Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Meet, Trail Runs, Expeditions and Land Use > Meeting, Trail run and Expedition reporting

Unread 03-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Default Utah 2008 Rescue (resolved)

************************************************** **********************************
EDIT by bulldog:
I changed this thread to the real time rescue thread. They will have to start a new thread to post the trip report and lots of pics.

Mark is back at camp and all looks good for the major part.

Thx for all who supported (even justthrough kind words).
************************************************** **********************************
04 V8 SE, RST Twin sticks, RST Taco Front Axle, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 resi coilovers, Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT. OFFROAD PARKS BLOW!

Last edited by expat; 03-31-2008 at 10:24 PM. Reason: New thread needed for trip report.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 02:09 AM   #2
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Right on!!! Post lots of pictures!!!
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
fearghal
Rookie

really excited to see pics - planning a similar trip in late may..
fearghal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Mark is currently broken @ Moab. Andries and I are trying to get him parts to fix it and get back to his vacation.

I know we have a few members in Utah, if you are reading this, they need your help!!!!!!!!
Deepdown, and I know there's someone else up there, please PM me, and I'll get you Mark, Joyce, and John's cell phone numbers!!!
Mark is broken on a hill!!! We need an address to ship parts to, as well as someone that can physically make their way up to were they are to help!!!

The problem is that Marks differential support bracket #2 (the same one that Ed and I broke) broke, and then marks passenger side CV axle snapped as well. Oh yeah, and as I mentioned.....he's ON A HILL FAR AWAY FROM CAMP!!!!
WHAT THEY NEED IS 1: AN ADDRESS THAT ANDRIES AND I CAN OVERNIGHT PARTS TO.
2: SOMEONE THAT WOULD BE ABLE TO ACTUALLY GO TO WHERE THEY ARE TO GIVE THEM A BIT OF A HAND.

ANY HELP THAT YOU ALL CAN PROVIDE WOULD BE GREAT!!!!!!
TOYOTA OFF ROADERS, LETS ALL GET TOGETHER AND HELP!!!!!!!

Will keep everyone posted.
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...

Last edited by bulldog; 03-27-2008 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Removed cell numbers
Unread 03-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
bulldog
Admin

Yeah parts would help as it seems we will only be able to get stuff out to them by Thursday and then we don't even know how late they will get it.

Robert you might want to take down the cell numbers as folks can PM as for it.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
Jared
Driver

I'm directing some folks over here, can you give more details on location!

Thanks,
Jared
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
bulldog
Admin

My understanding is that Mark is on Fins and Things and John/Lilly/Joyce are camping at a campground somewhere close to the start of the trail. I could be wrong though.

I guess I should say Moab area

03 pavement princess
06 toaster

Last edited by bulldog; 03-25-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Unread 03-25-2008, 09:09 PM   #8
toyota alec
Rookie

Mark has HAM radio right that could help someone in the area find him. His call sign is W6XPT so if anyone helping him has HAM thats his callsign!

Last edited by toyota alec; 03-25-2008 at 09:12 PM. Reason: adding info
toyota alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #9
FJCcrawler
Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota alec View Post
Mark has HAM radio right that could help someone in the area find him. His call sign is W6XPT so if anyone helping him has HAM thats his callsign!
I'm pretty sure that they tried that already, right now what they need is some PARTS TO FIX HIS TRUCK!!!!!! ...and fast!

07 FJC
01 4runner
Chris
FJCcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #10
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
My understanding is that Mark is on Fins and Things and John/Lilly/Joyce are camping at a campground somewhere close to the start of the trail. I could be wrong though.

I guess I should say Moab area

No, you're right, they're camping in their campsite, and Mark is staying with his truck in a precarious spot. Joyce told me that they really couldn't winch him off of the spot, and then her phone dropped the call.
Hope he has a good view at least!!
Unread 03-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #11
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJCcrawler View Post
I'm pretty sure that they tried that already, right now what they need is some PARTS TO FIX HIS TRUCK!!!!!! ...and fast!

