Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Gallery > Gallery

Unread 10-25-2016, 07:20 AM   #1
bahndrvr
High Tech Red Neck:)

Default bahndrvr/vandert's I wish I had more money build

So - spinup I have owned a lot of vehicles ~ 40+ used to buy and flip a lot especially when I was Air Force as extra income and well I just love working on cars/trucks/bikes This is my 5th 4Runner nd 2nd 4th Gen, now have owned the v6 and v8, Love the v8! I searched for quite a while before I found one I was happy with - 2003 v8 one owner 111k miles and timing belt was done by Toyota at 98k iirc.

Not a huge fan of the cladding but will probably plastidip - with a HPLV sprayer - in the future and think the color matched flares with the "lumps" will look pretty good, but that's a ways down the road. I have a lot planned but single income, 3 kids, and a wife that doesn't work will not help my speed at which I get this done. Planning and hoping to have this as my primary vehicle for around 10 years then will hopefully make a dedicated trail rig, plan to leave Florida and head towards the mountains again when my middle child gets out of high school, she's a freshman now.

Work Done:

Tacoma TRD OffRoad stock suspension with 2.5" spacer 6300 miles when put on- Front Coilovers with top spacer on for more droop - swaybar removed = lots of travel up front

Daystar 1.5" in rear - will get some stiffer springs for the rear soon too soft coupled with the stiffer Tacoma Progressives in the front feels off-balance

Tacoma Bilstiens modified to fit the 4Runner

Uniden CB in console Wilson magnetic antenna - opened up and tweaked the Uniden 510Pro and tuned to the Wilson 500 - will get another antenna setup soon though

Micro filter removed from airbox - had K&N when purchased

Chrome to cover up the oxidized paint on handles, and the horrible rear hatch cover - just ebay kit

LED interior lights, reverse lights, running lights

AVS in channel vent visors - previous owner

Double Din DVD Eclipse head unit - Removed

Scion double din put in for steering wheel controls, using pax toto for JBL synthesis integration - plan to swap all of it out including the JBL in next year or so 01/17

Flush Turbo welded muffler "2 chamber" welded in

Watermelon removed and 90 degree turn for tailpipe - I ride with windows down alot

Other small items I have taken care of

SPC/Light Racing upper control-arms

New CV joints - kept stockers rebuilding to use for trail spares

1.5" spacers

Used 285/70/17 BFG AT's - need new tirs soon but these got me up and gave me aggressive look I wanted on temp basis

To Do List:

Get comet mount and mount my firestick

Bodymount Chop

The 5th gen brake upgrades - Front and rear calipers, larger pads, larger rotors

Stainless brake lines

Intake changes, Snorkel and diff breather routing

Roger Brown aka 4Crawler 1 or 1.5" body lift - have ran 3 of his kits in the past, great guy, great product.

Doug Thorley headers and custom - modular Y pipe - home made using V-bands

Sliders

Magnaflow catback - after headers and pretty far down the list

Full length roof rack

Rear bumper with Tire carrier and swingout

Plastidip whole truck one color with HPLV sprayer

Vinyl the roof - will do soon

Tint

Lockers

An actual lift not spacers...

Solid axle in front eventually because I can't leave anything alone and have did 2 sas before.

Modding has kinda leveled off for a bit - started back up on my Masters and changed to MBA so on top of working full time, having 3 kids and properly being a dad, I'm short on time. I will be doing things for sure, and will sneak off for off-road time but didn't make the decision to go back to school and be serious about it till after I picked this up The good thing is at this pace, and with no breaks should have my MBA around December of 2017, and at the latest March of 2018 so putting my time in and working hard to maintain a 4.0 which I have so far! I will also be getting another cert or two in my line of work - will be able to demand a Huge increase or cherry pick my next job, which will lead to more mod's.

Some from the first few days of ownership:

LED's and running board removal

Headlight polishing

The fun mod:

Tailpipe

Yes I added chrome, this is why:

Taco suspension - added spacer before installed 6300 miles on this:

How she sits now: May 2017 on 35's

315 BFG AT KO2's (35's) - Other stuff done, 6th 4Runner

2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara - Wife's

Last edited by bahndrvr; 05-09-2017 at 10:40 AM.
bahndrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #2
bahndrvr

More spinup:

At work:

Unread 10-26-2016, 07:09 AM   #3
bahndrvr

If anyone has ever wondered about with nd without swaybars here is a couple of pics, the first is without swybar - and the reason my CV's are shot, I have spacers which effectively push the travel down I really need limit straps or Diff drop which I'm doing shortly then will take swaybar back out.

Without:

You can see in the Without I have more compression on the drivers side, and a good 2 inches of additional droop on passenger side - I also backed up a good 4-5 inches more in the pic.
This was not intentional, i just backed up till i felt the frotn tire come off the ground the put e-brake on which allowed me to roll forward a bit. Just something i discovered.

This pic is with the swaybar attached and how i'm rolling around now:

Unread 10-31-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
bahndrvr

CV's arrive today finally - but will be the weekend before I can get them in, and as a bonus - my upper balljoints are now leaking.

