Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Outfitting

Unread 10-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
FJFJFJ
Driver

Default SW bumper install soon, winch install advise ?

hello, i going to install the SW bumper soon and have a question for the winch set up. i know it save time and convenient to install all at one but i dont want to over spend at this time.
1. is it a lot of work if i put the winch on later ?
2. how much weight of the metal rope on the winch ? i want to go w/ master-pull but it is expensive.
3. is everyone highly recommended to have the winch now ?
thanks for all your help.
BFG 265/70-17 AT KO, All-Pro HD Adj rear uper/lower links kit, OW 2.5 Full kit, medic link, spider trax, K&N intake kit. Kurt Diff bracket. Demello Hybrid bolt on slider. Shockworks Bumper. Bud full bottom + SS diff cover.Warn 9.5 XP with Master Pull XD rope. Front sway off, 2 ARB High Intensity LED.Flowmaster SS exhaut kit.
FJFJFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
SP Jon M3
Senior Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJFJFJ View Post
hello, i going to install the SW bumper soon and have a question for the winch set up. i know it save time and convenient to install all at one but i dont want to over spend at this time.
2. how much weight of the metal rope on the winch ? i want to go w/ master-pull but it is expensive.
It's easy to put the winch on after the bumper install. In fact when I first put my bumper on I had the winch installed. According to the shrockworks instructions that's the easiest way. Well, Personally I disagree, it just makes the bumper heaver and more difficult to install. After I got my new 4Runner and went to reinstall the bumper I left my winch out. And as long as you move the AC line according to the instructions, the winch will slide right in (I have a Warn 9.5xp, so other winches might be more problematic to install). I'm able to install/remove the winch by myself in about 10-15 min (not including spooling/unspooling the line).

The metal winch like is rather heavy, add that with the roller fairlead, and you're looking at about 20-30 lbs heaver than synth line and aluminum fairlead. I run synth line for two reasons: first, safety.. if the synth line snaps it just falls to the ground, if metal snaps, the metal cable will whip around. second, weight, I figure I'm already adding a whole lot more weight to the front end of the car with bumper, winch, and lights.. I might as well try to save some weight and stress on the frame.

I've only use my winch once to get myself unstuck in the snow. But that one time being able to get out right away was worth it to me. I've also used it to help out a few other that were stuck in the snow, so it was cool to be able to offer a hand...

well.. it's nice to be able to give a helping hand until it causes more problems for me and my truck one time.. but that's another story for another time..
Unread 10-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
medic83
Solid Axle Beast

i would do it after the bumper is put on.... the bumper is heavy enough and the added weight of the winch plus if its spooled with steel cable.... Have fun lifting that!! When I did mine, I put the winch in a few weeks after as I did not have the winch yet.
Unread 10-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
07 Elephant

I agree that the bumper is heavy enough and you can service the winch without having to remove the bumper. So get your bumper installed and save up for the right winch and definitely replace the steel line with synthetic.
Unread 10-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
FJFJFJ
Driver

thanks everyone for a quick inputs. i never know that i can take the winch in/out w/out remove the bumper. so i'm going to wait until i can get the syn line and the winch together.
BFG 265/70-17 AT KO, All-Pro HD Adj rear uper/lower links kit, OW 2.5 Full kit, medic link, spider trax, K&N intake kit. Kurt Diff bracket. Demello Hybrid bolt on slider. Shockworks Bumper. Bud full bottom + SS diff cover.Warn 9.5 XP with Master Pull XD rope. Front sway off, 2 ARB High Intensity LED.Flowmaster SS exhaut kit.
FJFJFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
MCL68
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJFJFJ View Post
I agree with everyone,install the winch after the bumper is mounted to the truck.With the winch mounted to the bumper your playing with around 200 or so pounds you have to lift.

The majority of winches come with steel cable already installed,i highly recommend synthetic winch line.Master Pull is high quality line,but also look at Winchline.com for more choices.Synthetic line is probably 1/3 the weight of steel cable.

5/16" Line is sufficient for most recovery work,but if you are able to get some 3/8" winch line, it will be much stronger. I plan on going to 3/8" line when i have to replace my present 5/16" line.

You can wait on the winch if you want,It really depends if you feel you need one right away.In the meantime you can shop around for a winch. Amazon has good deals on Warn winches time to time and also check the Winch depot.com for deals.IMHO stick with either Warn,Ramsey,Superwinch or Mile marker...Also depends how much you want to spend.

One thing about choosing a winch for the SW bumper,be sure the winch has a solenoid box that can be remotely mounted...the bumper was originally designed to mount a Warn 9000-9500 winch.But other brands can be mounted.

BTW: Don't forget to pickup a snatchblock or two....It will double the pull capacity of your winch.

Last edited by MCL68; 10-30-2010 at 12:57 PM.
MCL68 is offline   Reply With Quote