Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Suspension and Tires

Unread 05-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
Newyorker2la
Rookie

Default 5th Gen TE Upgrade Thoughts

Hey Everyone,

The posts on here have been a great help so I wanted to register and get your thoughts on some upgrades I'm making to my silver 2010 TE. I've just installed some SW sliders and purchased the OW 2.5 full suspension kit before they went out of business. I plan to purchase some light racing or ICON UCAs this week. I'll be running my 4runner on some real muddy, sandy and pothole infested roads for the next couple of years. Based on some recommendations, I'll probably go with BFG KM2s but always open to other suggestions. Price isn't a factor...just quality/performance.

For wheels, I think I've settled on the MHT Fuel Offroads but stuck on two different models and wouldn't mind your thoughts. I'm looking at the Fuel Pump and Fuel Octane wheels. Feel free to throw around your thoughts on my other upgrades as well. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel Pump.jpg (13.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel Octane.jpg (44.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel Octane 4R.jpg (191.5 KB, 28 views)
Newyorker2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
UnionJack
Old Timer

Welcome to 120 and a good start to your build. Don't know much about the wheels you are choosing between but I would steer (pun intended) away from these, they have a similar design to another wheel that was used by Josh 220 that caused IIRC two tires to succumb to side wall damage when aired down. The sharp points cut into the side wall with low tire pressure:

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Newyorker2la
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack View Post
Welcome to 120 and a good start to your build. Don't know much about the wheels you are choosing between but I would steer (pun intended) away from these, they have a similar design to another wheel that was used by Josh 220 that caused IIRC two tires to succumb to side wall damage when aired down. The sharp points cut into the side wall with low tire pressure:

Great feedback, this is the kind of information I'm looking for that hasn't crossed my mind. Definitely a good reason to lean more towards the Octane potentially. I'll need to try to see the Pumps in person about those edges. Last thing I want to do is have a new BFG KM2 punctioned from the rim when I'm offroad.
Unread 05-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
PapaSmurf009
Peach State PreRunner

Have you seen the Method Race Wheels? They pretty similar to your two choices above. I know tons of people who have them and have never said one bad thing about them. The Standard in particular.

http://www.methodracewheels.com/products/

Jim

My Build
PapaSmurf009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
Newyorker2la
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf009 View Post
Have you seen the Method Race Wheels? They pretty similar to your two choices above. I know tons of people who have them and have never said one bad thing about them. The Standard in particular.

http://www.methodracewheels.com/products/

Jim
I hadn't heard of them and I appreciate you sending me the information. I think I still prefer the MHT Fuel Octanes a bit more. I just ordered my light racing UCA and OW 2.5 suspension kit today. I need to make my final decision on wheels and tires this week. Hopefully it will all be put together within the next 3 weeks.
Unread 05-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Newyorker2la
Rookie

So my shop in NOVA quoted be nearly $1500 for four BFG KM2s. I checked out Discount Tire Direct and got them purchased for $1135 out the door, including stems. Definitely not a bad way to go for tires!

Now the tires are shipped, light racing UCAs shipped and rear coils shipped. I'm just waiting for the rest of the OW 2.5 kit to be completed and sent out.

Tags
5th gen, suspension, tires and wheels, uca, wheels