So starting right now - going to make a decision on upper control arms - time to do some research and while not a bad thing, pretty frustrated as I wanted tires before I had to shell out for the upper control arms:/ At least my alignment is a 6 month one so can do all the ball joints, the new CV's, do the diff drop, and then get the alignment done again for free

Plan was later to do the best of suspension and upper control arms at that time, but higher mileage...

Unread 11-01-2016, 07:27 AM   #5
bahndrvr

First CV came in but still waiting on my second, will probably order my upper control arms today or the next few as being cheap and don't wnt to pull the plug.

Decided I"m going to sell my current CB setup - The Uniden, the Lil Wil antenna and get my old favorite Cobra Nitehawk and do the glovebox mount, then where I cut up my center console just oing to hard mount my gun holster there. HAve a firestick I"m going to just get the cosmos mount for and put it on the back.

IF anyone is interested in the CB setup let me know - works pretty good but I"m planning on doing a 10 watt mod on the cobra to put me round 14 watts, and about to go for my HAM license and put a nice ham setup in the Runner as well

Unread 11-02-2016, 11:34 AM   #6
bahndrvr

Well, in addition to being an engineer and working on NASA and Cape Canaveral stuff I'm using my Post 9/11 GI bill and getting a Dual Masters - got my first payment from that yesterday so made a big purchase today.

found the SPC A arms on Amazon for 419 so got them with prime, went ahead and got a revtech diff drop, and Moog balljoints for my lower control arms, I have a call in to Advanced as I only received one of my CV's so thinking it will all come in at the same time now and will do the upper arms, the lower ball joints, the CV's and the diff drop all at the same time then take back to my alignment shop as it's a 6 month guarantee so will get it done again and be set. Also found some local spidertrax spacers all 4 for 75 and try to get them now!

If this all works out - will possibly do the Tires next, or the Bodylift and bodymount chop prior to ordering tires. Time will tell, haven't told wife yet so if you don't hear from me for a bit - that's why lol.

Unread 11-04-2016, 07:06 AM   #7
bahndrvr

Feels a little like Christmas,

Beard Brush and trimmer - wife hates it but we aren't doing well so **** it - growing a beard around 2 weeks into it now and just getting past the itchy faze
Lower Ball Joints
Wheel Spacers
Diff Drop
All arrive today

Monday the SPC arms and my cabin filter should arrive honestly will probably do Diff drop and spacers tonight in the dark - and may clean it up and dip the rims tonight as well. Found some 315/70/17's about a 2 hour drive for 65 bucks, considering trying to get them and mount them when I do the upper arms as will have spacers and I don't mind cutting;-) Will be doing the body chop soon and the 315's are worn down so probably only around 33.8-34" and would only last around 10-15k miles which would be perfect for budget issues- would probably wear out just after tax return, and if I had already clearance for 35's, may end up buying 35's when I can afford new, hmm, kinda hoping it works out and I can get over to pick them up.

Unread 11-08-2016, 08:14 AM   #8
bahndrvr

Yah, all parts are in - got home late last night but the SPC arms arrived, look great and are smaller than I had them figured in my head but heavy duty and the balljoints look GREAT! Cabin filter, and the other CV finally arrived - can't wait to get it all in but will probably get Sunday as wife has plans on Saturday.

Unread 11-14-2016, 09:22 AM   #9
bahndrvr

Long ass day yesterday:

Did the following:

Diff drop installed
SPC upper control arms installed
Moog lower ball joints installed
Front diff fluid change
Both front CV's changed
Transfer case fluid change
Oil and filter change
Installed Wheel Spacers
Greased all zirk fittings

All went fairly well but the removing of the lower ball joints - what a PITA - ended up just beating them out with 8lb sledge - super sore today from all this crap.

Set the 4.0 caster setting on the arms - and had to jack up and adjust my camber but drives extremely well -should be able to get back over to sears tomorrow for the alignment follow up - just got done around a month ago and it was a 6 month adjustment

Work computer having issues so will edit in pics

Before and After attempt at profile with the spacers:

Rest are just progress and work, hands were super dirty so didn't get as many as normal, but you get the idea

Rides SuPEr good, droop is insane with the Diff drop, no swaybar, and the SPC arms I need longer brake lines so stainless lines will come when I order bodylift and bodymount chop, tires may be after all of those, I really am leaning towards 35's, or at least a 295, 305 or 315 will beat the pinchweld when I do all the other mentioned items.

This should be it for a while though - have to work on the half sleeve more and of course - Christmas is righrt around the corner have a wife and 3 kiddos so time to focus on other things for a bit

Last edited by bahndrvr; 11-14-2016 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Adding pics
Unread 11-29-2016, 07:57 AM   #10
bahndrvr

Not a lot of feedback on this site so will update but not as regular as the T4R site, did quite a bit o stuff since last post.

Put the SPC's on at +4 but was hitting on the CV during droop and turning so moved to the +2.0 aka D setting and don't hit anymore so got an alignment, was at 3.5 and 3.6 on the 2.0 setting so can't even imagine what I was at with the 4.0 setting on the arms. Alignment is perfect now, drives like a dream.

