Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 07-11-2017, 07:58 AM   #1
Deerunner
Rookie

Default Recommend dual battery

I am interested in adding a second battery to run a fridge. After researching I am leaning towards getting 2 diehard platniums. The reason is because people say the are rebranded odessay batteries which are suppose to be really good but at a cheaper price point.

I have a couple of questions that I couldn't find a answer to. Is the diehard platnium battery a dual purpose battery? Why are people running 2 of them instead of running a deep cycle marine for the second battery?
Also what exact model is a good choice for the 4th gen? I want to keep weight down. Can some recommend a exact model combo of batteries with the lightest weight and that could power the following...

Winch
Lights
Fridge
Camp lights

I don't want to go over kill and add over 100lbs of batteries .
Deerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #2
bulldog
Admin

I used the metal cased Odyssey batteries, which does add weight.

IIRC I use the PC-1700 as main and the PC-925 as second(wired for Fridge, ACC and Comms) with intelligent solenoid setup.

The DIeHards save weight by not having the metal casing (not sure how much the metal casing is really needed).
I would not go below the PC-1500 equiv for the main as I don't believe that is very different than the OEM. I used the 925 as it fitted nicely next to the airbox on the V8, so no need to relocate anything. However I feel that the 925 capacity is a bit low for very hot trips with the Engel fridge. Pending on your setup and willingness to fit the second battery, you may want at least a 1200 equiv for the second.

There were many discussions on capacity, etc a few years back in the Electrical section. Will give you good ideas for what to use, etc.

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

I use the Odyssey PC1500 for both main and aux. It's a bit overkill, but I feel more comfortable knowing I can run my fridge for days on end without ever starting the car, it works out great for backpacking trips and coming back to some cold beers.

That smaller PC925 that Bulldog uses is only about 20 pounds lighter, which is basically 3 gallons of gas, give or take. And yet the PC1500 has nearly 2.5 times the capacity of the PC925. Unless you're getting pretty intense with the weight saving, I wouldn't think about that too much. The only other factor that would sway me away from the PC1500 is it's about 100 dollars more expensive, but considering the battery should last 5 years or more that's a pretty small price to pay when spread out over that time period. I say go for the bigger one and be happy knowing it's probably more than you need.
Unread 07-11-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
Deerunner
Rookie

Thanks guys this is all great info. After looking into the diehard platnium it sounds like they stopped manufacturing them. The pc1500 might be the way I go.
Can you run the pc925 as your main and have the bigger pc1500 as the second? Will is effect the winch that is hooked up to the main?
Unread 07-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #5
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerunner View Post
Thanks guys this is all great info. After looking into the diehard platnium it sounds like they stopped manufacturing them. The pc1500 might be the way I go.
Can you run the pc925 as your main and have the bigger pc1500 as the second? Will is effect the winch that is hooked up to the main?
No you cannot. The 925 doesn't put out enough CCA to start the truck, it's just too small of a battery.

Not sure exactly what you mean about the winch. The aux battery, if connected, will supplement the power to the winch and allow you to winch longer. It's still best to have the engine running however, otherwise you end up with two dead batteries instead of one. You can have the aux battery disconnected while winching with the engine off, that way you can connect it and jump start start yourself if the main gets too low to start the truck after winching
Unread 07-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #6
Deerunner
Rookie

Thanks for the info Jeff. I'm not to knowledgeable on how they act together so this really helps clear it up. I have another dumb question for you. Is the pc1500 considered a deep cycle battery or is it a dual purpose battery. Just wonder do I just purchase 2 of the same kind or is there a different model for the aux battery
Unread 07-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #7
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Thanks for the info Jeff. I'm not to knowledgeable on how they act together so this really helps clear it up. I have another dumb question for you. Is the pc1500 considered a deep cycle battery or is it a dual purpose battery. Just wonder do I just purchase 2 of the same kind or is there a different model for the aux battery
It's a dual purpose so it can be used for either, it's good for starting but can handle a discharge as well. Make sure to get the "reverse" terminal for the starting battery. I have the 34R-PC1500T. Basically this means the positive terminal sits opposite the traditional side, which is necessary due to how Toyota mounted the batteries in the engine bay. The 34-PC1500T (not "R") fits physically but the positive cable from the alternator is too short to reach without modifying.

Keep this in mind for the aux battery also. Since I set mine up as a mirror image on the other side of the engine, the normal (non "R") battery fit my needs for the aux.

The 34R-790 model will also work as a starting battery. It's nearly identical to the 34R-PC1500T, its just the "Performance" line of batteries instead of the "Extreme" line so it's not quite as beefy. It may save you a few bucks getting that one instead although there shouldn't be too much of a difference, however it might be worth your while to get the Extreme series, which might help out any winching you may do.
Unread 07-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #8
Pixie Susan
Rookie

It's dual purpose. I'm running a Northstar group 31M as my primary. I have everything to add a second battery, just hasn't been a priority. I haven't bought my auxiliary yet, but it will probably be a group 34 Northstar (or the rebranded version X2 Power) or a Deka Intimidator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pixie Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2017, 10:23 PM   #9
Deerunner
Rookie

Do you think it's worth getting a marine battery for the auxiliary so that you can have lower discharge and run power longer with out damaging it? I think with a dual purpose your not suppose to discharge more then 50% right?
Unread 07-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #10
bulldog
Admin

Most people use the second battery for accessories like fridge, comms, etc and only as backup or additional power for main. This means it can often be run down, and best to get a deep cycle unit.
Also good to consider a unit that handles shock, vibration and heat well to cope with offroading. Marine batteries typically can handle all of this, but many other types do as well.

