Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf

Unread 06-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
GenPuller
Rookie

Default 4th Gen 4Runner with a GX Transfer Case

Hello everyone. Let me introduce myself, my name is Brandon and I live in Southern California. I've owned and loved my 2003 4Runner since it was new. I've driven many different cars, trucks, and SUVs in my life and the 4Runner is the best. Unfortunately when I moved from Washington state to SoCal I convinced myself I didn't need 4 wheel drive. Big mistake.

I've been waiting for the 5th Gen to come out before I replaced my 2x4 with a 4x4 - 80 Series LC or 4Runner. The 5th Gen is great but for the money it's not worth it. I figure I'll save $20K and buy a 2008 4Runner SR5 V8 and add some of my own modifications making it my own.

What I did like about the 5th Gen is the manual shift lever. It has the sense of nostalgia with Land Cruiser. Three questions:

1. Has anyone had any problems with the push button transfer case in their 4th Gen 4Runner?

2. Doesn't the GX470 and the V8 4th Gen share the same transfer case?

3. If so. Does anyone know what it would take to replace the push button with the manual lever?

Thank you for all your time. I look forward to working with all of you. If anyone has any insight they would like to share in regards to what year and/or equipment options I should consider I welcome your feedback.

Brandon
GenPuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
daPitbull
Senior Driver

Get a 4th gen and swap in an Inchworm or Marlin tcase and you'll have your tcase levers, 2 sticks or 3. Oh and welcome.
daPitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
GenPuller
Rookie

@daPitbull - Are you saying that unless I intend to make a full time off-road masterpiece of my new 4Runner to be I should allocate my resources to more meaningful projects? Including chopping the roof and creating some sort of SUV/Truck hybrid?
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
bulldog
Admin

1. There have been a few that developed leaks on the transfer case, it is very expensive to fix due to the breakdown to replace the seals. Mine have been good, touch wood.

2. The base transfer case is the same, but the 4Runner uses a solenoid for 4H and 4L where the GX has the lever and a N as well. The V6 4Runner has a 2Wd option that is not on the V8 or GX.

3. Teh shift mechanism will need to replaced, and also a few electronic gadgets fitted.

Not sure why you are asking if you are looking at a new 4x4 4Runner anyway. Bottom line is that it is really not worth it unless you get a Inchworm or Marlin transfer case with gear driven adn lower gear ratio for 4L, or even twinsticks.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
AWSUMDC
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPuller View Post
@daPitbull - Are you saying that unless I intend to make a full time off-road masterpiece of my new 4Runner to be I should allocate my resources to more meaningful projects? Including chopping the roof and creating some sort of SUV/Truck hybrid?
No, what he's saying is that there is a whole lot more to just switching t-case's with these newer trucks. They all have computer systems that ALL depend upon each other. You can't just switch t-caes's and expect everything to work. To put a lexus t-case into the 4runner, you have to also get ALL the computers to talk to each other. The 4runner is a very advanced machine and the lexus is light years ahead of the 4runner.

I'm helping Croz'shawk with his t-case swap just to get the lights off on his dash board and it's a night mare.

Croz's Marlin Crawler Lefty Swap.

So.... with all of that said, you would be better off keeping your 4runner, do a solid axle swap on it and put in a Marlin lefty.

But hey, thats just my two cents.
My Build
AWSUMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #6
GenPuller
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPitbull View Post
Get a 4th gen and swap in an Inchworm or Marlin tcase and you'll have your tcase levers, 2 sticks or 3. Oh and welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
1. There have been a few that developed leaks on the transfer case, it is very expensive to fix due to the breakdown to replace the seals. Mine have been good, touch wood.

2. The base transfer case is the same, but the 4Runner uses a solenoid for 4H and 4L where the GX has the lever and a N as well. The V6 4Runner has a 2Wd option that is not on the V8 or GX.

3. Teh shift mechanism will need to replaced, and also a few electronic gadgets fitted.

Not sure why you are asking if you are looking at a new 4x4 4Runner anyway. Bottom line is that it is really not worth it unless you get a Inchworm or Marlin transfer case with gear driven adn lower gear ratio for 4L, or even twinsticks.
@bulldog - Thank you. The manual T-Case would be more for aesthetics and a sense of ruggedness and nostalgia.

I've just been going around in circles about what to replace my current 4Runner with, everything from 80 series Land Cruiser, to Tacoma. But I'm just going to stick with what I know is best, the 4th Gen 4Runner. It's going to be my DD so when it comes to the build I won't be going crazy like an Inchworm or Marlin T-case.
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
GenPuller
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSUMDC View Post
No, what he's saying is that there is a whole lot more to just switching t-case's with these newer trucks. They all have computer systems that ALL depend upon each other. You can't just switch t-caes's and expect everything to work. To put a lexus t-case into the 4runner, you have to also get ALL the computers to talk to each other. The 4runner is a very advanced machine and the lexus is light years ahead of the 4runner.

I'm helping Croz'shawk with his t-case swap just to get the lights off on his dash board and it's a night mare.

Croz's Marlin Crawler Lefty Swap.

So.... with all of that said, you would be better off keeping your 4runner, do a solid axle swap on it and put in a Marlin lefty.

But hey, thats just my two cents.
@AWSUMDC - These are computer controlled complex machines. For some reason I thought all one would have to do is disconnect the push button, add a lever and go play in the dirt. Ignorance is bliss.

I saw your Tacoma. Impressive. If I had the resources there would be a full time off-road machine in my garage. Until then I need to make sure the same rig that provides the off-road memories can also get me to work Monday morning.
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
AWSUMDC
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPuller View Post
@AWSUMDC - These are computer controlled complex machines. For some reason I thought all one would have to do is disconnect the push button, add a lever and go play in the dirt. Ignorance is bliss.

I saw your Tacoma. Impressive. If I had the resources there would be a full time off-road machine in my garage. Until then I need to make sure the same rig that provides the off-road memories can also get me to work Monday morning.
Thank you . Mine is now my daily driver going 126 mils each day to and from work as my 2008 F250 decide to puke it's turbo. If it's built right it can do all things well.

Oh yeah, I'm in Huntington Beach as well
My Build

Last edited by AWSUMDC; 06-15-2010 at 07:49 PM.
AWSUMDC is offline   Reply With Quote