Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Outfitting

Unread 03-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #81
XCR89
Rookie

Just completed the survey, hope this bump encourages more people to complete the survey.
2003 4runner limited 185K miles, Icon Stage2, LR UCA's, 295/75r16 toyo open country at2 extreme, 4.56's, ARB front locker, Detroit TruTrac rear, CBI front bumper, Full RCI Skids, warn m8000-s, PIAA530 Fogs, VisionX 6.7"light canons, magnaflow catback/vibrant resonator, Lots of dynamat/dynaliner, factory extended rear swaybar links, Front Runner Roof Rack SlimlineII
XCR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #82
cmiller
Driver

Another survey taken here .
Unread 08-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #83
st1bn7
Rookie

another servey here , but what happening will it happen some day it been almost 4 years i am looking for flares !
st1bn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2017, 11:28 AM   #84
A10MileHusker
Unlocked

So I FINALLY received an answer on why these were never made.

I was at my local outfitter shop the other day and the Bushwacker guy was there. I started talking to him to make friends with him and see if I could really get the inside scoop - I didn't want to just bombard him and ask him why they went dark on us right out the chute :shout

Turns out there was an issue with them not being able to attach them to our rigs. They made multiple attempts with trial and errors and could never find a solution.

Turns out their main issue was the rear door. They couldn't get them to stay on and they were ending up on the side of the highway. According to him, the way our fenders are split with some on the door and the other half on the body didnt allow enough mounting locations for the fenders.

He said they just didn't want to release a product that wouldn't stand up to their standards.

At the time I nodded my head and truly believed "that makes sense."

After leaving I was driving and looking at a 5th Gen which I knew they made the flares for and they have a split fender on the rear too! How can they stay on the 5th Gens but not ours!?

So I dont know if he was actually just feeding me BS or what but I am going to try and see if I can meet up with him again to discuss some more or I wonder if I can fabricate a 5th Gen or a Tacoma to fit ours.

Furthermore Susan, I was talking with a Police Officer the other day just in passing since this idea had been resurrected in my mind and asked him about my fenders and if they were legal. He looked at them and he said "If I really wanted to, I could write you a ticket for not having sufficient flares to cover the tire tread. That being said, you are so close, we have bigger fish to fry when it comes to vehicles without fender flares."

So, I would like to get something but I'm not in dire need. I need lockers more but if I come across a cheap pair or something like that I might jump on them but nothing immediate.
A10MileHusker is offline   Reply With Quote