Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > 4th Gen 4Runner & Hilux Surf

Unread 07-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
Duc Hunter

Default A/C making weird noises

So this has been going on for a long time and I have ignored it. My warranty is about to expire and I want it fixed. When I have the A/C set at say 72 and the cabin is cool I hear this funny clicking sound from under the dash. IT is like a combo between a gurgling and a relay clicking. My first thought was the A/C is constantly moving something to keep the air temp balanced since the car is cool. I seem to notice it more when it is humid out also. If I turn the temp up or down so it switched to either more A/C or heat it goes away. I believe if I turn off the A/C button it goes away too. Thoughts?

I mentioned it to the deal the last time it was in and he replaced my A/C relay, saying it was the old style and they have a new one that was updated. He simply told the warranty people mine had failed. Other than that he believes it was the A/C pulling hot air in from the heater to keep the cabin at temp, since it was already cool, versus over cooling it. My G/F has other friends with 4th Gens and none of them make this noise.
Unread 07-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
Photog
Old Timer

I can't say what the problem might be; but my rig does not make sounds like that. I run my A/C most of the year.

Have you taken out your "fresh air" filter? When I changed mine out last time, I found the fan had sucked in a napkin from the glove box (not sure how). This made an odd noise.
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
tigerwong58
Rock Ninja

My 2005 Limited V8 is now making the same noise, only when the A/C is on. Like a tinning, clicking sound, almost every 30 seconds. When I turn the A/C off the noise is gone. It started after I changed my cabin filter. Maybe something dropped into the fan??
tigerwong58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
Photog
Old Timer

I had a paper napkin migrate from my glovebox into the fan area. I found it when I went to change my filter.

It is worth a look.
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote