Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf

Unread 11-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
jdkilroy
Rookie

Default "same" vehicle: 2008 Hilux and 4Runner ?

I'm looking at getting one of the Long Ranger fuel tanks for my 2008 V8 4WD Runner

They make a 140 litre tank to fit in OEM space for the 2008 Hilux.

http://thelongranger.com.au/hiluxlongrangefueltank.html

Would this be a clean interchange with same year 4Runner? I sent them same question but I don't think that they see 4Runners in Australia so they may not be able to answer.

If no one knows answer, can anyone point me in the direction of someone that might.

Am I looking at a long distance call to Japan ?

Thanks for any help.

2008 T4R SR5 V8 4WD

Last edited by jdkilroy; 11-18-2012 at 04:38 AM. Reason: spelling
jdkilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
bt216

i am also interested in the answer
Unread 11-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
shabaka
Senior Driver

The Hilux has more in common with the Tacoma
The Hilux Surf is our 4runner
So... My first guess is No, this will not "bolt-in" to a 'runner
But it may be an option as a starting point for a "custom" install

. . . . . . . . . . . .. .. .. . Yukon 4.88, ARB locker, Truetrac LSD, Camburg UCA, Custom Rear LCA, Energy Suspension
.... .. .... ... ..... ... .. ...Braille dual battery, Bulldog ALPHA 9300, Viking 3/8 rope, Gunnebo hook, BajaRack, Slimlites

.... .. .... ... ..... ... .. ...build & gallery
shabaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
bt216

Did you happen to get a price on that tank?
Unread 11-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
Stanleybb50
Rookie

Intrigued with this. I'd love to have like a 40 gal tank so I wouldn't have to fill up as often and have longer road trip range!

- Sent via Tapatalk
Stanleybb50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
sport_truck
Driver

I'm in Panama City, Panama... We got the hilux overhere and its not the same as the 4runner or Tacoma.

Different configuration, so I doubt it would be a direct bolt on
sport_truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
eskimochaos
Driver

I highly doubt there are any structural differences underneath.
eskimochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
AWSUMDC
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabaka View Post
The Hilux has more in common with the Tacoma
The Hilux Surf is our 4runner
So... My first guess is No, this will not "bolt-in" to a 'runner
But it may be an option as a starting point for a "custom" install
The Hilux really has nothing in common with the Tacoma or the 4runner with the exception of them being made by Toyota and maybe sharing some of the petrol engines, transmissions, ( but you have to be careful with that one because they can have the same motor as the Tacoma but use the earlier version of the A340 transmission with the diesel motors. Anyway, your best bet is to try and find someone who can or has made an extra tank for the 4runner because you have limited space under there. You can only come forward so far before you hit the transfer case, unless you have a 2wd rig.
My Build
AWSUMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #9
AWSUMDC
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimochaos View Post
I highly doubt there are any structural differences underneath.
They are completely different. The Hilux has a completely boxed frame while the Tacoma has a partial box frame. The tacoma is way bigger than the Hilux thus the frames are not interchangable. Heck, even the suspension components are different.

Even in the 120 series Tacoma the frames are not the same between the prerunner and the 4wd version.

Follow this thread and you'll see what I'm talking about. http://www.rocksolidtoys.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396

There are even differnces in the drive trains that use the same part numbers as Marlin and I found out when we went to Australia. Follow this thread to see what I'm talking about.

http://www.rocksolidtoys.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38

And even the brakes are different from one 120 series truck to another as seen here.

http://www.rocksolidtoys.com/forum/s...&postcount=253

Just because they are all 120 series vehicles and they are all made by Toyota does not mean they are going to be the same under the skin. They are all different beasts.
My Build
Unread 11-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
BlackWorksInc
Senior Driver

Interesting, I hadn't noticed the difference in crossmembers between the Prerunners and 4WD Tacoma.

If I remember correctly, the Hilux line (I believe it uses a modified version of its previous generation's frame IIRC) diverged from the 4Runner around the time the 2nd generation Tacoma moved to the 120 platform, while the Hilux Surf maintains a closer relationship with the Land Cruiser Prado.

AWSUMDC has a point, while many of the components may be the same or at least similar they are often not exactly interchangable as we'd like. I think the difference is more noticable in his case where they went from a 2WD to a 4WD vehicle.

For example a member on the T4R.org website was hoping to get a Hydraboost unit from a wrecked Tacoma, but the Tacoma uses a standard vacuum assisted booster while the 4Runner & FJ Cruisers use the HydraBoost units. Another example is the common swap for 4th generation owners to switch to FJ Springs and Shocks.

In short, most of the parts are gonna be fairly close between the 120 platform (i.e. suspension geometry, frame general shape, smilar drivetrain components, ect.) but much of it will be slightly modified for the individual line (i.e. The Tacoma frame is longer than a 4Runner with a full cab and bed, FJ Cruisers are a shorter frame and this necesitates modifying locations of structrual members.) In regards to your desire for an extended fuel tank, you'll have to see where it mounts on the Hilux frame and compare it with the 120 Platform underpinning the 4Runner to see whether or not it will physically fit, then see if (more than likely,) custom brackets will need to be made.

Post Note- AWSUMDC, when you state that other Hilux's run your proposed larger brake set-up do you know if they are using a different Master Cylinder? As I stated before, the FJ Cruiser and 4Runner utilize the Hydraboost system for their braking units and I wonder if that provides additional braking force, so I wonder if they upgraded their master cylinder as I agree with your statement that the current set-up is not providing enough pressure.

Last edited by BlackWorksInc; 11-30-2012 at 11:43 AM.
BlackWorksInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
eskimochaos
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSUMDC View Post
They are completely different. The Hilux has a completely boxed frame while the Tacoma has a partial box frame. The tacoma is way bigger than the Hilux thus the frames are not interchangable. Heck, even the suspension components are different.

Even in the 120 series Tacoma the frames are not the same between the prerunner and the 4wd version.

Follow this thread and you'll see what I'm talking about. http://www.rocksolidtoys.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396

There are even differnces in the drive trains that use the same part numbers as Marlin and I found out when we went to Australia. Follow this thread to see what I'm talking about.

http://www.rocksolidtoys.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38

And even the brakes are different from one 120 series truck to another as seen here.

http://www.rocksolidtoys.com/forum/s...&postcount=253

Just because they are all 120 series vehicles and they are all made by Toyota does not mean they are going to be the same under the skin. They are all different beasts.
Fantastic, I was comparing it to the 4Runner, which the OP is as well.
eskimochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
AWSUMDC
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimochaos View Post
Fantastic, I was comparing it to the 4Runner, which the OP is as well.
Uhmmmm. Ok. Everything still applies. The Hilux is nothing like the 4runner. Especially in the structural portions of the frames.

As close as the 4rnner and the Tacomas have their frames are vastly different as well.
My Build
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
fo'dilly
Rookie

I guess someone will post if they ever get this figured out, a bigger tank would be great.
fo'dilly is offline   Reply With Quote