We're sending him parts.
Unread 03-25-2008, 10:41 PM   #12
FJCcrawler
Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by my034runner View Post
We're sending him parts.
AWESOME!!!

07 FJC
01 4runner
Chris
FJCcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #13
bulldog
Admin

Since Jared linked to this thread it will stay the way as is, but once things are sorted it will be cleaned up and posts moved to a new thread under off topic.

BTW Robert I think it will be best to delete the cell numbers and folks that can help should PM either one of us.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 03-25-2008, 11:06 PM   #14
Chris Tacoma
Driver

Can someone give a quick update ?
Unread 03-25-2008, 11:14 PM   #15
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tacoma View Post
Can someone give a quick update ?
Not much of an update, the earliest Robert and I can get parts out to them is by Thursday so if anyone is close with the parts needed it will help a lot. I will ship out the CV axle tomorrow morning and Robert will ship the diff bracket later in the day. Even then the CV axle shipping will be very expensive due to weight.

We unfortunately missed the afternoon cutoff for overnight today, as we didn't have a shipping addy (campsite 2 by the tree don't work so well )

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 03-25-2008, 11:20 PM   #16
Chris Tacoma
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Not much of an update, the earliest Robert and I can get parts out to them is by Thursday so if anyone is close with the parts needed it will help a lot. I will ship out the CV axle tomorrow morning and Robert will ship the diff bracket later in the day. Even then the CV axle shipping will be very expensive due to weight.

We unfortunately missed the afternoon cutoff for overnight today, as we didn't have a shipping addy (campsite 2 by the tree don't work so well )
Ok thanks for the update
Unread 03-26-2008, 06:09 AM   #17
AlexJet
Old Timer

I hope he is fine and will fix his truck soon. I have CV in my garage, but unfortunatelly I'm way to far to get there by the time you guys will ship the parts.
'09 Custom Expedition Trailer --- 35"
AlexJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2008, 08:55 AM   #18
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Wellllll here we are. John and I are currently sitting inside his truck opposite a Super6 motel for WiFi.

Yesterday I left my diff lock on and turned toio tight and snapped the bracket but did nit notice it. Then climbing a rock wall the diff obviously moved and popped the CV joint. I think it might not be broken as I can see in the daylight now. Anyhow, the diff smacked the oil pan and caused a big dent and also a leak. I've sealed this yesterday with cold weld. Joyce is currently doing some more JP Weld over that and another crack we found this am.

John and I are going to pick upsome supplied now and then head back to the truck. Not much esle to do but wait until the parts arrive. They should get here Thursday, and Joyce has done this job before so hopefully we can get the stuff done on the top of the slick rock and then descend back into town.

Thanks so much for everyones help to date. In case any cell messages didn't make it, please get all parts off by Overnight today by 5pm. I'm sure Robert and Andries have that under control.

Anyone in Utah who knows how to reinstal the axle might like to help out we are located by follwoing these directions

Park entrance, Main camp by baby lionsback, 1.5 miles to trailhead, follow Fins and Things trail (left) and I'm up on a slickrock at about .25miles.

Thanks all.

Cheers
Mark
04 V8 SE, RST Twin sticks, RST Taco Front Axle, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 resi coilovers, Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT. OFFROAD PARKS BLOW!
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #19
Teotwaki
Adventurer

Damn. I am on travel up in Washington right now and will be in Denver tomorrow. Guess I can only read as it happens.....
HQ sliders, OW Suspension, LT265/75/R16C Duratracs, rear diff. breather, ScanGauge II, Garmin 276C, Engel 45 fridge, All-Pro LCAs, TC A-Arm Skids, dual batteries, Downey skid plate, Cyclone pre-filter, ARB Compressor & Rear Locker!! Offroad Trailer
Photos http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1237
Teotwaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #20
97kurt
Administrator

If you can find a good HAM channel/repeater/IRLP node in that area then let me know. I've done CVs on 4th gen before and I can walk you through it. I just hope one of you have a socket big enough to get hub nut off.

My cell is: 702-510-7607

Save your broken diff support.
97kurt is offline   Reply With Quote