Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf

Unread 08-31-2017, 02:24 PM   #41
Darklight
Old Timer

Well software update didn't fix it and they've tested everything they can think of. Everything seems fine with all the sensors and electronics. There best guess is it's the fuel pump and filter. Not sending enough fuel at higher rpm. Even though it passed the fuel pressure tests. They quoted 900 for the fuel pump and filter to be installed. Not even sure that's it.
Anyone ever installed a fuel pump and filter before?
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Clazzio black Leather, LR UCA's ,OW Radflo 2.5"coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, TJM 10K winch, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, A-ha diff bracket 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2017, 03:34 PM   #42
chayos00
Desert SW Roamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
Just discovered something when I was looking for 4.0L upgrade parts due to watching Engine Masters on YouTube. Food for thought if it turns out to be fuel delivery related.

URD Fuel Pump/Filter Kit, 2003-2009 4Runner V6

Edit - Discovered they are actually URD products and cheaper on the URD website.
Well you ought to check this out if they want the fuel filter/pump. Would make it easy to fix in the future too.
"I'm an AMERICAN by birth and a VETERAN by choice!"
chayos00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2017, 07:30 PM   #43
Darklight
Old Timer

Yes I am looking into this kit. Thank you for the link and info. Sounds like this replaces the stock in tank pump filter with an external pump filter. That would be easy to change down the line and the cost is way less. Interested to see what URD says about my issue and this products install info. Only thing is the toyota fuel pump assembly comes with a new sender wire harness. That is an import part for my issue possibly. But then again this is not really a definitie fix for my issue. Hope it is though.
Just going to keep on going and hope a light or code will get tripped. Maybe now with the new software it will be more sensitive to it.

Bobby
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Clazzio black Leather, LR UCA's ,OW Radflo 2.5"coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, TJM 10K winch, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, A-ha diff bracket 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Unread 09-02-2017, 12:19 AM   #44
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
Well you ought to check this out if they want the fuel filter/pump. Would make it easy to fix in the future too.
What I don't get is that the kit they show has a fuel filter sock just like the factory unit, so it makes the in-line external fuel filter moot and a potential fuel line failure point.

Also I can't say I've seen too many units clogging up in "30,000miles" (or even 100k) that'd fall under 3yr/36k bumper to bumper, that'd be A LOT of warranty fuel pump replacements. Normally I like URD and those guys seem to be pretty good and knowledgeable on most things, but this particular statement just doesn't pass the sniff test. Most fuel pumps fail from overheating (they're cooled by the fuel itself, so running the tank excessively low constantly can burn them out) and/or excessive voltage drop.

All that being said, it could be an issue with the fuel pump, but it's hard to say. I honestly would not have expected the "software updates" to fix the issue. The main reason is that the BST update (probably either the first or second software update revision available for the vehicle, I forget which is first) is only detailed to install the brake/accelerator cancel function (i.e. holding the throttle then pushing on the brake causes the vehicle to cut to idle so you can't have an "unintended acceleration event"). Now that doesn't mean there haven't been improvements to the ECM coding that could benefit you, it just means that there's no real definitive "Patch Notes" that tell you exactly what the software does for every aspect of the vehicle, besides putting in the brake override software.

I wouldn't expect an issue in the ECM to be fixed by a software update unless it is specifically detailed in the TSB/Software Update technical instructions (i.e. "This Software Update fixes an issue with DTC P0XXXX being set and/or an occasional mis-shift in 3rd gear in weather under 40*F when the vehicle is cold.) It's possible, but highly unlikely; this just sounds like a "we've tried everything else, lets just give this a shot and cross our fingers" thing.

Last edited by BlackWorksInc; 09-02-2017 at 12:22 AM.
BlackWorksInc is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2017, 06:29 AM   #45
Darklight
Old Timer

Thanks me for all that info. Nothing fixed the issue and the best bet is try replace the fuel pump filter assembly which I plan on doing with toyota fuel pump assembly.

