Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > GX470

Unread 12-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
adamjohnson
Rookie

Default 2005 Gx470 Experience - Good & Bad

Bought my 2005 GX new in July, 2005 - my first Lexus and first luxury vehicle. I really like this vehicle and service at the dealership could not be better - maybe less expensive, but not better. However, I've had too many problems with this luxury vehicle, even though they have been covered by warranty: battery replaced at 46K miles/45 months; moonroof housing and cables replaced at 48K miles/46 months; driveshaft replaced at 48K miles/46 months; and transfer case o-ring leak repaired at 72.7K miles/73 months. The GX was barely out of warranty for this last very expensive repair (~$2600), but was covered 100% after I requested a review by the Service Manager. With my previous less expensive GM and Ford vehicles I experienced problems, but not such costly ones as with the GX. Now that I am well beyond warranty coverage I'm wondering if I should be looking at a new Audi or Acura.

Tags: hyundai hd72, xe toyota vios 2017, xe tai hyundai dong lanh

Last edited by adamjohnson; 01-02-2017 at 08:22 AM.
adamjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #2
bahndrvr
High Tech Red Neck:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
Bought my 2005 GX new in July, 2005 - my first Lexus and first luxury vehicle. I really like this vehicle and service at the dealership could not be better - maybe less expensive, but not better. However, I've had too many problems with this luxury vehicle, even though they have been covered by warranty: battery replaced at 46K miles/45 months; moonroof housing and cables replaced at 48K miles/46 months; driveshaft replaced at 48K miles/46 months; and transfer case o-ring leak repaired at 72.7K miles/73 months. The GX was barely out of warranty for this last very expensive repair (~$2600), but was covered 100% after I requested a review by the Service Manager. With my previous less expensive GM and Ford vehicles I experienced problems, but not such costly ones as with the GX. Now that I am well beyond warranty coverage I'm wondering if I should be looking at a new Audi or Acura.
If your worried about reliability stay away from an Audi - and Acura's tranny's with their all wheel drive systems are crap as well. The GX will be fine - honestly the items you are pointing out are all somewhat standard repairs. The Moonroof item is a bit -one off - but the rest is good to go and if you aren't aware the average life of a battery is 36 months expected - in Florida they let us know to expect 2 years due to the high heat so 45 months is really good regardless of miles... Driveshaft shouldn't have to be replaced but if your not doing the proper maint then I can see it happen - just grease the zirk fittings and no issues. The transfer case o-ring can and does happen depending on environment, honestly mine is leaking a bit right now and I need to drain and re-fill while replacing the gaskets and O-rings but I expect this as it's a 4wd vehicle.

I have had several Lexus vehicles and my only complain for them was the electronics, and they typically are good for around 20 years from my experience.... If your looking for a reason to jump ship and get a new vehicle you can always find one, but you have a good vehicle that will continue to go for 400+k miles with relatively no issues if you choose to keep going and take care of it!
315 BFG AT KO2's (35's) - Other stuff done, 6th 4Runner

2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara - Wife's
bahndrvr is offline   Reply With Quote