Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 03-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
Offroader5
Driver

Default Adding new amp to whole synthesis system?

Alright, so I'm not sure if this has been tried before...most of the threads I came up with in search were only an addition of a sub amp or the complete gut and replace of the whole OEM system.

At this point, I don't see the need to replace the stock JBL NAV HU....it's the speakers and frequency handling that need more attention IMO. I'm going to replace all the speakers with far better candidates, but as far as adding a new amp to power the whole system...these are my thoughts:

-Cut the speaker wires where they exit the OEM amp.
-Connect the speaker output wire stubs that exit the OEM amp to the speaker level inputs of a new amp.
-Connect the leads that go to each speaker (since they have been cut away from the OEM amp) to the speaker output connections of the new amp.

Thing I'm not sure of, is if the OEM amp sound processing output signal is going to be a problem for the new amp as an input signal. I don't THINK it will be an issue since speaker level inputs are meant to be hooked up right to a HU anyway which usually has some sort of processing or internal amp as it is.

My plan is to use a new 5 channel amp to power each door and the sub. I'm not going to even worry about the center channel and rear pillar speakers and will re-purpose these as CB and 2 meter external speakers.

So....anyone tried??
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
gaterose
Driver

I had mine like that for a few days, with a few exceptions.

I didn't have the NAV just the JBL 6 disc. I did it the way you're talking about and it was ok, but I didn't think the JBL HU did very good job of sending the signals so I put an aftermarket headunit back in. I thought the sound wasn't clear enough or loud enough and it didn't sound nearly as good as it did when I had an Alpine HU in.

In my setup I had 2 seperate amps, a JL 360.4 with front and rear (8 wires) from the JBL amp, and a JL 250.1 that had the SUB outputs (4 wires) from the JBL.

Streetwires makes a multiconductor cable for using speaker level outputs, that simplified things a lot.
Unread 03-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
zimm17
Driver

That sounds like a recipie for disaster. Dual amping your signal that already comes from the crappy headunit? Just dump it and go with a dual din something- if you don't want NAV, you can still get a nice big screen head unit for half the cost. Even a $150 alpine single DIN will get you a clean 5v signal for the amps.

You're on the right track about dumping the center channel- that's just a gimmick- a real sound stage sounds fine with just a set of components in the doors.
Unread 03-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
Offroader5
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm17 View Post
That sounds like a recipie for disaster. Dual amping your signal that already comes from the crappy headunit? Just dump it and go with a dual din something- if you don't want NAV, you can still get a nice big screen head unit for half the cost. Even a $150 alpine single DIN will get you a clean 5v signal for the amps.

You're on the right track about dumping the center channel- that's just a gimmick- a real sound stage sounds fine with just a set of components in the doors.
Yeah, that "recipe" is the same thing I thought at first...but somehow I felt that if I heard that it worked for others...I may try it.

My original thoughts were to just replace all the speakers and see how that sounded. Figured that any upgrade in the speakers should be ten fold better than stock. Then I realized that the HU wouldn't be able to power the new speakers effectively, and here we are...

I think I'll just swap out all the speakers first and see if the sound quality gets better. Worse case, I have to go further from there and install a new HU and add an amp at that point. Either way I'd still be replacing the speakers, so I won't be out any wasted cash or labor.

I've already started the swap in some regards...the whole rear interior is out and ready for sound deadening
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote