Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > General Tech > GX470

Unread 03-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
WhiteH2O
Rookie

Default Suspension Questions

Looking for a little input on some suspension. I have spent hours reading the forums, and I think I have it figured out, but I could have easily missed something important.

I have a stock '06 GX and I would like a bit of a lift (ideally around 2"). I won't be doing any rock crawling, just rough roads, snow, and sand. From what I have read, I am liking the idea of keeping the air bags in back and stock springs in front (until something happens to prompt a replacement) and put Bilstein 5100s front and rear (186711 front and 187174 rear). Would there be a good reason to do front coils at the same time as the struts?

From what I understand, this should get a better ride for the time being, and give me the ability to upgrade front coils if they go bad or I get a big bumper/winch combo, and upgrade to coils in the back if I have any issues with the air bags.

Any really good reason to go with OME instead of the Bilsteins? They look like a little more $$, but I'm not sure I would get the benefit that the additional cost would justify.

Am I on the right track? Should this should give me what I am looking for? Thoughts? Recommendations? Should I click "checkout" on Amazon?
WhiteH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
larsdennert
Driver

Here's how I did it. https://plus.google.com/app/basic/ph...platform%253D1
Unread 04-11-2017, 09:50 PM   #3
Vortech
Rookie

Default 2" lift in front, maintain rear air bags

Same question as whiteH20, I want to lift the front 2". What shocks and springs do I need. Previous owner replaced rear airbags and shocks, so plan on doing rear sensor trick with washers. What is the best route for front lift
Vortech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2017, 11:05 PM   #4
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortech View Post
Same question as whiteH20, I want to lift the front 2". What shocks and springs do I need. Previous owner replaced rear airbags and shocks, so plan on doing rear sensor trick with washers. What is the best route for front lift
If you're going purely for looks and the cheapest way, just stick a spacer or leveling kit in there. This will make the ride a little more harsh and isn't great for off-roading.

To do it "right" check out the Bilstein 5100 kit, it's adjustable and will give you the 2" you're looking for, plus it's a nice improvement over stock. They have both front and rears for a pretty reasonable price, so especially if you do the work yourself you can greatly improve your ride and capability with a pretty low budget.
Unread 04-12-2017, 07:45 AM   #5
Vortech
Rookie

Default bilstein

I think I'd rather go the bilstein way, what are the part numbers, and what setting do you put the front shocks on. I believe there are 4
Vortech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
Jeffy
JetBoil Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortech View Post
I think I'd rather go the bilstein way, what are the part numbers, and what setting do you put the front shocks on. I believe there are 4
Check out this thread, there's some good info:
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19602

Keep in mind the 5100's don't come with the springs needed on the front. There's a link on that thread to another discussion about springs. That should be a great place to start. Take your time and research all this before diving in or you'll most likely regret it. Keep asking questions too, that's what this forum is for.