Toyota 120 Platforms Forum
Google only search Toyota120

Go Back   Toyota 120 Platforms Forum > Shared tech > Audio, Electronics and Electrical

Unread 07-20-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
Ryanmb21
Some Guy

Question $200 bucks for a new Key & remote !??!?!?!

Hey Guys,

With my 4runner I was given 2 black keys and 2 alarm remotes, well I lost 1 key and remote. I called the local dealership and a replacement key and remote is $179 bucks with additional labor fee for programming the thing! I was shocked, do any of you guys know of any other option?

I have my spare set so I'm not in a hurry, is there a place where I can order a pre-programmed replacement? Or a dealer that won't take me to the cleaners?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, $200 bucks!!!, that's like 3 tanks of gas!!!
Ryanmb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2006, 09:34 AM   #2
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanmb21
Hey Guys,

With my 4runner I was given 2 black keys and 2 alarm remotes, well I lost 1 key and remote. I called the local dealership and a replacement key and remote is $179 bucks with additional labor fee for programming the thing! I was shocked, do any of you guys know of any other option?

I have my spare set so I'm not in a hurry, is there a place where I can order a pre-programmed replacement? Or a dealer that won't take me to the cleaners?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, $200 bucks!!!, that's like 3 tanks of gas!!!

Three tanks of gas?! That's more 1.5 tanks of gas!

Seriously though, I can probably save you a little bit on the parts, but if they have to take into the shop and hook up the computer, then that's what you have to do. I think the newer 4R's have to be, my034runner they can reprogram on the drive. You should ask them if they can do it on the drive, or if they Have to put the scan tool on it. As far as getting one pre-programmed, the answer is no. They (both the key and remote) have to be programmed to your truck. The remote they should be able to do on the drive, it's the key that they might have to bring in. PM me, and I'll give you my number. Then you can get me your Vin # and I'll ask the parts department, based on that Vin # if it has to be taken into the shop.
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
Mikestang
Don't follow this guy

Check ebay, I see these things all the time there. Don't know if they're for 03+, but doesn't hurt to check.
'07 Ltd 4Runner v8 4x4 - Midland 75-822 + Wilson 5000, Garmin 276c, Magnaflow catback, Kurtfab front diff brace, 265/70/17 Goodyear ATA on Robby Gordon Signatures, Spidertrax, 3/4" BL, BajaRack, 2wd sway, Icon front, Overland Warehouse rear, Kurtfab v2.1 LCAs, MedicLinks, Slee SS lines, BB skids, Demello sliders & LCA ramps, All-Pro diff guard, TC full gusseted front, SW bumper
www.mikestang.com
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2006, 10:45 AM   #4
Ryanmb21
Some Guy

my034runner,

thanks for the reply! I sent you a PM and if we meet up on one of these trips the is on me
Ryanmb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2006, 08:27 AM   #5
my034runner
Toy120 Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanmb21
my034runner,

thanks for the reply! I sent you a PM and if we meet up on one of these trips the is on me

No problem, I returned your PM.
NVTTORA Prez..My034runner: DR/ICON coil overs, Icon 2.5 resis in the rear, custom coil springs, AllPro sliders, BudBuilt skids, KurtFab Lower links, AllPro Upper links, WabFab endlinks, Blackout safari rack, FourTreks HiLift mounts, 285/75/16 BFG's Ko's, MagnaFlow exhaust, Optima Blue&Red top, ShrockWorks bumper, MileMarkerE9000 winch, Engel MT-60 fridge, Sirius, Garmin60 Csx, Factory nav etc...
my034runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2006, 10:55 PM   #6
T4RUSAF
Driver

Hey I am in the same boat as you. On ebay you can get a 2pack for 70 bucks. Then what you will do is take it to one of there 10,000 locations to get it programmed. THey are located in Silicon Valley. I forgot the sellers name but do a search on 4runner key and you will see them. They do all makes and models so I would say they are solid. Are you in cali? We should go halves on this whole thing as I need a spare set too haha
T4RUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote