Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Outfitting

Unread 06-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #41
MysticZ
4wd Twin Stick Newbie

Looks great..

Can't wait to see more..

RST www.rocksolidtoys.com IFS 4WD Conversion Done..
MysticZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #42
Crozhawk
PRO ROCK 60s

well after mocking up the bumper today, I've decided I am only going to pursue the model that cuts the rear cross member. THe kit I have now can be made to work as a bolt on version but I will not be putting any of those together. I tried but I just don't have the time and resources right now to take that on.

I have to get my own bumper built for Colorado in late July. I'm building this one and adjusting as I go so I can take any new measurements to the laser cutter to make this model easy to reproduce. This bumper will require cutting the crossmember off right at the rear of the body mount and having some new mounts welded onto the frame.

I still have some adjustments to make and provide a little more space for clearance between the bumper and the rear hatch. Still working on a solution for the gap....

Roams' truck is at my house. His and mine have a nearly identical frame height and I measured from the ground to the bottom of his CBI and the ground to the bottom of mine and this one has about 3 more inches of clearance. You can see how there's room to remove some more of the bottom of the wings of the bumper too.

Here's how the fitment is coming so far.

Solid Axle Conversion

Last edited by Crozhawk; 06-24-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Crozhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #43
java230
Old Timer

looking good! will it be any closer up to the lift gate?
Unread 06-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #44
MCL68
Super Moderator

Good stuff Dave !!!

With this design, will you stay with a single swingout arm, or do dual swingouts?
MCL68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #45
Crozhawk
PRO ROCK 60s

Quote:
Originally Posted by java230 View Post
looking good! will it be any closer up to the lift gate?
I'm just going to even the gap around the door. The rear actually flexes more than the front bumper with a large tire on the back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCL_68 View Post
Good stuff Dave !!!

With this design, will you stay with a single swingout arm, or do dual swingouts?
I've got another idea for anyone with bigger than 35s. For 35s or smaller, I can do either a dual or single. Just have to figure what type of spindle to go with now that the rear of the bumper doesn't stick out as far.

Solid Axle Conversion

Last edited by Crozhawk; 06-05-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Unread 06-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #46
Crozhawk
PRO ROCK 60s

all the "fitment is complete and the mounting pieces for the new rear cross member are complete. This shows the exact shape of any bumpers following this one but with a more even gap around the lower corners of the hatch. Next I'll be adding a 2" receiver, filling the gap on the sides above the wings and making the tire carrier. Still need to figure what type of recovery points I want to use too. I'm taking all my adjustments to the laser cutter this week. THe next one should be just about perfect now that I've had a chance to mod this one.

I had to over expose these photos to show some detail:

Solid Axle Conversion
Unread 06-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #47
Seabee
Driver

Nice looking bumber Bro.

Seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #48
cbradley

Looks great!
Unread 06-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #49
MysticZ
4wd Twin Stick Newbie

Read to order.

Would like a dual swing with all the works please.

fuel & water can holder (based on Scepter cans)
hi-lift mount
adjustable tire carrier
antenna mounts
license plate holder

Last edited by MysticZ; 06-23-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Unread 06-24-2011, 03:05 AM   #50
jacob_wood
Driver

excellent build up. I'll be contacting you soon enough .
jacob_wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #51
Blowout
Senior Driver

The step in the OEM bumper makes you have to lean over to load and unload stuff from the back and becomes a PITA when its something heavy. I like how your bumper design sets the bumped closer to the tailgate for this reason.

I also like the new position of the proposed hitch placement. High and tight like a military haircut.

I'll be eager to see what it looks like when you even out the tailgate gap. Should be sweet!
2006 SR5 V8, DR front and rear, Camburg UCA, 17x9 ProComp 8107, 285/70/17 Procomp Xtreme M/T, SW sliders, Curt front trailer hitch, front/rear removable Smitty 8k winch, dual batteries, Baja rack, Airlift 1000, HID - high, low, fog, DIY front (disconnect) and rear (fixed) end links, LED backup, pin striped by manzanita and buck brush...
Blowout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #52
tenguns
Driver

Coming along good. How again do you cover the side panel wraps?

1996 SR5 4x East Coast Work Horse -
Broken Downey coils, new Tundra coils and brake system in the works for November. ARB, Warn winch, PIAA lighting, aftermarket leather and sitting in the snow waiting for me to get back to her...
tenguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #53
darkie3495
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenguns View Post
If you are referring to the gap above the bumper wings, the options are to cut your stock bumper cover or go with a fiberglass replacement that he is researching.

