Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Technical write ups > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Closed Thread
Unread 12-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Lightbulb Speedometer correction

The Speedohealer is a very small unit and has a vehicle specific harness for most Japanese motorcycles only. It is also available with a universal splice harness which is the one I got. If you look at the second pic, lower right hand corner of the bag you'll see the harness also comes with a jumper plug. So if for any reason you need to return the speedo back to stock specs, just unplug the Speedohealer and plug in the jumper plug.

The unit I got is Version 3 which has the DIP switches. There is a Version 4 which is all digital and simpler to use and program. I believe it also has a more accurate correction factor.

After debating, I decided to pull the combination meter (aka speedo/tach assy) and wire the Speedohealer right to the wire going to the speedo. To do this, pop out the bezel, (you may have to loosen the lower panel) and remove three gray screws, one in the top center of the combo meter and the other two on the bottom left and right. There are two other screws in the combo meter, those secure the main harness plugs in the back. Loosen those screws until the plugs come out. These screws have a retainer ring so they can't actually be removed from the combo meter. Look for the Gray wire with the Red stripe. That's the one I cut. It's located in the left (driver side) plug behind the combo meter.

I wired the output of the Speedohealer to the wire going to the plug and the input to wire going to the harness. I extended my power and ground wires to wire them by the fuse box. Power to a switched ignition source and ground to metal.

I then routed the plug down by the left kickpanel.

Plugged the unit in, calibrated according to the instructions. The website has a calculator with specific procedures for setting your percentage correction. Mine was 7.7%.

Unit is small enough to tuck into the left kickpanel.

Results:

BEFORE;

AFTER;
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
Unread 12-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

Haven't tested the range meter yet. I have a full tank of gas, so we'll see how it goes. Maybe the avg mpg readout will be more accurate now too.

The unit was $85 on ebay, retail is $110. Website is www.healtech-electronics.com or just google speedohealer.
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
Unread 12-28-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

A bit more information on speedometer correction devices.
I found there basically 3 devices available on the market today.

Speedohealer; retail $110, correction factor increment of .1%
uses dip switches and a button to set calibration.
Version 4 is all digital and uses buttons to set calibration.

Yellow Box; retail $100, correction factor increment of .5%
uses dip switches to set an 8 digit binary code based on a conversion table to set calibration.

Superlift Truspeed Calibrator; $214-$281 (price varies) correction factor increment of 1%
uses a rotary dial to set correction based on an old vs new tire size and old vs new gear ratio table.

All 3 devices use a simple 4 wire hookup; PWR, GND, speedo signal IN, speedo signal OUT.

My personal opinion is this.
Speedohealer and Yellow Box are virtually the same in price but Speedohealer is more accurate and easier to program.
Truspeed is more than double the price, is 10 times less accurate than Speedohealer and the rotary dial makes it difficult to get an exact percentage correction.

Hope this helps you all make an informed decision on which device to buy.
Love my accurate speedometer.
Unread 12-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #4
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

After driving 300 miles with the Speedohealer installed I have experienced no problems. The speedo and odo are still accurate and I have no idiot lights on the dash.

The central display (just below the radio) seems to have been affected as well. My MPG ave has changed and now reads higher than it used to. This makes sense since it used to believe I was going 66 mph when I was going 70 mph. Now that it "knows" the truck is going 70 mph instead of 66 mph for the same amount of fuel my ave MPG readout has increased. Tooling around in town tonight between 40 and 50 mph shows 19.5 mpg. That's a figure I haven't seen for a very long time. We all know the Toyota MPG computer is "tad" optimistic but I'll burn through this tank of gas and compare actual MPG vs vehicle calculated MPG and post up.
For now here's a pic....

Unread 01-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
bulldog
Admin

Discussion thread of mod
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4369

2019 Low Rider
Closed Thread