Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Gallery > Gallery

Unread 12-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
got556
Rookie

Default Time to get this build started '06 Limited

Hey all. Just checking in to get my build started.

I have an '06 Limited V8.

Been into 4Runners for a long time. My mother bought an '89 brand new and dad proceeded to total it by way of deer

From there she got a '90 and drove that 4banger 5spd 303,000 miles until again, dad was hit on the left quarter by a deer right before they were getting rid of it.

She then went to an '02 and drove it 261K miles until the rear end went out. At that point it was going to cost more to replace the rear than the vehicle was worth. So she then ordered a 2011 Limited.

So when my '07 FX4 Screw was totalled I figured it was time to get me something I could depend on. Went with a used '06 Limited with 90K on the ODO. I'm now sitting at 117K (wow I put on 27K miles in a year...eeek. Not near as bad as when I was averaging 45K miles a year, however)

I promised myself I wouldn't mod this thing...but you know how that goes.

So I just placed the order for some Camburg UCA's, Icon extended travel coilovers (non resi's), Icon rear shocks and struts (non resi's) and spidertraxx 1.25" spacers.

Also going to order some Duratrac 275/65/18's to throw on the stock wheels.

Around March or so I'll probably order a Demello front 3 hoop bumper and a CBI rear bumber. (Would have ordered those already but insurance is due and living in the city of Chicago made my rates go from 600 a year to about 2K a year...

My other hobbies are guns so I figure it's time I have a proper zombie/bug out vehicle.

Here are some stock pics of my 4R. (It was pretty mint until after about a week of owning it and some jackass hit and run my front bumper and driver's side fender)

Also need to install my DDM HID's I've had sitting around for the better part of a year. Going to remove the sidesteps also and add some sliders around the same time I order the bumpers.

got556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
HOJeepster
Driver

keep us posted after the lift that's the setup i want
Unread 12-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
Photog
Old Timer

Welcome, and looking forward to seeing the progress.
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
got556
Rookie

Thanks guys. Also thanks for the move mods. Rookie mistake
Unread 12-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
SidVicious
Driver

Sounds like you are building a clone (or pretty close to it) of my truck. You'll love it!

Welcome to T120!
Suspension: DR C/O ~ DR Shocks ~ IVD Coils ~ Medic Links Wheels/Tires: 1.25" Spidertrax Spacers ~ Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 275/65/18 More: DO Front Bumper ~ Shrockworks Sliders ~ Slee Brake Lines ~ Nav in Motion ~ National Luna Dual Battery Kit ~ DieHard Platinum PM-1/PM-2 ~ Blue Sea Fuse Block - ARB Fridge
SidVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
got556
Rookie

I've followed your build and love it!

Well I may have just scored some 18X9 XD Addicts (funny cuz I had those on my FX4) along with some 33" Duratracs (295/65/18's) so I'd say lift and wheels/tires are done.

Wow I dropped some coin today.

I was so close to pulling the trigger on resi'd shocks front and rear but honestly. I live no where near any deserts. No where near anywhere that I can go fast and hit the whoops. Sure my dad's corn fields have a few terraces/whoops but honestly it would have been overkill for my application.

ETA: Also ordered some All Pro extended lug nuts for when I get the Spidertrax spacers.

Thinking about piecing together medic's extended sway links here in a bit.

Last edited by got556; 12-21-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Unread 12-22-2012, 03:33 AM   #7
got556
Rookie

Suppose I ought to get the goals/plans list going

Interior LED's on the way, suspension on the way, and hopefully here soon my wheels/tires will be on the way. So those parts are taken care of.

First on the list is to get my timing belt/waterpump/etc replaced. Thought about doing it myself (hey if I can change belts/valves on Desmo and Testa Ducati motors, maybe I can tackle this)....I'm at 117K miles and it can't go another 3K w/out me getting this done asap.

Really good friends with an excellent Toyota dealer however so we'll see what they quote me for labor. The timing belt parts kit w/ water pump/etc is $305 on Amazon. So could save some money there.

Going to black out the headlights before installing the HID's. Did this on my ol' 350 Z and these look way easier to get to and disassemble than the Z lamps did.

After that I'll probably go with the Demello or CBI front bumper and BAMF kickout sliders.

Need to get a CB radio while I'm at it.

From there I'd like to mount some LED light bars on the roof. (And possibly search for a rack). Problem with a rack is that I have to park in a lot of parking garages due to work and may have height clearance issues.

From there not much left I would like to accomplish but simply enjoy it and drive it til the wheels fall off. Would love to get some ARB's and gears but that's a whole 'nuther price range.

Gears are one of the few mechanical things I have yet to tackle in any vehicle I've owned and not sure I want to.

Another thing I would like to do is convert the interior to all black. I hate light interiors and mine is that ugly bland gray. The Clazzio kit looks pretty good and would probably go with a black leather with red stitching.

Don't think I'll be needing the Spacers for the wheels now nor the All Pro lug nuts due to the -12 offset of the Addicts (18X9)...buying them used so not much of a choice on the backspacing/offset. So those will be up for sale. Also up for sale will be my 18" Limited OEM wheels and the tires that are currently mounted. Would love to keep those wheels but they've got bad pitting and the finish is wearing off. Had this same problem with my '07 Nissan Maxima SL wheels. Maybe they used the same wheel manufacturer during that time period!?!?!

