Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Suspension and Tires

Unread 02-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
deadbeat son
Rookie

Default 5th gen suspension on a 4th gen 4R?

Howdy all,

I'm new to T120, but not to Toyotas. I have an '09 Tacoma DCSB with the TRD OR package that I have been driving since I bought it new, and prior to that I had an '83 FJ60. I really miss the 60.

Anyway, I just bought a low-mileage 2006 4Runner SR5 for my wife, and am curious about suspension options for it. I have searched and read a lot of threads on various boards about some of the different options available. I like the idea of Bilstein 5100 shocks (set to stock height) and OEM (not OME) FJC coils to firm things up just a bit. I haven't seen any FJC coils on my local CL lately, but I'm still keeping an eye out for a set.

However, I did see someone posted some new take-off 5th Gen 4R Trail suspension parts. I understand the 5th gen is a few hundred pounds heavier than the 4th. Will the 5th gen springs firm up the ride a touch and maybe add an inch or so of ride height to my 4th gen, similar to the FJC coils? I have searched, but I can't seem to find anyone who has tried this spring swap. Perhaps my google-fu is lacking at the moment.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the advice! I appreciate the info on this message board versus the other 4 Runner site I found; that one reminds me of a middle school cafeteria.
deadbeat son is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
bulldog
Admin

Keep in mind the front shocks lower mount on the 5th Gen is a touch wider, so will cause some challenge to install (Just FYI if you think of dropping the whole strut in). With some motivation you can make it fit. It will raise the 4th Gen a touch, but not much, also the ride will be a little firmer. The FJC coils will give more lift than the 5th Gen TE IMO.

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
deadbeat son
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the reply! I probably would pass on the stock struts and go with 5100s. I have a set on my Taco and appreciate their response, but I'm running the coil seat at stock height on it too.

Perhaps I'd be better off to wait for a set of FJC coils. Since it's my wife's car, I don't want to go to an OME 883/895e setup. I think those will be a touch too tall for her.
deadbeat son is offline   Reply With Quote