Taken from the other rear bumper thread:
"For the extra gap, I did a lot of brain storming and I kept coming back to using the stock bumper cover facia. It just keeps the lines so much better than anything else I could come up with. My idea now is to take it to a car audio shop that does fiberglass and see if they can re-create the area that's missing due to how the piece had to be trimmed. It actually shouldn't be that hard and after, it can be color matched to the truck again easily.
Unread 06-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #54
Crozhawk
PRO ROCK 60s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticZ View Post
Read to order.

Would like a dual swing with all the works please.

fuel & water can holder (based on Scepter cans)
hi-lift mount
adjustable tire carrier
antenna mounts
license plate holder
I'll PM you my phone number and if you could, just give me a call this weekend and we can discuss details. ...I need to know if you have a body lift. I forgot to mention that this is designed for a 1.25"-1.5" BL. I think I can make it work without but I'll obviously have to adjust the mounting pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenguns View Post
As darkie mentioned, I still think cutting the OEM piece to match looks the most finished. It has to be slightly modded and then painted to match.

this gives an idea:

I should have my initial prototypes back from the fiber glass guy on Monday or Tuesday next week. I'm looking around for more OEM bumper throw-aways from anyone that has all ready done a rear bumper. I could just add some plate to that area instead but I don't think it will look as good.

If anyone has their OEM rear bumper cover they're willing to part with, please let me know.

Solid Axle Conversion
Unread 06-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #55
dbiii
Driver

nice looking bumper. subscribed.

I don;t have the fund now, but would be very interested later on.
Unread 06-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #56
tenguns
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkie3495 View Post
If you are referring to the gap above the bumper wings, the options are to cut your stock bumper cover or go with a fiberglass replacement that he is researching.

Taken from the other rear bumper thread:
"For the extra gap, I did a lot of brain storming and I kept coming back to using the stock bumper cover facia. It just keeps the lines so much better than anything else I could come up with. My idea now is to take it to a car audio shop that does fiberglass and see if they can re-create the area that's missing due to how the piece had to be trimmed. It actually shouldn't be that hard and after, it can be color matched to the truck again easily.
Yea - I actually prefer to use the stock piece as it gets the tollerances closer - cleaner looking and with flex you're just busting up those little tabs if anything. I'd have to buy a new cover to redo mine to fit since I broke them already - so if its aftermarket - I'm okay with that too.

1996 SR5 4x East Coast Work Horse -
Broken Downey coils, new Tundra coils and brake system in the works for November. ARB, Warn winch, PIAA lighting, aftermarket leather and sitting in the snow waiting for me to get back to her...
tenguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #57
Crozhawk
PRO ROCK 60s

I'm going to stop after work today and see if the fiberglass guy has the first prototype pieces done. If they look good, I'll use him for the rest. MysticZ has been helping try to source more OEM bumper covers. I think this is going to be a very good solution.

I'm waiting on a quote for 3 more bumpers from the laser cutters, should have that by weeks end. Once I get the cut and bent pieces from them, the turn around shouldn't be too bad. For Masa's swingouts, I plan to use a hinge that uses a 1" bolt with a bronze sleeve/bushing that should be super strong. Roams and I will still use the fold down "cage/stinger" style carrier because of the bigger/heavier spare tire.

Solid Axle Conversion
Unread 06-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #58
Crozhawk
PRO ROCK 60s

they said the prototype side pieces should be ready tomorrow. They'll still need to be painted. This method takes a little more time and effort but I think will look mucho bettah in the long run.

Solid Axle Conversion
Unread 06-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #59
MysticZ
4wd Twin Stick Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crozhawk View Post
they said the prototype side pieces should be ready tomorrow. They'll still need to be painted. This method takes a little more time and effort but I think will look mucho bettah in the long run.

Do you still need the stock bumper extensions?

Unread 06-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #60
prjeff46
Buckeye Runner

The bumper looks pretty awesome Dave but I wouldn't expect anything less. I had a question about using the stock bumper cover. How exactly did you go about getting clean lines on the bumper cover when you cut it? Did you just tape it off and use a box cutter or some other method? Also I think I recall you saying you kept part of the mudflap to help keep it attached and then used the OEM tabs to hold it in place..just wondering if you could give some details please..thanks in advance!!
2004 v8 SE- Duratrac 33's-OW 2.5 front/OME rear-SW front bumper-Budbuilt-Engo 10K w/synthetic line- Lightforce 170's- LR UCA's-Spidertrax- Kurtfab Diff Bracket-4xInnovations sliders-1/2" body lift-JAMFab dual swingout bumper
prjeff46 is offline   Reply With Quote