Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Offroad Tech and Tips > Offroad techniques and tips

Unread 10-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #21
bulldog
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBmurphy View Post
One other point with rock crawling... Use one foot on the brake, one foot on the gas. Get used to it. You will gain far more control. You will also benefit by learning how to load up your torque converter when trying to get up on to something.
Yep, and you also don't get the acceleration when dropping down a rock, etc. Much more stable to use the brake and gas with an auto for slow technical terrain.

However make sure to have a tranny cooler. The V6 4Runner doesn't have it and I have no seen a few with larger tires heat up the tranny. SOme Tacos and the V8 4Runner doesn't seem to have this issue as they have coolers.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #22
CAN-03runner
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBmurphy View Post
One other point with rock crawling... Use one foot on the brake, one foot on the gas. Get used to it. You will gain far more control. You will also benefit by learning how to load up your torque converter when trying to get up on to something.
Good info guys. My other car is a manual so I am used to the left foot right foot, and I have used that technique to have better control. Good to hear that is a viable technique that others here use sucessfully.

I just liked the idea of DAC and it worked pretty good for me this passed weekend so that I don't have to ride the brakes all the way down. Mind you DAC is also making use of the brakes too I believe.

For the torque converter, how does that work. What triggers that, what RPM is needed.

The trail guide had me climb up a rock face. Just going towards it and trying to climb..nothing. Then he had me keep my foot on the brake and press the gas, then at some point he had me start to release the brakes and keep my foot on the gas, and up over the rock face I went. It was pretty cool. I've tried it on my own, but I wasn't successful. Any tips for this....like what RPM, length of time to keep the brakes pressed, and does it only work on rocks not in sand or mud etc...
CAN-03runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #23
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAN-03runner View Post
For the torque converter, how does that work. What triggers that, what RPM is needed.
how a TC works
By power braking you get the TC spinning, throwing more torque to the wheels, but you're holding the brakes so the vehicle isn't charging forward. You get effectively more torque to the wheels without an increase in velocity. What RPM is needed varies with the obstacle and environment and is more of a feel thing than a specific number.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com

Last edited by Mikestang; 10-29-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2010, 06:07 AM   #24
CAN-03runner
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestang View Post
how a TC works
By power braking you get the TC spinning, throwing more torque to the wheels, but you're holding the brakes so the vehicle isn't charging forward. You get effectively more torque to the wheels without an increase in velocity. What RPM is needed varies with the obstacle and environment and is more of a feel thing than a specific number.
Hmn. Nice! thanks for the link. Torque converter is an actual thing and not a concept. Going to have to practice this to get a feel for how to make use of the added initial torque it provides.
CAN-03runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #25
afghi420
Rookie

Default CDL on rock

I had a question, if you use the CDL when climbing or descending on rocky terrain, wouldn't that be the same as driving on hard packed surface? Or is it only bad if all 4 wheels are on a good traction surface? If you are just going over a small boulder with one wheel or one side of the vehicle is this ok? What about if you come upon an area that is all rock, say you are in an area where the entire surface is all rock, wouldn't using the CDL in this situation be the same as driving on pavement?
afghi420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #26
Photog
Old Timer

With the CDL locked, any the drive line tension should be released, when one tire loses traction.
2004 Sport V6, OME lift, 255/75R17 MTR's, Spider Trax, Super Sliders, Truck Vault, Black Widow basket, shift knob, Mini CB, Lil' Wil Antenna, 276c GPS, Scion T1806, iPod, Scan Gauge II, ..Build Thread

Regardless of our opinions, the Truth still exists.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #27
Robinhood4x4
Driver

You'll know when things are binding up when you make a sharp turn and it's hard to turn the steering wheel and/or you need more gas pedal than you think you should need. So basically, you can feel when things are binding.

Usually when crawling around on rocks and boulders, there's enough dust on the rocks or a tire lifts enough to allow slippage.

In places like moab, where you're essentially driving on sand paper, yes, you will bind up the drive train.
Unread 05-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #28
Mifwb23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
Teh 5th Gen 4Runner TE and LC200 has crawl control where you can set the speed. However I suspect the slowest speed will still be too fast for tougher rock terrain.
The crawl control on mine is extremely slow when it is set in the slowest setting. I could pretty much walk next to it. And yes using it is cheating, also it is sort of annoying all the noise it makes. It is a cool feature though and I have used it to get over some slippery areas.
2010 Trail Edition: Magnetic Gray Metallic, KDSS, Seat Heaters, Infinity Kappa 32.9cf, Bilstein 5100s front/back set at 2.5", Toytec superflex rear coils 2", Goodyear Duratracs 285/70/17, 10lb Powertank, VIAIR 300P Air Compressor, Cobra 75 WSXT
1969 FJ40: V8(350), SOA, 35", Disk brakes, Power steering, Dana 300, TH350
Mifwb23 is offline   Reply With Quote