Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Outfitting

Unread 04-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Crozhawk
PRO ROCK 60s

Default Crozfab "bolt-on" rear bumper

I got a call from the laser cutter and I have a good idea of what my costs are going to be. I'd like to know how many people would be interested in a bolt on version of the rear bumper. It is going to be based on the one below, the primary visible difference will be the bottom of the rear piece will be about an inch higher for a better departure angle. It will basically hug the bottom of the frame's crossmember. The swing out design will also be slightly different but I will be building one that can support atleast a 35" tire.

I've seen the quality of the work and all the pieces will be laser cut and CNC bent so I'm confident the final product will be even nicer than the first one I built.

If I don't get 5 people that want one, I'm going to only continue with a new model that requires cutting the rear crossmember.

The very first one I have them put together will be quite a bit more expensive than the subsequent ones so If your interested in this model, please let me know so I can decide whether or not to drop the $$$ on the initial prototype.

I'm estimating the initial price to be between $1700-$1800 (plus shipping) depending on accessories (swingouts, tire carrier, hi-lift mount, etc.)

I should be able to do a DIY kit for the main bumper pieces only (not including any swingouts, etc.) for around $950.

Please remember I'm just a dude with a garage and some really good fabrication tools. I'm not a shop. However, most of you have seen my truck and know my commitment to getting it to not only function properly, but to look right doing it.

let me know if you want one.
thanks.

Solid Axle Conversion
Crozhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
Quint
Right coast Runner

I am definitely interested, not sure about if I would want a diy or completed, any idea on completion time?
2005 sport - OW 2.5 - Budbuilt skids- BFG MT km2 285/70/17- FJ wheels - Shrockworks sliders- T.C. LCA and rear link skids - wabfab rear swaybar links- all pro ultimate lower links - magnaflow exhaust- k&n intake- Total Chaos uca & panhard - dual batteries - Perkins bumper - Smitty XRC8 - ARB CKMA12 onboard air - 2.5 gal. viair tank - 4.56 gears and rear ARB
Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
Rockdawg84
Driver

I would be very interested. thx
98 SR5 supercharged 5speed build to come soon
03 SR5 V8, 4x4, belongs to the wife but will still get tall
Rockdawg84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
Net4n6
Driver

Is that including powder coating and gas can carrier? Do we need to cut the factory bumper piece too?

Last edited by Net4n6; 04-13-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Net4n6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
A10MileHusker
Unlocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Net4n6 View Post
Is that including powder coating and gas can carrier? Do we need to cut the factory bumper piece too?
Subscribed! I too would like to know the deal with the original bumper part.

Great looking bumper!
A10MileHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
Offroader5
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crozhawk View Post
I'm estimating the initial price to be between $1700-$1800 (plus shipping) depending on accessories (swingouts, tire carrier, hi-lift mount, etc.)

I should be able to do a DIY kit for the main bumper pieces only (not including any swingouts, etc.) for around $950.
So, would the DIY kit have the notches on the flank pieces where the swing pivot and latch go...or is the DIY version more suited for someone that does not want swings at all...which would mean no notches?

I may be interested in the DIY....but I'm also not against cutting my crossmember if it's going to suck the bumper up nice and tight. The "crossmember cut version" is still a bolt-on affair isn't it...just not considered a bolt on for a stock Runner?
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
shuly
Senior Driver

Last edited by shuly; 05-26-2012 at 10:10 PM.
shuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
darkie3495
Driver

I'm definitely interested. curious to see what changes you're making to the swing out. Are you considering a double shear or is it the locking mechanism?
Unread 04-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuly View Post
That is a thing of beauty....I want one but I can't afford one right now.
me too
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
java230
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
me too
Me three.
Unread 04-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
Crozhawk
PRO ROCK 60s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
I am definitely interested, not sure about if I would want a diy or completed, any idea on completion time?
from the time I order the pieces from the laser cutter, he estimated he could deliver to me in about 2 weeks.... a little longer if i order multiple ones. I would want a month or two to realistically get it complete and ship from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Net4n6 View Post
once I see the prototype, I'll price out everything including options. Right now, yes, you'd need to cut the rear bumper piece. I think that gives the BEST over all look. THat said, I'm still working on a solution for another option if guys don't want to take that on. ...it's really not hard though, you just tape it off where you need to cut and use some heavy duty scissors or shears (or a dremel followed by a block sander).

If I can make pieces that take up that void, you'd need to take them to a body shop or paint shop and match your paint color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
So, would the DIY kit have the notches on the flank pieces where the swing pivot and latch go...or is the DIY version more suited for someone that does not want swings at all...which would mean no notches?

