Does anyone know?

And I mean "actually" know. Not speculation

Thanks!
4runherpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
4runherpow
Rookie

No one??

Does anyone at least knows who manufactures it?
Unread 11-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
bulldog
Admin

The parts numbers will like be different. You can check the pictures here on connection points. It may fit, but the tuning will be slightly different.

Search back for the old XREAS threads, may say the manufacturer on it.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #4
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Yamaha
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #5
4runherpow
Rookie

Thanks guys.

Here is what I have learned thus far. Hopefully this info with help future XREAS owners.

What I wanted:

To replace my XREAS shocks and struts without having to pay an arm and a leg for new replacements.

What I did:

I bought a 2015 limited 4runner XREAS system. Taken off a 2015 4runner, whos owner replaced with a different suspension (lift kit, I believe). I bought the whole system. Lines, controllers, shocks and struts. The seller told me the part numbers were the same as my 4th gen, and in his opinion it should bolt right on. For the record, NONE of the part numbers are the same -- shocks, controllers, etc. Lesson learned, do not take someone's word for it even if they appear to be extremely knowledgable on the subject when discussing.

What I learned:

1. From a technical prespective, the XREAS system changed part numbers when the body style changed from 4th gen to the 5th gen. From a practical standpoint, however, the 5th gen system COULD work with the 4th gen body, given you retain the controllers and lines of the 4th gen. The newer 5th gen lines appear to have a different shape and pattern. And since they are hard lines with pressure as their main function, it probably would not bode well to bend their shape to fit an older application.

2. Caveats to using the 5th gen system on a 4th gen body:
-first main thing I learned, the rear XREAS on 4th gen comes in two formats (and yes, two different part numbers). There are rear shocks for those 4th gens who have coil springs and different rear shocks for those 4th gens that have AIRBAG system for springs. This is what will probably screw me in the end, because NONE of the 5th gen XREAS equipped vehicles have air suspension in the rear. Thus, if you buy a 5th gen XREAS setup and plan to attempt to fit it on your 4th gen, it appears, that you MUST HAVE SPRING COILS. I don't know why exactly this is or even why the rear shocks (and yes, the controllers AND LINES are different part numbers for air equipped XREAS) are different. My only guess is that since the air suspension can be adjusted up and down, that means the shock needs more travel and perhaps a different pressurization, hence also necessitating the different controllers/lines then the coil spring versions.
-The fronts might be direct bolt ons but I am unsure of their tuning considering I have a V8 and all the new 4runners only come in V6

If anyone would like to offer up any info regarding why the coil spring version rear shocks are different from their airbag spring counter parts, I AM ALL EARS!!

Otherwise, if I can not get a handle on whether or not this still might work to bolt on. I will be selling a basically brand new 2015 full XREAS SYSTEM with less than 15k on it... And no joke... It looks like its brand new. I want to put it on so bad!!

Comments extremely welcome... Thanks to all who provide their 2cents
Unread 11-11-2015, 11:26 PM   #6
bulldog
Admin

The XREAS system is useless if it wasn't removed correctly, all the shocks has to be fully extended and then disconnected at the correct points. I don't think the lines needs to be replaced.

Measure the extended length on the new and current shocks you have, to see if it matches up. If so you will likely be ready to go. Typically airbag setups rely on the shock to prevent over extension, but doubt it will be a hug difference. Measure and see.

The 5th Gen V6 weighs in similar or more than the 4th Gen V8, so I would worry too much about it. The lower front mount on the 5th gen is different than the 4th Gen, but should still fit on the 4th Gen with a little effort.

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #7
4runherpow
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
The XREAS system is useless if it wasn't removed correctly, all the shocks has to be fully extended and then disconnected at the correct points. I don't think the lines needs to be replaced.

Measure the extended length on the new and current shocks you have, to see if it matches up. If so you will likely be ready to go. Typically airbag setups rely on the shock to prevent over extension, but doubt it will be a hug difference. Measure and see.

The 5th Gen V6 weighs in similar or more than the 4th Gen V8, so I would worry too much about it. The lower front mount on the 5th gen is different than the 4th Gen, but should still fit on the 4th Gen with a little effort.

Good info.

I asked specific questions about the removal and the seller disconnected them properly. Assuming he actually did it the way he said he did.

Your comment regarding shock travel and stopping airbags from over extending makes sense.

Why do you think though that different controllers are used for the airbag setup then with th cool spring setup. It's not just different rear shocks for the XREAS, it's different pump units too...

Thoughts..
Unread 11-13-2015, 10:59 AM   #8
4runherpow
Rookie

Anyone got an idea as the fitting the XREAS rear shocks designed for spring coils on a truck that has airbags??

Any thoughts are appreciated
Unread 08-23-2016, 05:50 PM   #9
dagen
Rookie

I just read your post and that is a total bummer about the 5th gen system not matching up.

I just pulled (the correct way) an XREAS system from my 2006 sport. (non-airbag).
If you're interested, I would be willing to pull the controllers from the frame and send you the whole system. Let me know if that would be a help for you. If not then no problem and I hope that you are able to find an airbag setup easily. . .

On a side note, I did have a daystar lift kit with the XREAS installed and it ran well. I imagine that part of the part numbers being different for airbags is to compensate for the extra length that the "pumped up" airbags would add. I don't know that for fact, just speculating.
Unread 08-26-2016, 06:13 AM   #10
tigerwong58
Rock Ninja

I enjoy my 2005 X-Reas system now, handling is great, but when it leaks I am going to replace it with a nice lifted shock system. Currently the system is working with the front leveling lift and 3.5" rear springs, no issues, no hop.

Last edited by tigerwong58; 08-26-2016 at 06:47 AM.
tigerwong58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #11
4runherpow
Rookie

Reviving old thread...

Bulldog:
Could you elaborate on the differences of the lower front strut mount please? Spacers or something?

I'm about ready to put these bad boys on. What I did was bought new oem rears that fit the airbag system and hoping to install the 5th gen fronts. Save a little cash... "Franken-Runner" haha.

Side note: I t-boned a lady who pulled a u turn right in front of me 4 weeks ago. It was her fault and after fighting tooth and nail with the insurance company they would not pay to fix my runner. $10,000 worth of damage. So instead of taking the payout I took her back and I'm fixing her myself. I wouldn't let my baby be used for parts!!!

I thought the die hards on here could appreciate the love one has for his runner