Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 06-07-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Default 2nd Battery

Adries,
I know you like the Odyssey battery, and I think that the one you used is a smaller battery, correct? Do you think that I should go with the smaller Odyssey, or maybe another Yellow or Red Top?
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
bulldog
Admin

Robert,

I got the Odessey 925 (MJT) (small packaging) as it fits neatly behind the airbox on the V8. It has enough juice for a second batt and also to help with startng and winching when needed. It is too small for a main batt. I also got the metal jacket to protect it a bit more against heat. WHne my main battery dies I will replace it with a Odessey 1700.

The 925 also has a nice battery bracket you can buy See dual batt write up.

The only way to fit a larger battery on the V8 is to get move the PS res and fit it in front of the airbox, but that is where I want to put a compressor in the future for lockers.

I like the odessey as it is a long life batt and can be used for deep cycles too.

SO for ist batt prob get the red top, but for a second batt definitely get a yellow top for deep cycle ability. Or just get odesseys all the way round. Prob is that they are expensive.

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
Vegas Runner
Super Moderator

I am also in the process of adding a second battery. I also want to add an ARB compressor. As usual I am moving at a snails pace to make sure I make decisions I can live with. If the power steering reservoir is located in a position behind the air cleaner there is enough room to put the ARB air compressor there also. I have made a mock up, out of wood, of a platform and also a mock up of the ARB compressor to ensure this. I am planning to have the platform fabricated from sheet metal (based on my mock up). The bracket for the power steering pump will need to be modified, however this is the easy part. There are three spot welds connecting the lower part of the power steering reservoir bracket to the top part. I will drill out these spot welds then use the three holes in the upper part of the bracket as mounting holes to attach to the sheet metal platform I will fabricate. I will also have sheet metal platform fabricated for the second battery where the power steering reservoir is currently located (I still have to make a mock up of this). What I need to find now is a sheet metal shop in the Las Vegas area to actually make the platforms.

Question to my034runner (Robert): Do you know of any sheet metal shops or hot rod shops in the Las Vegas area that might be a good choice for fabbing these shelves, or who may be able to refer me to someone who can?
Donahoes, OME 895/N142S, Conferr Rack, Hanna Sliders, Cobra 75WX CB, ARB Air, Dual Batts (24v/12v), Shrockworks Bumper, PIAA 510s & 520s, Rear Floodlights, Oil Filter Relo & Fumoto Valve, BumBuilt Skids, ATG620 Laptop & Docking Station, Kenwood D710A w/ APRS, GPS60, MM 12,000lb Hydraulic Winch, Capstan Winch, Power Steering Cooler & Filter, 1/2" RogerBrown Bodylift
Ed-KE7MWY
Vegas Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Runner
I am also in the process of adding a second battery. I also want to add an ARB compressor. As usual I am moving at a snails pace to make sure I make decisions I can live with. If the power steering reservoir is located in a position behind the air cleaner there is enough room to put the ARB air compressor there also. I have made a mock up, out of wood, of a platform and also a mock up of the ARB compressor to ensure this. I am planning to have the platform fabricated from sheet metal (based on my mock up). The bracket for the power steering pump will need to be modified, however this is the easy part. There are three spot welds connecting the lower part of the power steering reservoir bracket to the top part. I will drill out these spot welds then use the three holes in the upper part of the bracket as mounting holes to attach to the sheet metal platform I will fabricate. I will also have sheet metal platform fabricated for the second battery where the power steering reservoir is currently located (I still have to make a mock up of this). What I need to find now is a sheet metal shop in the Las Vegas area to actually make the platforms.

Question to my034runner (Robert): Do you know of any sheet metal shops or hot rod shops in the Las Vegas area that might be a good choice for fabbing these shelves, or who may be able to refer me to someone who can?

I talked to this guy named Clyde yesterday from NVTTORA and Pirate.com. he's got his buddy's shop and said that he can make anything. That's where he build up his rock crawling '85 Toyota p/u. PM me, and I'll give you his phone number. He's a hard core off roader, and has done some of the toughest trails around the west. He's switching gears now and he's building a Hot Rod model 'A' now, but he was cool to talk to about wheeling, and seems to know the right people.
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
Unread 06-07-2006, 07:13 PM   #5
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog
Robert,

I got the Odyssey 925 (MJT) (small packaging) as it fits neatly behind the air box on the V8. It has enough juice for a second batt and also to help with starting and winching when needed. It is too small for a main batt. I also got the metal jacket to protect it a bit more against heat. When my main battery dies I will replace it with a Odyssey 1700.

The 925 also has a nice battery bracket you can buy See dual batt write up.

The only way to fit a larger battery on the V8 is to get move the PS res and fit it in front of the air box, but that is where I want to put a compressor in the future for lockers.

I like the Odyssey as it is a long life batt and can be used for deep cycles too.

SO for ist batt prob get the red top, but for a second batt definitely get a yellow top for deep cycle ability. Or just get Odyssey's all the way round. Prob is that they are expensive.

I already have the Yellow top, and I have the V6. The V6 has more room on the passenger side - inside wheel well. I already have my air compressor there for my air bags, but I might take out the bag system all together, as I don't think I need them the way my rear susp. sits now. So there really is room for another Yellow top, but that small Odyssey you mentioned, probably doesn't weigh as much, and might give me more room for other stuff.
Unread 06-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
Vegas Runner
Super Moderator

Right on! It definitely helps to know the right people.
Donahoes, OME 895/N142S, Conferr Rack, Hanna Sliders, Cobra 75WX CB, ARB Air, Dual Batts (24v/12v), Shrockworks Bumper, PIAA 510s & 520s, Rear Floodlights, Oil Filter Relo & Fumoto Valve, BumBuilt Skids, ATG620 Laptop & Docking Station, Kenwood D710A w/ APRS, GPS60, MM 12,000lb Hydraulic Winch, Capstan Winch, Power Steering Cooler & Filter, 1/2" RogerBrown Bodylift
Ed-KE7MWY
Unread 06-07-2006, 07:18 PM   #7
bulldog
Admin

Sounds like you guys have good plans laid out. Just make sure when you add stuff to the passenger side that you don't block access to the dipstick(s). Also the more weight you add behind the front axle line the better, although a battery probably wont be the end of the world.

2019 Low Rider
bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2006, 07:26 PM   #8
Vegas Runner
Super Moderator

Right, the dipsticks will be harder to reach with my arrangement but they will still be accessible. The weight is a concern but I want a full size battery for capacity.
Ed-KE7MWY