I may be interested in the DIY....but I'm also not against cutting my crossmember if it's going to suck the bumper up nice and tight. The "crossmember cut version" is still a bolt-on affair isn't it...just not considered a bolt on for a stock Runner?
the DIY i described wouldn't have notches cut out, however, I could probably help with that.

yes, the other version will still bolt on ...just after cutting the xmember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkie3495 View Post
I'm definitely interested. curious to see what changes you're making to the swing out. Are you considering a double shear or is it the locking mechanism?
hard to describe, I'll post up what I end up with. The latching mechanism and hinge are very important to get right.

Solid Axle Conversion
Unread 04-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #12
MysticZ
4wd Twin Stick Newbie

I would be interested in a full bumper with carrier and all the goodies pced.

RST www.rocksolidtoys.com IFS 4WD Conversion Done..
MysticZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 02:00 AM   #13
jaq1013
Rookie

definately interested too
Unread 04-14-2011, 04:44 AM   #14
Crozhawk
PRO ROCK 60s

it's starting to look like there might be enough interest to push on with this model. I have to be in Sacramento on Sunday and then I'll be back by mid week to talk with the laser cutters and hash out the final details. I should have a prototype done in a week or two after and then I hope to be taking the first few orders.

I have a powdercoater local and I'll need more input on what type of accessories are wanted. For now I'm looking at keeping available accessories to:

fuel can holder (based on Scepter cans)
hi-lift mount
adjustable tire carrier
antenna mounts

FYI, because I'm not yet incorporated and so forth, anyone purchasing one will have to sign a release of liability. I'm not a big company with deep pockets!

Solid Axle Conversion
Unread 04-14-2011, 05:56 AM   #15
phishtaco
Driver

Best looking 4th Gen bumper out there. I don't have the money for one but one small suggestion. On the 03-05 models with the reflecters built into the factory bumper....Do you know if the height of your OEM bumper cut with be above these or equal to the height of these reflector cutouts? Does this make any sense? That is where I would want to cut mine, right at the top of the reflector cutout.
Unread 04-14-2011, 06:11 AM   #16
Crozhawk
PRO ROCK 60s

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishtaco View Post
Best looking 4th Gen bumper out there. I don't have the money for one but one small suggestion. On the 03-05 models with the reflecters built into the factory bumper....Do you know if the height of your OEM bumper cut with be above these or equal to the height of these reflector cutouts? Does this make any sense? That is where I would want to cut mine, right at the top of the reflector cutout.
post up a photo of what you're talking about plz

Solid Axle Conversion
Unread 04-14-2011, 06:16 AM   #17
Quint
Right coast Runner

I believe he is talking about the red lenses on the corners of the bumper.

2005 sport - OW 2.5 - Budbuilt skids- BFG MT km2 285/70/17- FJ wheels - Shrockworks sliders- T.C. LCA and rear link skids - wabfab rear swaybar links- all pro ultimate lower links - magnaflow exhaust- k&n intake- Total Chaos uca & panhard - dual batteries - Perkins bumper - Smitty XRC8 - ARB CKMA12 onboard air - 2.5 gal. viair tank - 4.56 gears and rear ARB
Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #18
Offroader5
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crozhawk View Post
it's starting to look like there might be enough interest to push on with this model. I have to be in Sacramento on Sunday and then I'll be back by mid week to talk with the laser cutters and hash out the final details. I should have a prototype done in a week or two after and then I hope to be taking the first few orders.
I'm still undecided as to which version I'd be more interested in (crossmember cut or no cut). I know you discussed the cutting of the crossmember a bit in your build thread, but in reality, how much more clearance is the modification going to net vs. the direct bolt on version?

I was all but completely decided that making my own was the way to go after seeing the rear bumpers (and pricing) for those already available for the 4th gen...but this bumper in the DIY version coming in ~$950 range is tempting. The DIY is a turn on for me since I don't know yet whether I even want a swing. I have fab skill/tools, so adding the swing later wouldn't be a big deal for me. One of the things that I loved about this bumper was the sides using the OEM piece to tie it all into the rear...looks way cleaner than the panels that go all the way up from the bumper.

I'll just hang around in anticipation to see what you come up with for the proto
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #19
phishtaco
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
I believe he is talking about the red lenses on the corners of the bumper.

ding ding ding, thanks for posting.
Unread 04-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #20
daPitbull
Senior Driver

Right on Dave, you got skills man.
daPitbull is offline   Reply With Quote