Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf

Unread 03-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
speicte
Rookie

Default Skid plates to save catalytic converter?

I have a 2003 V8 4Runner with the three cats, two upper and the one lower. With the rash of catalytic converters being stolen, I am thinking of how to protect mine. I am considering getting full skid plates underneath to kill two birds with one stone. There is a device "CatClamp", but it looks kinda lame and is expensive.

I was thinking this might be the best way to convince my wife that we NEED skidplates.

Do you think the skid plates would be enough of a deterrent to ward off thieves?

I figure, anything that makes it difficult to use a 'sawzall' would make a thief leave. These are being stolen in broad daylight all over. My friend just had theirs stolen off a 3rd gen 4Runner in the lot I park in at work last week! Luckily, I was out of town.
speicte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
bulldog
Admin

I think the 2 front cats will be pretty hard to get to fro a quick steal. Teh other cats seem to be a bit exposed. Gettign skid plates (pending design) should slow them down a bit. See the budbuilt skids pictures and decide for yourself.

Good excuse to get skids though

2019 Low Rider
2021 Poser
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

I guess soem people park in remore places but what I don't get is it must take a few minutes to get the cats cut off and I know with my truck the alarm goes freaking nuts if you even try opening a locked door. With the alram going off for a few minutes these theives sure must be brazen.
04 V8 SE, F250 Solid Axles Swap, Marlin Crawl Case, FT Case swap, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper. Shrockworks F.Bumper
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
speicte
Rookie

Default gone in no time

they are using a sawzall or something and cutting them out. it takes almost no time to cut through the thin exhaust on each side of the cat. these guys are in plain daylight in a big parking lot. they slip under the truck and then are shielded by cars next them and cut away. it doesn't take them much time at all. they are targeting SUVs because they are higher off the ground and have the cats are exposed.

i hate thieves...

Last edited by speicte; 03-03-2008 at 03:49 PM.
speicte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
FJCcrawler
Crawler

well then you're set! Not only do you have an excuse to get some new heavy duty budbuilt skids but you can give those dirty thieves a hard time cutting out the cats plus once those thieves sees that you have budbuilt skids they probably won't even touch it because of the trouble it'll take to cut around the skids

07 FJC
01 4runner
Chris
FJCcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
Pedram88
Lead Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by speicte View Post
they are using a sawzall or something and cutting them out. it takes almost no time to cut through the thin exhaust on each side of the cat. these guys are in plain daylight in a big parking lot. they slip under the truck and then are shielded by cars next them and cut away. it doesn't take them much time at all. they are targeting SUVs because they are higher off the ground and have the cats are exposed.

i hate thieves...
You know you shouldn't really need a skid plate. That will probably make them want yours more since it keeps all the mud off to. Just get more mud and cake that thing. The more they cut the more crap falls. Ever try fixing something under a muddy truck. It rains dirt.

88 4Runner 4x4, 22RE rebuilt by me, 5 speed, upgraded rear to V6 third and ARB locker 4:88's, Custom built Solid front axle from an 85 high pinion 4:88 open, All Pro 6" lift, 33x12.5x15" BFG All terrain, custom rear tire carrier and bumper made by me, front bumper and slidders from 4XInnovations, LED/HID lights, and some Kraggen brand bucket seats.
Pedram88 is offline   Reply With Quote