Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Offroad Tech and Tips > Offroad Tech

Unread 03-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
bulldog
Admin

Default Securing Shrockworks front bumper

Some folks seem to have no problem with their shorckworks bumper shifting after a fast and hard desert run, others seem to have issues. Lets use this thread to figure out tthe solution(s) and cause(s).

For general feedback use expat's thread here
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1296

I have a Ramsey 9500 patriot winch mounted with syn rope and also a 1.5" body lift. The bodylift required me to move the bumper up one hole on the bracket. This means only 3 bolts an each side are holding the bumper to the mounting bracket.

My bumper keep shifting when I drive over washbaord road at some speed. On the Piute Mtn trip I winched quite a bit. At one point I used the snatchblock and tied it back to the bumper recovery point. This caused the bumper to shift completely and push into the fender, to the point where the fender flares popped out.

I spoke with JIma dn Nick and SWs. They suggested the following fixes:

- The bracket and bumper slots are 9/16", while the bolts are 1/2". SO use 9/16" hardware on the top and bottom holes of the bumper and bracket to prevent lateral movement. This should stabilize the bumper. It might require to clear of some powercoat on the holes with a drill bit, file or dremel. Obviously keep the center bolts to hold the bumper in place while you fit the larger bolts.

- FIt the bumper and postition it where you want, then find a spot where you can drill 3/8" holes through the bumper and bracket on both sides. FIt check bolts to secure the bumper in place tightly. i.e. the bolts fit tight in the holes. They will look into if there is a proper space on both bumper and bracket to do it.

- Last solution would be to tack weld the bracket and bumper after it was fitted. Thsi obviously will require to grind it off when you remove the bumper at some point. This should be considered the last option.

My 4Runner is at 4x4labs currently and Luke looked at it last week and pretty much gave the same options and mentioned. Luke will be securing my bumper. I will update when I find out more from Luke.

Anyhow, look at it if you have the same issues. However if you plan to winch you should probably look into it a bit more seriously.

If you don't have an issue, let us know how you secured your bumper and the setup you have. Mine has a couple of things that makes the mounting worse (winch, bodylift), so it might not be a common issue.

Jim mentioned that they used the exact same stup on the Xterras for the brakcet to winch mount without issues. Maybe the longer flares is what shows the problem, don't know.

Anyway, enjoy adn discuss.

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
Dealmaker
Senior Driver

So if I understand you correctly, nothing bent, i.e. bumper mounts/brackets, etc. Your problem was solely due to the bumper moving around on its mounting bolts. Is that right?
Dealmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealmaker View Post
So if I understand you correctly, nothing bent, i.e. bumper mounts/brackets, etc. Your problem was solely due to the bumper moving around on its mounting bolts. Is that right?
Yep from what I looked at nothing bend. We were able to simply push the bumper back in place before I drove home. It seems to pivot around the frame backet and bumper mount bolts. I have Luke looking into it and he wil report back if anything bend (highly unlikely).

However a tip for anybody with a winch, don't use a snatch block and tie the end of the winch back to the bumper. This doubles you pullign capacity and also you load on the bumper.

2019 Low Rider
Unread 03-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Well I too had someone look at this problem. My resolve will be to install a winch and then finally weld along the brackets in some strategic locations. I can't forsee a time when I will need to remove the whole bumper and winch setup on any regular basis so I am happy to have to grind off welds if this became really necessary.

Presently because I have no winch so I am not concerned. I have simply sinched up the current bolts as tight as I feel comfortable.

I do think i might swap out the bolts for larger ones as suggested.

Mark
04 V8 SE, Completion date July 24: RST Solid axles Swap, Atlas Crawl Case, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Well I too had someone look at this problem. My resolve will be to install a winch and then finally weld along the brackets in some strategic locations. I can't forsee a time when I will need to remove the whole bumper and winch setup on any regular basis so I am happy to have to grind off welds if this became really necessary.

Presently because I have no winch so I am not concerned. I have simply sinched up the current bolts as tight as I feel comfortable.

I do think i might swap out the bolts for larger ones as suggested.

Mark
You can fit a winch without removing the bumper. I fitted the large Ramsey winch while the bumper was on. Not the most comfortable thing to do, but doable.

2019 Low Rider
Unread 03-02-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
expat
White Boomer (Kangaroo)

Yep, realise that, but until I have a winch the movement in the bullbar is not really an issue for me. So I'll wait till the $ are available for the winch, instal that, then weld.
04 V8 SE, Completion date July 24: RST Solid axles Swap, Atlas Crawl Case, 40" Cooper STT Pro's on Fuel Anza D116 Beadlocks, 5:38 gear set, ADS Coilovers, 4x4 labs R.Bumper.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 07:30 PM   #7
loner
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
- FIt the bumper and postition it where you want, then find a spot where you can drill 3/8" holes through the bumper and bracket on both sides. FIt check bolts to secure the bumper in place tightly. i.e. the bolts fit tight in the holes. They will look into if there is a proper space on both bumper and bracket to do it.
For reference, this is how the ARB bumper is secured.
loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
ToyFamily
Driver

As stated above, this is exactly how our Xterra mounting set up, which is 3 - 1/2" bolts with the same hole tolerance, in which we are very confident. And we have yet to have a problem with this mounting system with the Xterra.