URD recommends replacing their fuel filter every 30k and it does not include the sending unit and other items the fuel assembly includes. Might install it myself as well.

Bobby
Darklight's Build
Unread 09-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #46
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
Thanks me for all that info. Nothing fixed the issue and the best bet is try replace the fuel pump filter assembly which I plan on doing with toyota fuel pump assembly.

URD recommends replacing their fuel filter every 30k and it does not include the sending unit and other items the fuel assembly includes. Might install it myself as well.

Bobby
That doesn't surprise me with an in-line unit, I'm just curious why they would bother with an in-line filter if they show a sock filter for their kit. The main reason in-tank units have a sock filter on the end is because that's what prevents debris from going into the pump (the first thing it goes through in these systems is the pump). So if they don't put a sock on the pump inlet it's going to have stuff eating away at the pump and then getting filtered into the in-line filter, which seems like a good way to sell pumps. But putting a sock filter on the pump makes the in-line filter mostly redundant as the fuel should be fairly clean by that point.

I'd be curious what URD's statement is in regards to that.

As for replacing the fuel pump, it's worth a shot. I'd need to see more data and how the dealership tested the vehicle's fuel system to be sure that's a possibility. But fuel starvation at higher load could be the issue. I also wonder if the fuel pressure regulator might be acting up somehow?
Unread 09-03-2017, 04:32 AM   #47
gshadow325
Rookie

My Volvo's would do this when the maf sensor was bad and or one of the hoses was loose or had a hole in it. It would really hate it when one of the pipes going into the throttle body was disconnected. It would fall flat on it's face when I was accelerating. Like someone turned on the tractor control.
Unread 09-03-2017, 06:45 PM   #48
Darklight
Old Timer

Things the dealership tried included: fuel pressure (seemed normal but not sure at 4K rpm) , swapped mass airflow sensor, swapped accelerator pedal position sensor, hooked up scope to crank shaft speed sensor. Checked gas. Inspected all vacumme tubing and lines in engine bay. No problem found and said it is very hard to diagnose since it only happens at high speeds.
Darklight's Build
Unread 09-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #49
chayos00
Desert SW Roamer

Man this is just one weird issue!! I've never really looked into the fuel assembly before suggesting the pump from URD, just thought it was an interesting idea. If it was what I was needing, I would have researched to the ends of the world before making a decision. LOL

Blackworksinc - Do you think with the fact that Darklight is at 100k+ on the factory tranny fluid that could play into this at all? I'm not sure, but I know when I flushed mine around 80k it made the shifting feel better.

Either way it sure does sound like it's starving for something feeding the engine. Just to confirm in the low gears WOT does work up to redline right? Or just in the 3rd+?
"I'm an AMERICAN by birth and a VETERAN by choice!"
chayos00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #50
Darklight
Old Timer

Starting to wonder if it's just bad gas. Seemed fine this morning. Didn't get it to redline but it went when I needed it too. Went up to 5.5k at high speeds.
Shifting is smooth and always has been.
The issue happens at high speeds when accelerating hard. From a start it did happen once getting up to speed at a lower gear maybe 2 or 3rd. Still can not get it to redline as I usually never throttle up that hard to begin with. After all this I have tried several times but was unsuccessful.
Darklight's Build
Unread 09-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #51
Darklight
Old Timer

Just an update here. I haven't been experiamenting with flooring it lately. I did have a weird issue today. While attracting it acted like it didn't want to turn over but then it did. Really starting to think it is the fuel filter pump sending unit going bad. Guess I'll be doing it soon.
Darklight's Build
Unread 09-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #52
Robinhood4x4
Driver

If you're going to drop the tank, you might as well replace the gauge level sensor too.
Unread 09-09-2017, 06:49 AM   #53
Darklight
Old Timer

It's all a part of the fuel pump assembly from what Toyota is telling me.
Darklight's Build
Unread 09-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #54
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
It's all a part of the fuel pump assembly from what Toyota is telling me.
Yeah I don't think they sell that stuff separate anymore, they used to.