Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Offroad Tech and Tips > Offroad techniques and tips

Unread 08-11-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
bulldog
Admin

Talking 4Lo and 1st geat down hill (V8 4Runner)

I noticed this weekend again on my V8 4Runner with the 5spd auto box, that if you are in 4Lo and put it in 1st gear it locks the torque converter when going downhill.

So it basically works exactly the same as a stick shift for engine braking on steep slow hill descents. No need for braking or using DAC on most steep hills.

I tried again on Garcia Ridge and it worked like a chram.

I think the 4spd might do the same, but with less dramatic effect as the gearing is slightly higher and the engine slightly smaller.

Just thought I would share.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
timber725
Rookie

I never knew about the locked torque converter (wouldn't know how to tell). But I've done it on some steep descents with 1st gear, 4Lo, and DHA enabled.

It actually works pretty nice together.
timber725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2005, 01:37 PM   #3
bulldog
Admin

It works pretty well even without DAC. I found DAC to be too slow in some situations. Just having it locked in first gear works fine for most hills.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 05-22-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
Ryanmb21
Some Guy

Question question

Do you think using this technique with the center diff locked puts a lot unneeded stress on the center differential?

I used 4lo 1st a bunch on Saturday, it worked great, I barely needed to use the brakes but about 2/3 the way down I realized the center diff was still locked......is that a stupid thing to do? Should I have unlocked the center diff before I started the decent? Does it work better with the center diff locked?
Ryanmb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
bulldog
Admin

I normally have my center diff locked for steep climbs and decends unless the surface has very good traction. So I would say as a general rule keep it locked fro climbs and decends, it wont put any real strain on the transfer case unless the surace has good grip (like pavement) and you are making turns.

Remember most 4x4 are part time and don't even have a center diff and are always locked when using 4WD.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 08-23-2006, 03:38 PM   #6
Jeffreal
Rookie

Default Push start / Roll-start

Just curious, but based on the torque converter lockup you describe in 4Lo and 1, would it be possible to push or roll-start a 4R? Assuming of course that you have enough juice left to actuate 4Lo in the transfer case and can quickly shift from N to 1. Or does the tranny still require hydraulic pressure from the input shaft?
Jeffreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2006, 03:47 PM   #7
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Hypothetically you can pop-start any automatic, but I believe they need to be going like 35mph for it to work.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2006, 04:29 PM   #8
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreal
Just curious, but based on the torque converter lockup you describe in 4Lo and 1, would it be possible to push or roll-start a 4R? Assuming of course that you have enough juice left to actuate 4Lo in the transfer case and can quickly shift from N to 1. Or does the tranny still require hydraulic pressure from the input shaft?
Not sure on this as the engine was running when doing it, so the TQ converter had pressure. I don't think it will work to push start the engine.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
Unread 03-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #9
JeepResQ
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!

Smile So true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
I normally have my center diff locked for steep climbs and decends unless the surface has very good traction. So I would say as a general rule keep it locked fro climbs and decends, it wont put any real strain on the transfer case unless the surace has good grip (like pavement) and you are making turns.

Remember most 4x4 are part time and don't even have a center diff and are always locked when using 4WD.
I am glad someone pointed this out .
I was all giddy because I bought a 2006 TR4 with a "locker".
After research, I found out what the whole AWD/4WD thing and I was a little disgruntled. Yeah, its nice and all, but a rear locker straight outta an FJ would be nice since (according to dealership), the axles are indentical.
JeepResQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #10
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepResQ View Post
Yeah, its nice and all, but a rear locker straight outta an FJ would be nice since (according to dealership), the axles are indentical.
The way I see it is it's just an excuse for us to add a beefier locker and make other improvements to the rear end at the same time.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 04:04 AM   #11
JeepResQ
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!

Cool So very true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
The way I see it is it's just an excuse for us to add a beefier locker and make other improvements to the rear end at the same time.

I have thought about that for a while. Be kinda kool to see a TR4 with rear steer!
JeepResQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2007, 06:38 PM   #12
JeepResQ
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!

Default I must admit

After really throttling ATRAC, I like it!!!
Unread 11-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #13
foureyedwilly
Rookie

Oh boy, resurecting the dead here. I suck at searching so asking here...

Is there a way to use the DAC without being in 4LO? Has anyone come up with a way to override?

Thanks and I love OLDIES!
foureyedwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #14
Darklight
Old Timer

The short answer is , No. DAC works only in 4LO. Here is a good read about it below. I have not really had a chance to use my DAC that much but, the couple times that i have used it, nice and slow and low...
By the way using 4Lo and 1st going down steep hills or grades works great! Agreed about locking the center diff in lose or slippery conditions ....Mine is a V6

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...9HAC_DAC_r.pdf
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Total Chaos Race series 2" plus kit, King 700 lbs LT coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #15
Bahnstoermer
Driver

That's cool... 4WD engine braking is so superior to the brakes for slowing down on slipper surfaces it's ridiculous... glad the T4R V8 5spd is particularly good in this area!!!
Unread 12-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #16
Teotwaki
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnstoermer View Post
That's cool... 4WD engine braking is so superior to the brakes for slowing down on slipper surfaces it's ridiculous... glad the T4R V8 5spd is particularly good in this area!!!
2005 and up V6 also have the 5 speed
HQ sliders, OW Suspension, LT265/75/R16C Duratracs, rear diff. breather, ScanGauge II, Garmin 276C, Engel 45 fridge, All-Pro LCAs, TC A-Arm Skids, dual batteries, Downey skid plate, Cyclone pre-filter, ARB Compressor & Rear Locker!! Offroad Trailer
Photos http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1237
Teotwaki is offline   Reply With Quote