But for some reason you guys are different. So I would say to use the 9/16" bolts to take up the tolerance of the hole. However, we are making a few changes to further remedy the problem.

Nick
ToyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2007, 03:55 PM   #9
Tucson T4R
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Yep from what I looked at nothing bend. We were able to simply push the bumper back in place before I drove home. It seems to pivot around the frame backet and bumper mount bolts.
If you were able to just push the bumper back into place, that indicates to me the mounting bolts must have been too loose. There is no way I could realign my bumper without losening the mounting bolts first. Now that I have the 1/2" body lift installed, the bumper has never touched the body even when running hard in sand washes and bumpy roads. I have not seen any movement yet. I'll try some winching to see if I can get to move but so far, no problem here. Maybe it's because I over torque everything all the time.

2004 V8 Sport
OME Suspension Lift
Springs: OME 886/895
Shocks: OME N140S/N142S
1/2" 4Crawler Body Lift
265/70/17 BF Goodrich AT/KO
Dual batteries
Shrockworks Bumper and Sliders
Ramsey 9500 Synthetic Wireless Winch
Tucson T4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2007, 03:58 PM   #10
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson T4R View Post
If you were able to just push the bumper back into place, that indicates to me the mounting bolts must have been too loose. There is no way I could realign my bumper without losening the mounting bolts first. Now that I have the 1/2" body lift installed, the bumper has never touched the body even when running hard in sand washes and bumpy roads. I have not seen any movement yet. I'll try some winching to see if I can get to move but so far, no problem here. Maybe it's because I over torque everything all the time.
Yeah let us know how yours work out. It seems that it is only happening to some folks. Hard winching will definitely test your mount.

I don't think we could have tightened the mounting bolts any more on mine either.

2019 Low Rider
Unread 03-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #11
Tucson T4R
Driver

Were you really able to push the bumper back into alignment by hand?

2004 V8 Sport
OME Suspension Lift
1/2" 4Crawler Body Lift
Dual batteries
Unread 03-05-2007, 04:14 PM   #12
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Were you really able to push the bumper back into alignment by hand?
YEp 2 of us were. It was only after it got loose with winching. So I would say the winching unsettled it completely. What I mean by hand is that 2 people putting their weight into got it back somewhat, and it stayed there.

2019 Low Rider
Unread 03-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #13
Tucson T4R
Driver

OK, thanks....I'll stress mine and see what happens.

2004 V8 Sport
OME Suspension Lift
1/2" 4Crawler Body Lift
Dual batteries
Unread 04-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #14
bulldog
Admin

4x4labs drilled the holes slightly bigger and fitted 3 larger bolts on each side. I don't have the specs on the bolts, but will find out. Tehy seems confident that any movement now will be metail deflecting, which I don't think will be an issue.

It seems pretty solid, but I guess I will test it out with the winch when I have my truck back.

2019 Low Rider
Unread 04-17-2007, 05:41 AM   #15
ToyFamily
Driver

If you are looking for an easier and quiality remedy if you are having trouble is to grab some 9/16" bolts (the bumper was sent with 1/2"). The holes are 9/16" (room for PC), so some finagling may be necessary, but that would be a tight fit.

Nick
Unread 04-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #16
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Mine has been a bit of a nuisance for some time. Then we finally got it be level on both sides, with a 1/4" gap on each side. Then, on Wed. the 4th, I had to winch out a 7000 lb Sequoia out of Lake Mead. 7000 lbs, + mud, + water from the lake, + it being buried to the frame. I had the Sequoia driver shovel out everywhere before I hooked up, and as I was pulling him out of the lake, I heard my bumper snap out of alignment.
At that point, it was resting on my driver side fender. We adjusted it back down again, but it isn't the same as it was before I pulled. Brett wants to weld it into place, as I doubt that I'm every going to take it off.

I'll buy some 9/16th bolts, I forget how long though.
I'll Try that and see what happens.
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2007, 04:50 AM   #17
ToyFamily
Driver

They would be 9/16" 1 1/2" bolts, and you'd really only have use for 4 (top and bottom holes). Keep us posted.

Nick
Unread 04-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #18
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyFamily View Post
They would be 9/16" 1 1/2" bolts, and you'd really only have use for 4 (top and bottom holes). Keep us posted.

Nick

HUH
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
Unread 04-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #19
Tucson T4R
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by my034runner View Post
HUH
What huh?? The recomended bolt size is 9/16" X 1 1/2" and you really only benefit from installing them in the top and bottom holes on the mounting bracket. That will lock it in place and not allow movement. I plan to do that even though I haven't had problem yet. I will also probably use grade 8 bolts just to be anal about it.

2004 V8 Sport
OME Suspension Lift
1/2" 4Crawler Body Lift
Dual batteries
Unread 04-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #20
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyFamily View Post

Nick
Quote:
What huh?? The recommended bolt size is 9/16" X 1 1/2" and you really only benefit from installing them in the top and bottom holes on the mounting bracket. That will lock it in place and not allow movement. I plan to do that even though I haven't had problem yet. I will also probably use grade 8 bolts just to be anal about it.

I sometimes do a HUH, when I try and read the sum of the sentence.
After translating, I got what he was saying. I have to do that a LOT for Andries!!!

I actually gave up posting the Huhs on him!!