Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 12-31-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
t-rex grrr
Is that a scratch!?

Default Weird Issue - Tweeters popping after battery cleaning??

Hi Guys,

While browsing YouTube, I came across this video that talked about how a conductive layer can be formed around a dirty battery. My battery was filthy from lots of trail riding, so I decided to whip out the volt meter to see what type of voltage I would get from the housing. I was expecting something along the lines of what is seen in the video, but sh*t, my volt meter was reading upwards towards the 70s when I touched the housing! Seemed like a good time for a cleaning.

https://youtu.be/UImtyV_ujhg

Took the battery out and used some hot water and baking soda to clean off the battery - I also cleaned off the terminals and sanded them down. After some sizzle sizzle and a ton of paper towels, the battery housing was reading zero on the volt meter, so back in the truck she went.

Started up the car with what seemed to be a little more pep, and the faintest whine from my alternator was also gone. Things were looking good. I then turned off the engine, ate breakfast, then started the truck back up to run some errands.

HERE'S THE WEIRD PART
As I'm sitting in my driveway with the engine running, I'm listening to an Outkast CD when all of a sudden I start hearing this loud pop from my tweeters. It wasn't constant, but it was consistent where it would hit at a couple of spots during one specific song.

Quite frustrated, I turned the volume down and continued to drive for the next 20 mins listening for the pop on the other tracks, but nothing, only on that one track. When I get to my destination, I turn the engine off, pop the hood, and inspect for any loose connections, but nothing. Stumped, I walked into Lowes to run my errand, then return to my car 15 minutes later, start it up, play the popping track and NOTHING. I gradually turn the music up and repeat the track as well as some others, but still nothing. After that I ran a few other errands which resulted in turning on and off the engine multiple times.

So far the popping is gone. I was worried that I short circuited something, so I'm thankful that that isn't the case, but I'm still puzzled with what could have caused the popping sound in the first place. Maybe the cleaned battery had to settle a bit? I dunno.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
t-rex grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2018, 12:44 AM   #2
bulldog
Admin

You may have to check the engine and alternator ground circuits. Also the voltage regulator in the alt may be going bad.
Do you have aftermarket head unit or amp ?

03 pavement princess
06 toaster
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2018, 04:30 AM   #3
t-rex grrr
Is that a scratch!?

[quote=bulldog;214488]You may have to check the engine and alternator ground circuits. Also the voltage regulator in the alt may be going bad.
Do you have aftermarket head unit or amp

This is the fist time that I’ve experienced this since owning the vehicle from 2005.

I have both an aftermarket amp and head unit, but have never had an issue with either.

I think this just might be a random one off situation, it’s just so strange!

Last edited by t-rex grrr; 01-01-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Unread 01-08-2018, 11:43 AM   #4
Darklight
Old Timer

Hush that fuss, lol

Any kind of feed back or popping (like you're referring to) will usually be from a poorly grounded battery connection on the head unit, amp or battery. Since you removed the battery just check over the ground connections and make sure the area is reconnected without any dirt or grime on the terminals. This is also called a ground loop, don't think you shorted anything,

Sounds like it worked itself out though.

Bobby
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Total Chaos Race series 2" plus kit, King 700 lbs LT coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2018, 08:57 AM   #5
chayos00
Desert SW Roamer

Well in the world or IT.... as we would say "Have your turned it off and back on again?" Ah look problem solved itself! LOL

Out of curiosity, what are you running for your, assuming aftermarket speakers? I've got Polks all around except for my subs.
"I'm an AMERICAN by birth and a VETERAN by choice!"
chayos00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2018, 11:48 AM   #6
Darklight
Old Timer

Hertz Audioson for me. Won’t listen to another brand again.
2008 Black 4X4Runner SR5 V6, Total Chaos Race series 2" plus kit, King 700 lbs LT coilovers & MetalTech stage 5 LT rear, 315/75R16 KM2, Strike 6 16x8.5 -6 wheels , Demello offroad 3 hoop, 4X4Labs rear, ATO, RCI ,BudBuilt, Stubbs sliders, 4Crawler B/L 3/4", DynoMax , K&N , Speski barrier, sPOD, ARB CKM12, ARB locker front/rear 4.56 gears WMW roof rack
Darklight's Build
Darklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2018, 08:51 PM   #7
t-rex grrr
Is that a scratch!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
Well in the world or IT.... as we would say "Have your turned it off and back on again?" Ah look problem solved itself! LOL

Out of curiosity, what are you running for your, assuming aftermarket speakers? I've got Polks all around except for my subs.
Haha, I think the problem DID resolve itself after a power cycle.

As for my speakers, I have 3.5 Polk Audio coaxial tweeters, Focal mids, and a JL10W6 for the city and a 8W3 microsub for camping trips.