Got my scion Pioneer radio back that I had returned for some issues so after driving for a while I think I'm going to go ahead and install it and sell my current dvd setup with the plans of way down the road going full custom sound. Will be ordering up the cables ASAP just need a reverse harness and the stock steering wheel controls from the back of the radio to plug into my existing stuff and good to go as I already have the PAC stuff for the JBL with the existing setup. Mainly doing this to try to get rid of the audible hum so will do the install if the hum still exist will then get a RF circuit thing to get rid of it via the rca jacks, just lost a lot of sound quality using them in the past.

Anyway, did some cleanup, plastidipped the rims, added chrome valve stem covers and caps as I had them from my previous BMW, and then did the heat-gun to the cladding. Freaking love the look now

Playing as well, does so damn good even with crappy tires, ATRAC is amazing:

After Dip and during heat gun:

Unread 11-29-2016, 09:35 AM   #11
Trik444
Driver

Loving this build and all of the information you are dropping into this thread! Rig looks good!
Current: 2017 TRD Off-Road Premium - Magnetic Grey: 295/70/17 Toyo Open Country MT's - Radflo 2.5 front coilovers and rear shocks - 17" SCS F5 wheels - Light Racing UCA's, Metal Tech adjustable rear lower arms - Body Mount Chop - Spidertrax

Totaled (RIP): 2005 Sport Edition 4x4
Trik444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2016, 03:43 PM   #12
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

post some pictures of the "wild" 4Runner you have/had.

Glad your enjoying the "making it mine" process.
04 V8 SE, RST Twin stick conversion, RST Tacoma Front Axle conversion, RST 4-link rear, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 37" Cooper STT Mud, SW Sliders & Bullbar, ARB Locked F&R, 4.56's, Smittybilt 10,000lb winch, Radflo 2.5 remote resi coilovers and Radflo 2.5 rear shocks, 1.5 4Crawler BL, Flowmaster, CB, 2m/70cm Ham, CO2, Lightforce, African Outback Rack, Budbuilt, FrontRunner RTT.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2016, 08:52 PM   #13
bahndrvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
post some pictures of the "wild" 4Runner you have/had.

Glad your enjoying the "making it mine" process.
I have quite a few of my last Runner the 2nd Gen but my 86 Project lost the hard drive - 17k pics including all of my two olders kids first years and my old photobucket is dead I'll dig around and see if I can find some, the last pics I had were from my build on Pirate back in 2003 timeframe Divorce ~2008, and lost hard drive really killed all my old pics

Unread 11-29-2016, 09:24 PM   #14
Wanderer
Driver

Did you send the drive to a data recovery service? I know that is $$$ but usually they can get most of your stuff back unless it was a major head crash.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #15
bahndrvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Did you send the drive to a data recovery service? I know that is $$$ but usually they can get most of your stuff back unless it was a major head crash.
I wish - I'm a systems engineer - when I say drive crashed I mean the following: had information backed up on two drives - 1st drive didn't make it with all my other household goods I sent back from Germany while military = German happy with new TB hard drive, this was 2008 so was an expensive ass drive at the time.

2nd Copy of the photo's and valuable stuff I had not yet replicated it yet to a second devise and it was crushed during a move from one house to another, plotter was damaged and no recovering - that's the issue with moving, the friends who help don't realize a 75lb floor jack does not go on top of a table when there are valuables underneath the table that the floor jack is going ot roll off of....

THEN, the computer that had 60% of the remaining photo's was lost due to extreme virus issue as I let my daughter ~ 9 at the time use it for games. Lesson learned, and a lot of valuable pictures lost I'm still getting some physical copies of items from time to time from my Ex-wife but for the most part, a lot of memories lost. Now I use photobucket and ironmountain for backups, relatively cheap

Unread 11-30-2016, 06:20 PM   #16
Wanderer
Driver

What an unfortunate chain of events. I guess you have to work doubly hard now to make lots of good new memories.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #17
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

I was robbed when I was in college and lost 95% of everything I owned, including all 10 or so of my photo albums (this was before the digital camera age), so I fully appreciate what it is to lose all those pictures.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #18
bahndrvr

No shave November

Going to keep it and keep going for a while, with the nature of my job and all my military background have actually been nervous about growing one, but they seem to love it so going to continue.

Busy day at work, but stopped to grab a few of the Delta setup we have going up soon

Reminds me though I did loose some pics of Columbia mission and the pic's I took when we were "gathering" the parts to reassemble for the inspection, then of the shrine/entombment and sealing of the wreckage on Kennedy:/ Some more memories gone on those drives

Unread 12-13-2016, 11:25 AM   #19
bahndrvr

Not normally a big used tire guy, but I couldn't decide between 315's and the trouble, or 285's. Well I got 4 2014 week 44 BFG AT KO's for 50 bucks with 5/32's and 6/32s for 50 bucks.

I guess I will be running 285's while I pick out the size I want. Hope to get mounted in the next few days, just not sure where or when lol.

Unread 12-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #20
WillRunner05
Old Timer

Looks good so far!
WillRunner05 is offline   Reply With Quote