2019 Low Rider
Unread 07-11-2017, 10:49 PM   #11
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Do you think it's worth getting a marine battery for the auxiliary so that you can have lower discharge and run power longer with out damaging it? I think with a dual purpose your not suppose to discharge more then 50% right?
I see no reason to get a marine battery. The specs are identical for the Odyssey Extreme 1500 and the Odyssey Marine Extreme 1500.

From Odyssey's website for the Extreme series (not marine):
"they can handle 400 charge-discharge cycles to 80% depth of discharge."
Unread 07-11-2017, 10:56 PM   #12
Deerunner
Rookie

Great info jeffy. The odyssey seems pricey but sounds like they will last.
Unread 07-12-2017, 11:45 PM   #13
Deerunner
Rookie

Will the pc1500 fit in stock primary tray?
Unread 07-13-2017, 06:19 AM   #14
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Will the pc1500 fit in stock primary tray?
They're slightly shorter than stock so you may need to add a small spacer, but other than that it's a perfect fit. I slipped a thin piece of plastic under mine, no issues
Unread 07-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #15
chayos00
Desert SW Roamer

This is an interesting read which got me to research AGM batteries a bit more. Based on the info here http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._glass_mat_agm AGM batteries can't handle the heat as much, it indicates that it shouldn't charge with an internal temp of 120F or more. With living in an engine bay and in Arizona where it's regularly 100F+ outside temps, I'm sure my batteries get quite toasty.... Wonder how long these batteries would last in the desert.
"I'm an AMERICAN by birth and a VETERAN by choice!"
chayos00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2017, 05:53 PM   #16
bulldog
Admin

That is why I use the metal jacket version of the Odyssey, they add weight, but much higher operating temp 176F vs 113F.
http://www.odysseybattery.com/design_advantages.aspx

Have seen people use the generic version without metal in CA desert in heat without issues, but may not be good for the lifespan. Perhaps some desert peeps can chime in.

2019 Low Rider
Unread 07-27-2017, 07:20 PM   #17
HOJeepster
Driver

Check out these guys based in Colorado. I've seen their product first hand and it is top notch.

https://off-grid-engineering.myshopi...attery-systems
Unread 08-18-2017, 08:19 AM   #18
chayos00
Desert SW Roamer

So my duralast gold battery bit the bullet on Wednesday. Put a charger on it overnight so I could start it thursday and it wouldn't start the truck, deader than a doornail. I had to jump it with my wifes car to get to 4Wheel Parts for an Odyseey battery, which I picked up the 34R-PC1500T one. I called about the 1700 metal jacket one, but they had to be shipped overnight and as I'm going out of town today that wasn't an option. But as the specs were very close between the two I went for it. I had to get a spacer to make it tighten down, but it worked even though the guy grabbed an old optima spacer LOL.

So as far as battery chargers do you guys use the special AGM ones like the optima? I have an old one I bought years ago that has a manual mode, conventional battery, and a deep cycle mode. I used the deep cycle mode and it matched the Odyseey recommendations of ending with a 13.6 float charge. Wondering if it's worth it to drop the 100+ on the 12A charger. Granted the 20A is what they recommend, but being it's so hot here in AZ at times the slower charge wouldn't overheat it as much.
"I'm an AMERICAN by birth and a VETERAN by choice!"
chayos00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2017, 09:27 AM   #19
Pixie Susan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
So my duralast gold battery bit the bullet on Wednesday. Put a charger on it overnight so I could start it thursday and it wouldn't start the truck, deader than a doornail. I had to jump it with my wifes car to get to 4Wheel Parts for an Odyseey battery, which I picked up the 34R-PC1500T one. I called about the 1700 metal jacket one, but they had to be shipped overnight and as I'm going out of town today that wasn't an option. But as the specs were very close between the two I went for it. I had to get a spacer to make it tighten down, but it worked even though the guy grabbed an old optima spacer LOL.

So as far as battery chargers do you guys use the special AGM ones like the optima? I have an old one I bought years ago that has a manual mode, conventional battery, and a deep cycle mode. I used the deep cycle mode and it matched the Odyseey recommendations of ending with a 13.6 float charge. Wondering if it's worth it to drop the 100+ on the 12A charger. Granted the 20A is what they recommend, but being it's so hot here in AZ at times the slower charge wouldn't overheat it as much.

I use a Noco G7200 for my Northstar 31M AGM. Its what my pocket could afford and has been working great. I'm on a new dual battery mission though...

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-to...-feedback.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pixie Susan is offline   Reply With Quote