What do you guys think would be a good asking price for the stock wheels and tires? Tire's were brand new when I bought the 4R so they now have 17K miles on them.

Last edited by got556; 12-22-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Unread 12-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
got556
Rookie

Just got a quote from my 'yota dealer on doing the timing belt/idlers/waterpump/serp belt. $780.

W/ that said it's not the mechanic I normally deal with at that dealership so I think I can get that price down a little. Could I save a couple dollars by ordering the parts myself? Yes. Could I do it myself? Yes, however I don't have a couple days to down time to devote it all to doing this maintenance. Secondly they have taken care of me many o' times at the dealer and they are very professional.

(KC Summers in Mattoon, IL is the dealer).
Unread 12-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
4mudder
Cheap Basterd

From what I've seen, that is a really good price. IIRC the job in Cali runs around $1200-$1500.
'05 4R SR5 V8, SAW 2.5 front, OW/Bilstein 5100 rear, SW Sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BL, extended rear swaybar links, front swaybar delete, AR wheels, GY Duratracs 33", Yaesu FT-8100r, Rola roof rack, Aux backup lights, Nuvi 255W, Speedohealer.
I had that Jeep thing... But I went to my local Toyota dealer, bought a 4Runner and it cleared that crap right up.
4mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
got556
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mudder View Post
From what I've seen, that is a really good price. IIRC the job in Cali runs around $1200-$1500.
Thanks and I agree, I was pretty happy with the price. Didn't let that mechanic know it though so maybe I can work my buddy there and see what he quotes me.

Tires/wheels ordered from Tire Rack. XD Addicts 18X9 (black) -12 offset. Duratracs 295/65/18 (E rated baby).

FYI that quoted price was skipping the cam and crank seals. I'll let sleeping dogs lie with those.

Have a quick question however.

If I order the 1" BL from 4Crawler, will I need the steering extension? Was planning on going with the rad drop but I can't for the life of me find a solid answer on the extension.

Is it one of those things that you wont know til you get it all on and see where you're at?
Unread 12-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #11
got556
Rookie

Okay ordered kit D + HD 1" body lift from Roger Brown/4Crawler. Didn't get the steering extension as everything I read as it's not needed for 1".

Now onto my next question.

I'll have the Icon 2" springs in the back with the 1" body lift plus the driver's side rear spacer to balance out the sag on the driver's side. Should I go ahead and order extended rear brake lines?

Thanks.
Unread 12-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
BackOff
Driver

I am thinking a bumper will help with the zombies! Hit it!
'04 T4R v6 SR5 4x4, Rancho 9000 Quick lift with My Ride (2.5"/1.5"), 265/75R16 Hankook Dynapro MT, .750 BORA wheel spacers, Light Racing uca's, 2nd gen rear sway bar links (1" longer), Air Lift 1000, K&N filter charger, Optima yellow top, Shrockworks front bumper, Warn 8000, Aluminess rear bumper.
BackOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #13
got556
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackOff View Post
I am thinking a bumper will help with the zombies! Hit it!

Tax refund will be going straight to armor funds
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #14
got556
Rookie

Well Interior LEDs came in yesterday. Tires and wheels coming in today, 1" body lift coming in tomorrow, suspension is coming in next Thursday (January 3rd), WabFab endlinks...who knows when, may just build some on the quick.

Most likely I will install the LEDs and HIDs sometime next week. Just trying to figure out time to install the suspension.

Aside from the fiberwerx fenders, does anyone know any other aftermarket fenders that look better on '06+ 4R's?
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
DawgRunner
Senior Driver

Sounds like a lot of cool mods you have lined up. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Unread 12-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
got556
Rookie

Thanks bud. I'll try to document it all through pictures. The one semi cheesy mod I'm doing that has no function what so ever other than making the 4R look a little meaner are the angel eye halos in the headlights. I'll do that when I black out the lights. Also plan to disable the DRL's and add the V3 Triton LED Turn signals so no amber will be showing on or off unless the turns are activated.

My modding budget may get a bit slashed as we're trying to find a replacement for my g/f's '95 Tahoe. Looking at some '03/'04 1st gen Xterras. And she's already said she wants a minor lift with wheels and tires.

Then again she's a whole 5'0" tall....still trying to figure out how hard of a time she's going to have getting into my 4R.
Unread 12-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #17
got556
Rookie

Parts are rolling in and I just got a hook up from a co-worker. His buddy owns a shop and said if I throw his buddy a $50 and a bottle of whatever I can use the shop after hours to install everything.

And yes he has a full lift or two.

Therefore making disco'ing the XREAS, putting the new susp in and also making the body lift that much easier.

Here's the parts so far, and the suspension is due in on Thursday.

Daystar spacers (really only need one for driver's side rear spring to fix the sag) and 4Crawler 1" body lift.

All Pro lug nuts that I was going to use with the Spidertraxx spacers (that I no longer need). But I may still use these with the wheels as they're nice lug nuts.

LED's for the interior

And finally 295/65/18 Goodyear Duratracs E load range and 18X9 -12 offset XD Addicts