the hp ones, the resistor is built inside the shaft of those leds, im telling you to just use the regular leds till you get it working, i have tried the hp leds in the lcd screen and it was fail until i found that you must change the resistor to work, i just use the regular on on the lcd screen, i think u should do that for now. i know that if its only one hp in the screen it would come on a lil, but with two it wont, regular led neo 4 on the screen for now, but the rest you can use the neo3 hp ones.
Hey R&P, Thank you, sorry it took me so long to get what you were saying, just ordered the reg ones in a few different colors to see what I like best. Luckily SuperBrightLEDS is very ok with returns for these bulbs. Like your Dash gauges in blue !!! Maybe I'll try it some day or find/pay someone who can do it for me. Jealous Jealous Jealous-Thanks for posting all your pics, and I can finally stop trying to figure out why the display would not light
Unread 02-04-2012, 01:40 AM   #28
SeanCeltiad
Driver

Also forgot to ask if you know does the gear shifter on my '03 take the 74 bulbs ? And do you know how to get to the cup holders lights ?
Unread 02-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #29
riceandpho
Driver

lift up the armrest cover on the center console, then lift the trim ring with the dac switch and 12volt outlet, disconnect the plugs and set the trim aside, its like working on a 3 -4 th gen on removal stereo. after that, u can unscrew the shift knob , then on the gear selector u can see it just a trim, like a cover and u just pop it out, clean the trim before u put it back in, u can see the light bulb right there, i think its near like 3rd gear. on cup holders, i havent change that, but i think its beter if u try to get some surface mount leds, the 5050 smd led that already have the wires solder, tap into the wires on the original connector and tape the led on the illuminating clear plastic part on the back, its much more brighter, just like the dome and map light. but to get to the cupholder light, that small trim peice right on top of the cup holder, u can pop it off.
Unread 02-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #30
HOJeepster
Driver

Looks sick but what's up with that gigantic mirror?
Unread 02-05-2012, 02:12 AM   #31
riceandpho
Driver

its a broadway 400mm size rear view mirror, i can see the whole back window, so i dont need to turn my head. it helps if u guys want to try it. 300mm might be a lil to small, 360mm is smaller, but i perfer the 400mm.
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #32
SeanCeltiad
Driver

Quote:
lift up the armrest cover on the center console, then lift the trim ring with the dac switch and 12volt outlet, disconnect the plugs and set the trim aside, its like working on a 3 -4 th gen on removal stereo. after that, u can unscrew the shift knob , then on the gear selector u can see it just a trim, like a cover and u just pop it out, clean the trim before u put it back in, u can see the light bulb right there, i think its near like 3rd gear. on cup holders, i havent change that, but i think its beter if u try to get some surface mount leds, the 5050 smd led that already have the wires solder, tap into the wires on the original connector and tape the led on the illuminating clear plastic part on the back, its much more brighter, just like the dome and map light. but to get to the cupholder light, that small trim peice right on top of the cup holder, u can pop it off.
Great ! Thanks R&P, my leds arrive tomorrow for the a/c and then will get to the gear ones ordered.
Sean
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #33
SeanCeltiad
Driver

Default Wired in the HP LED'S for LCD

Hey R&P, Thank you for the info, sorry it took me so long to reply with pics hopefully. Had to have the HP led's for the LCD screen, the reg ones just were not bright enough during the day and too dark at night so I found an unused fuse socket and bought one of those add a fuse connector with the wire lead and just crimped on a wire with one of those tab type disconnects at other end and unwound the leads on the HP led till they were both straight and would not make contact with the circuit board when screwed in and soldered both pos+ & neg- led leads to sep paired wires with enough wire to allow for any future removal of the A/C console and used an aligator clip for the neg wires & attached it to the metal support behind the console and attached the other tab to the paired pos wires and plugged them up and check out the pics. The ones that aren't glared out are how it looks at night and the day ones don't quite show how blue the screen really is but I'm way satisfied with it ! The soldering went well, may just do the instrument panel next.
Enjoy everyone and sorry I forgot to take before pics, but trust me, way better with the HP'S ! Can't figure out how to post pics at full size, but clicking on pics should enlarge them.
Sean

Last edited by SeanCeltiad; 01-25-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Unread 02-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #34
riceandpho
Driver

maybe ill tap into the lower lights that light up the defrost and recirculate. that should give me the power to use the hp lights again.
Unread 02-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #35
SeanCeltiad
Driver

Yeah, I was just wanting to avoid possibly screwing up the circuit board since it does control all the hvac, I tried just hooking up the pos+ separately with the neg- wire still contacting the board but it still wouldn't light it that way either so I just went for the least amount of rewiring it without having to splice into the cars wiring harness. But it's great, I did the route today and could see it all at a glance.
Thanks for your help R&P !
SeanCeltiad
Unread 03-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #36
JDeMello
Driver

Does anyone in the SoCal area on this forum offer this as a side job? I might be interested in it for my 4runner. I had my FJC done by a FJC member and he did a good job and it only took him a couple hours.

Thanks for your guys help, even if I decide to do it my self this thread is very helpful!
JDeMello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #37
SeanCeltiad
Driver

Quote:
Ancient answer on this one.
I finally replaced the cupholder bulb with this
74 T5 Wedge Based Bulb
Item# 74-PCB-Base-Goldstar-Matrix-6led-5630 (2-E3-x-x): Amber
1010: 74 (T5) PCB Base
got them from autolumination.com because they have brighter ones than sbl, all I had to do was file the edges a little so it would fit the hole and used some electrical tape on each side of the base that weren't the contacts so that it would stay in, their bulbs are slightly different than sbl but I bought a couple different ones just in case, that 74 circuit board was a bit too wide but the neo 3's were fine although I had to file the edges for the DAC, Diff lock switches but even sbl ones needed that. It's mainly due to autolumination is using 5630 chips and the put them not just on top but on each lower side so it lights up anything you put them in all around not just straight forward which makes a nice difference in spreading the light to all the buttons indicators. It's the 5630's on top that makes you have to file but only for the switches, not the 4WD or the rear window switch tho. Couldn't use their 5630 neo 4's for the LCD screen only because it's longer due to those chips but they have another -
tem# 5630 1X Goldstar Color: Blue
Lens: Type B (T4) Neowedge
that's a standard fit and even that is brighter than sbl. Their pages on the site are kinda off in that they have one page that lists a separate details page for the neos and the 74's that lists the measurements but the other page for same bulbs just shows the bulbs with no link to the details so here's those -
http://www.autolumination.com/instru...2721_wedge.htm
http://www.autolumination.com/instru..._led_bulbs.htm
http://www.autolumination.com/194.htm last one is for 194, 168, in case anyone wants to replace their side marker bulbs, some bulbs of different sizes are covered in that one will be a direct replacement for a few just make sure you measure how much room you have.
Even their other bulbs use better brighter leds if the 5630's won't fit and they have all the tail, turn, brake bulbs too even incandescent neo's if you want those.
Most likely no one will read this and I should just post with before and after pics and I will.
Have fun!